God's Sabbath rest is not a weekly seventh day rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Since I have no desire to keep the sabbath, you must be saying God's law isn't written on my heart. That means you are really saying I'm not a Christian.
It does make the dialogue interesting. From what I have read over the years, I am sure you are onto something.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Atheists and Hindus and Buddhists are "Gentiles" and they have no clue that "taking God's name in vain" - the God of the Christians - is "sin for them" - at least they don't go around preaching that idea.
Neither does any poster here in this forum. Where does that leave your idea?

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LUKE 18 [20] Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

The translated word for commandments in the above scripture is “entole”. As you can see its the 10 commandments. No doubt about it.

MATTHEW 19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The translated word for commandments in Matthew 19 is “entole”. Do you see all those "thou shalt nots". Again the 10 commandments. Everywhere in the new testament where you find the word "commandments" youll find its been translated from the greek word "entole"
So you change the verses and take them out of context. That is not proof of anything.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Abraham did not observe the 10 Cs, per Moses in Deut 5:3.
bugkiller

Moses said He kept God's Law including God's commandments.

Neh 9:13 is a case of a bible writer admitting that this is a reference to the commandments at Sinai.
“You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven, And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments.

Deut 8:11
11 "Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes which I am commanding you today;

GENESIS 26 [3] Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I WILL PERFORM THE OATH WHICH I SWARE UNTO ABRAHAM thy father; [4] And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; [5] BECAUSE THAT ABRAHAM OBEYED MY VOICE, and kept my charge, MY COMMANDMENTS, my statutes, and MY LAWS.

Just as in the case of Genesis 7 and 8 where we find "unclean" vs "clean" animals but no explanation of what animal is in what group - until you get to Lev 11.

Because "Moses' readers" had 2 books (Genesis, Leviticus) until the end of Moses' life when they had all 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

WailingWall

Dec 5, 2007
earth
✟26,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly where does it say that Abraham kept the "10" Commandments?

You keep adding the number "10" to God's word:

GENESIS 26 [3] Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I WILL PERFORM THE OATH WHICH I SWARE UNTO ABRAHAM thy father; [4] And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; [5] BECAUSE THAT ABRAHAM OBEYED MY VOICE, and kept my charge, MY COMMANDMENTS, my statutes, and MY LAWS.

So why was Abraham observing to keep Gods 10 commandments? He heard and obeyed Gods "voice"

DEUT. 27 [8] And thou shalt write upon the stones all the words of this law very plainly. [9] And Moses and the priests the Levites spake unto all Israel, saying, Take heed, and hearken, O Israel; this day thou art become the people of the Lord thy God . [10] Thou shalt therefore OBEY THE VOICE of the Lord thy God, and DO HIS COMMANDMENTS and his statutes, which I command thee this day.

DEUT. 4 [12] And the Lord spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard THE VOICE of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice. [13] And he declared unto you his covenant, which HE COMMANDED YOU TO PERFORM, EVEN TEN COMMANDMENTS; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

The voice...The 10 commandments. No doubt about it. And i didnt add the word 10.

ZEPHANIAH 3 [1] Woe to her that is filthy and polluted, to the oppressing city! [2] SHE OBEYED NOT THE VOICE; she received not correction; she trusted not in the LORD; she drew not near to her God. [3] Her princes within her are ROARING LIONS; her judges are evening WOLVES; they gnaw not the bones till the morrow. [4] Her prophets are light and treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the sanctuary, THEY HAVE DONE VIOLENCE TO THE LAW.

Youll find those lions and wolves mentioned in the new covenant scriptures. The bad guys

JOHN 10 [27] MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE, and I know them, and they follow me: [28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Also Gods sheep shall also hear His “voice”.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LUKE 18 [20] Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

The translated word for commandments in the above scripture is “entole”. As you can see its the 10 commandments. No doubt about it.

MATTHEW 19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The translated word for commandments in Matthew 19 is “entole”. Do you see all those "thou shalt nots". Again the 10 commandments. Everywhere in the new testament where you find the word "commandments" youll find its been translated from the greek word "entole"
But "entole" is also used in John 13 when referring to the new commandment to love:

"A new commandment [entole] I give you: Love one another; as I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another." -- (John 13:34-35).

"Entole" seems to be a general term that refers to any commandment, and not just the "10".

So why was Abraham observing to keep Gods 10 commandments? He heard and obeyed Gods "voice"

DEUT. 27 [8] And thou shalt write upon the stones all the words of this law very plainly. [9] And Moses and the priests the Levites spake unto all Israel, saying, Take heed, and hearken, O Israel; this day thou art become the people of the Lord thy God . [10] Thou shalt therefore OBEY THE VOICE of the Lord thy God, and DO HIS COMMANDMENTS and his statutes, which I command thee this day.

DEUT. 4 [12] And the Lord spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard THE VOICE of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice. [13] And he declared unto you his covenant, which HE COMMANDED YOU TO PERFORM, EVEN TEN COMMANDMENTS; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

The voice...The 10 commandments. No doubt about it. And i didnt add the word 10.
But you did add the number "10" to Genesis 26.
The 10 commandment law was given through Moses at Mount Sinai after Genesis 26, as your quotes from Deuteronomy 4 and 27 clearly shows. And the translated word for commandments in Genesis 26 is "mitzvah, not "entole".

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Moses said He kept God's Law including God's commandments.

Neh 9:13 is a case of a bible writer admitting that this is a reference to the commandments at .
“You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven, And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments.

11 "Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes which I am commanding you today;

The Commandments and Laws in Genesis 26 are not the same as the Commandments and Laws in Neh 9:13 and Deut 8:11. The 10 Commandments were given at Mount Sinai long after the events in Genesis 26.
If what you say is true why was Abraham observing to keep Gods 10 commandments?
Abraham was not observing the 10 commandments. Nowhere in Genesis 26 does it say Abraham observed "10" Commandments. You keep adding a "10" to the scriptures, which is forbidden:

"Do not add to His words, or He will rebuke you and prove you a liar"..."I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book." -- (Proverbs 30:6, Revelation 22:18).
Where does the Bible say that God's Ten Commandments were removed from His Law??
The 10 commandments were not merely removed from the law; the 10 commandments is the old covenant law that was removed:

"He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone."
-- (Deuteronomy 4:13).

And:

"He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant — not of the letter but of the Spirit"..."By calling this covenant 'new,' He has made the first one obsolete" -- (2 Corinthians 3:6-8, Hebrews 8:13).

And:

"There arises another priest who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment...For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because it was weak and useless, for the law made nothing perfect...
by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant."-- (Heb 7:15-22).

Hebrews 7 is telling us that the old covenant law of the 10 commandments have been annulled and Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant.
Christ's argument to the contrary --
Mark 7
6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the Word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Eph 6:2 -- specifically - the TEN Commandments.

Matt 19 "keep the Commandments... which ones?" and then came the answer right out of the scriptures -- the commandments of God.
The old covenant law of 10 commandments was still required while Jesus was alive. The new covenant was introduced after His death and resurrection: "By calling this covenant 'new,' He has made the first one obsolete" -- (Hebrews 8:13).

Paul in Ephesians 6:2-3 is not encouraging old covenant law keeping. Paul is simply emphasizing the importance of honoring our parents under the new covenant, just as it was important to do so under the old covenant. We honor our parents under the new covenant because we love them, and not merely because we are trying to keep a law.

Even Gentiles, who do not have the letter of the law, honor their parents: “For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts” -- (Romans 2:14-15).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Commandments and Laws in Genesis 26 are not the same as the Commandments and Laws in Neh 9:13 and Deut 8:11.

Yes they are - to the extent that God's Ten Commandments are included in all of them - a Bible detail that almost all scholars quickly admit.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism. :groupray:

And of course 7th day groups

When BOTH sides of the debate can admit to the same glaringly obvious Bible detail... well "it just does not get any easier than that"

Seventh-day Baptists
Seventh-day Adventists
(and 100's of others)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere in Genesis 26 does it say Abraham observed "10" Commandments.

Nowhere does it say he was not.

And what is more - Moses uses the same terms for both - for his readers to see that they are the same.

Neh 9:13 is a case of a bible writer admitting that this is a reference to the commandments at Sinai.

Genesis 26:5 BECAUSE Abraham obeyed my voice , and kept my charge, MY COMMANDMENTS, my statutes, and MY LAWS.

Just as in the case of Genesis 7 and 8 where we find "unclean" vs "clean" animals but no explanation of what animal is in what group - until you get to Lev 11.

Because "Moses' readers" had 2 books (Genesis, Leviticus) until the end of Moses' life when they had all 5

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 7 is telling us that the old covenant law of the 10 commandments have been annulled

No it does not.

It tells us that the laws regarding the priesthood have changed -

Details matter.

Where does the Bible say that God's Ten Commandments were removed from His Law??

Christ's argument to the contrary --
Mark 7
6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the Word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Eph 6:2 -- specifically - the TEN Commandments.

Matt 19 "keep the Commandments... which ones?" and then came the answer right out of the scriptures -- the commandments of God.

and Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant.

The old covenant law of 10 commandments was still required while Jesus was alive.

So then ... only 24 books in your Bible - the rest is "just for Jews"??

Turns out - the New Covenant IS the Gospel ... and "there is only ONE Gospel" - Gal 1:6-9.

Matt 24 "THIS GOSPEL" of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world and THEN shall the end come.

You appear to be arguing that Jesus's Gospel affirmed the Commandments of God - and very specifically the TEN Commandments.

But then we are to reject that Gospel of Jesus - that is to be preached in all the world... right after He goes to heaven??

The new covenant was introduced after His death and resurrection: "By calling this covenant 'new,' He has made the first one obsolete" -- (Hebrews 8:13).

Nope. It was introduced in the OLD testament and we can all read it Jeremiah 31:31-33 -- it is UNCHANGED as we see in Hebrews 8:6-10.

Paul in Ephesians 6:2-3 is not encouraging old covenant law keeping. Paul is simply emphasizing the importance of honoring our parents under the new covenant

You have quoted "yourself" fairly well - no lets quote the actual text.

Eph 6
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3 so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.

First commandment WHERE??

Answer: FIRST in the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

Question: Why is Paul bringing the TEN Commandments into this?

Answer: because they still matter!... obviously.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Atheists and Hindus and Buddhists are "Gentiles" and they have no clue that "taking God's name in vain" - the God of the Christians - is "sin for them" - at least they don't go around preaching that idea.

I think we all agree on that.

"To him that knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin" James 4.

We cannot limit Christians to only having the light of an atheist in China.

Again - we all already know this.

That was what THIS was for in my previous post "Atheists and Hindus and Buddhists are "Gentiles" and they have no clue that "taking God's name in vain" - the God of the Christians - is "sin for them" - at least they don't go around preaching that idea."

Paul is speaking about gentiles who have no access to scripture. As I point out - we who do have access to it -- cannot retrofit outselves back to the level of those who do not.

hence this comment that addresses the point "Atheists and Hindus and Buddhists are "Gentiles" and they have no clue that "taking God's name in vain" - the God of the Christians - is "sin for them" - at least they don't go around preaching that idea."

If you keep sidestepping that response to re-ask the same question - then that response that addresses it -- gets posted "again" - :)
Sorry, I missed your first answer because it was so nonsensical. :)
And your second answer is even more nonsensical than the first. :D

I think you have a very limited grasp of the difference between the letter of the law and the Spirit of the law.
You seem to think that the letter of the law becomes the Spirit of the law simply by writing it somewhere else (in our hearts).
It’s not that simplistic, Bob.
The letter of the law doesn’t become a spiritual law simply by moving it from one place to another.
The letter of the law written somewhere else is still the latter of the law. :)

The letter of the law is the literal interpretation and application of the written words in the law.
The Spirit of the law is the application of what God intended when He wrote the letter of the law.
Our Love for one another is the spiritual intent of the law, because love is what God intended when He wrote the law:

“The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.” -- (Romans 13:9-10).

Love is the fulfillment of the law because love is what God intended when He wrote the law.
It's possible to obey the literal words of the letter even if we do not have the love intended by the Spirit.
And it's possible to obey the love intended by the Spirit even if we do not have the literal words of the letter.
Obedience to one (the Spirit) does not necessarily mean obedience to the other (the letter).

Our obedience to the Spirit of the law is based on what God intended when He wrote the law. God is love and love is of God, and what God intended is that we love one another: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." -- (1 John 4:7-8).

The new covenant of the Spirit is not based on the old commandments of the latter. The new covenant of the Spirit is based on the new commandment of the Spirit: "A new commandment I give you: Love one another; as I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another."..."And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment." -- (John 13:34-35, 1 John 3:23).

Which takes us back to your nonsensical answer about the Gentiles:

“For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts” -- (Romans 2:14-15).

Gentiles who do not have the letter of the law express what God intended when He wrote the law. Gentiles express love for one another from their hearts, including honoring their parents, and by doing so they fulfill the spiritual requirements of the law, even though they do not have the written letter of the law.

When I was a child I was commanded by my father not to light matches.
His intent was his loving concern for my safety.
I obeyed his commandment out of fear of punishment, not having any idea of my father's intent.
When I became a man I began to understand his intent, it was not about the matches, but about his loving concern for me.
Now that I understand my father’s intent I am free to light matches, because his former commandment has been made obsolete.
I am now free to light matches and I always do it safely, thereby fulfilling my father’s loving intent.

“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things….And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:11-13).

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I missed your first answer because it was so nonsensical. :)

If you need me to explain some part of the post to you - just ask.

then it will make sense to you.

And your second answer is even more nonsensical than the first. :D

That's ok - I don't mind repeating it a few times to give you a chance to catch up. :)

I think you have a very limited grasp of the difference between the letter of the law and the Spirit of the law.
You seem to think that the letter of the law becomes the Spirit of the law simply by writing it somewhere else (in our hearts).

Hence the comparison in 2 Cor 3 "on tables of the human heart" vs "on tables of stone".

and as we see in the "NEW Covenant" text itself "I WILL WRITE My LAW on their HEART".

They very thing you seem to be mocking at this point.

Bible details matter.

“The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.” -- (Romans 13:9-10).

Summary - is not "deletion".

details matter.

Also Jesus said TWO great commandments - not one. (in Matthew 22) and what He calls the greatest -- is not even in the list you are focused on.

So then with 66 books in our Bibles - we can easily see that it is "still a sin" to "take God's name in vain".

Pretty hard to miss

In fact... irrefutable.

and we all know it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since some are struggling with this post - will add a comment.

This post takes the example of not taking God's name in vain" to show how this works with the Commandments of God.

========================================================

God's law is written in our hearts and minds in the same way that it is written in the hearts and minds of Gentiles who do not have the letter of the law:

“For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts” -- (Romans 2:14-15).

I think we all agree on that.

"To him that knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin" James 4.

We cannot limit Christians to only having the light of an atheist in China.

Again - we all already know this.

What about him that does not know to do right and does not do it - is it still a sin?

That was what THIS was for in my previous post "Atheists and Hindus and Buddhists are "Gentiles" and they have no clue that "taking God's name in vain" - the God of the Christians - is "sin for them" - at least they don't go around preaching that idea."

I noticed that you avoided answering the question in my previous post.

Here it is again:

If, as Paul said, the Gentiles never had the letter of the law, then how are they able to fulfill the requirements of the law?

Paul is speaking about gentiles who have no access to scripture. As I point out - we who do have access to it -- cannot retrofit ourselves back to the level of those who do not.

hence this comment that addresses the point "Atheists and Hindus and Buddhists are "Gentiles" and they have no clue that "taking God's name in vain" - the God of the Christians - is "sin for them" - at least they don't go around preaching that idea."

If you keep sidestepping that response to re-ask the same question - then that response that addresses it -- gets posted "again" - :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Love is the fulfillment of the law because love is what God intended when He wrote the law.
It's possible to obey the literal words of the letter even if we do not have the love intended by the Spirit.
And it's possible to obey the love intended by the Spirit even if we do not have the literal words of the letter.
Obedience to one (the Spirit) does not necessarily mean obedience to the other (the letter).

Totally false as Christ points out in Matthew 5. The more spiritual the focus - the more strict the law becomes - not "the more lax", or "the more deleted" it becomes.

"What do we make void the LAW of God by our faith! God forbid!! In fact we ESTABLISH the LAW" Rom 3:31

Bible details matter.

Our obedience to the Spirit of the law is based on what God intended when He wrote the law. God is love and love is of God,

True.

"This IS The LOVE of God - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3.

Thus it is "still a sin" to "take God's name in vain" Exodus 20:7.

LAW on stone - written on the human heart after being born again - means we still are not supposed to be taking God's name in vain.

Moses and Elijah - standing WITH Christ in glory - in Matt 17 - would have fully known this.

So also do these folks know it --

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism. :groupray:

And of course 7th day groups

Seventh-day Baptists
Seventh-day Adventists
(and 100's of others)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But you haven't offered any view at all. When you offer something substantial and I shut down, then you will have a point. So far you have only offered accusations and criticisms.

Of course I have, and that is what I mean by you've shut down. You see views you disagree with and in your mind they become non views, and anyone that agrees with, not only has views but "good" views. You were done then and you are still done.

You are too lazy to keep the commandment so you pretend and try to prove it doesn't exist. This is nothing new around here. When the man asked what he must do to get to heaven, Christ answered keep the commandments, and he named a few so there was no mistake what commandments he was talking about or as a "such as". Simple to see. Christ added another commandment, but he also said all others were in that new one, and never came close to stating he did away with any of the others.

For me, if I didn't want to follow the Sabbath commandment when it was very clear I should, instead of pretending or going into denial, I think I would just not follow it and be quiet about it. The last thing I would be doing is trying to teach others not to follow Gods word...way to dangerous for me.

Hey, here's a convenient suggestion, just go the "Grace Only" route, and not worry about doing anything God says to do. :) It's the latest fad in Christianity, straight from the book of New Aged higher knowledge (Author: Satan)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
. The last thing I would be doing is trying to teach others not to follow Gods word...way to dangerous for me. )
Good point.

Jesus specifically addressed that point.

Matt 5
19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven;

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point.

Jesus specifically addressed that point.

Matt 5
19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven;

Yet they still don't want to see it.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

WailingWall

Dec 5, 2007
earth
✟26,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But "entole" is also used in John 13 when referring to the new commandment to love:

"A new commandment [entole] I give you: Love one another; as I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another." -- (John 13:34-35).

"Entole" seems to be a general term that refers to any commandment, and not just the "10".

Nope

1JOHN 5 [2] By this WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3] For THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD, THAT WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and his commandments are not grievous.

Still talkin bout the 10 commandments

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.