God is good; the devil bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus healed all who were oppressed of the devil.
For the sake of being fair to my brothers who do not see that Jesus healed all... I have entertained the possibility that He only healed those who were oppressed of the devil but did not heal those who were oppressed by God.
I entertained that for about half a second... for obvious reasons.
I do think that sometimes people create a new definition for the word "good".

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Johnny Be Good said:
What say you?

*Be careful...this could be a trick question! :doh:
My only reservation is that God and the devil are not at opposite ends of a level playing field. And by your title....."God is good; the devil bad..." makes it sound like Newton's third law: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Which isn't the case.

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
andry said:
My only reservation is that God and the devil are not at opposite ends of a level playing field. And by your title....."God is good; the devil bad..." makes it sound like Newton's third law: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Which isn't the case.

Interesting...

What about all of that light dispelling darkness mumbo jumbo. What do you make of that?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When debating the nature and attributes of God, I notice that His benevolence is always sacrificed in preference to His Glory.
"God is so big that He cannot be understood.... and because of that, He could do bad things and still be good."

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Johnny Be Good said:
Interesting...

What about all of that light dispelling darkness mumbo jumbo. What do you make of that?
My point in this case is that there is not an eternal struggle between good and evil, vis a vis a dark side of the force versus an equally powerful light side of the force.

The devil is a created being. He is not an opposite equal to God. So the playing field was never level to begin with. And we often forget that the devil is an already defeated foe, as we walk around as if God and the devil are equal partners in influencing us for good or evil.

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
andry said:
My point in this case is that there is not an eternal struggle between good and evil, vis a vis a dark side of the force versus an equally powerful light side of the force.

The devil is a created being. He is not an opposite equal to God. So the playing field was never level to begin with. And we often forget that the devil is an already defeated foe, as we walk around as if God and the devil are equal partners in influencing us for good or evil.

OK--let's back up from the OP just a bit and talk about good and evil...

Do you agree that there is both good and evil? (Remember the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?)

I'm going to assume :)doh: ) that we agree upon the existance of good and evil...

1. Do you believe that there is any good in satan?

2. Do you believe that there is any bad in God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
andry said:
What about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?

Yes there is evil in this world; evil things, evil deeds. God is all good.

We are in agreement...I think! :sorry:

What's your answer to questions 1 and 2?

andry said:
But do you think the cross was about defeating the powers of darkness?

Man--I wish I knew everything but I just dont. Let's see where God will take this conversation once we get in agreement!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does your heart say...

Is it evil to strangle a baby?

Is love expressed by strangling babies?

Does God have it within His nature to strangle a baby?

Does God practice love in the same way we are expected to practice it?

Is walking in love different for God than for us?

Does love have the same definition for us and produce the same fruit within our hearts as it does within God?

Did Jesus in His earthly walk ever strangle a baby?

If love always obeys commandments, and if God is love, does God obey His own commandments?

If Jesus was the exact image of the Father, and always and only did what the Father does...and if the Father strangles babies: then why did Jesus not strangle babies? If the Father strangles babies and Jesus did not, then how can it be said that Jesus successfully showed us the Father?

If we are commanded to be perfect as God in heaven is perfect, and if it is perfection to strangle babies, then should we not also be strangling babies?
If we have the love nature of God within us that prevents us from ever committing sin or any other evil, how can it be said that that same love nature present within the Father Himself can commit evil?

Does the word "good" mean the same for God as it does for us? Does the fact that God is big and "beyond comprehension" create the possibility that concepts of "love" and what is "good" have different meanings for Him. Even if this were so, did not Jesus call us to be perfect even as He is perfect. Are we not therefore commanded to live by His concept of what is good and what love would do not our own?

Is God limited in His wisdom and power that He could be backed into a corner where He would have no choice but to strangle a baby?
Are there powers and forces of justice in God's creation that force Him to do this and like things?

Has the love-driven nature of God been confronted by some power of justice so great that it overcomes His sovereignty (that wants to do only do good) and forces Him to do what any rational being would deem truly evil?
Has God been forced to resort to the methods of the devil to accomplish His will? If so, has not good been overcome by evil within the very heart of God himself?

I am fully aware there are scriptures. Been studying and teaching them for 35 years. The questions here portray one side of what the scriptures say about the nature of God. I am aware there is another side that appears to say what would appear to be the exact opposite. Depending on what "side" you are on will determine how you answer the above questions. If you truly believe God strangles babies, then you will also have to conclude things like:
"Jesus failed to show us the real Father",
"God has been overcome by evil",
"We should also be strangling babies",
"The sovereign will of God to do good has been overcome and He is being forced to do evil",
"The new birth is a failure since we still have it within ourselves to commit evil",
"Good is different for God than for us",
"Love is different for God than for us",
"If you walk in the spirit you will strangle babies",
etc, etc, etc, etc...

Scripture is good for creating doctrine. Sometimes it is not so good for creating faith. Faith comes directly from the Father and is the only true revelation that matters in our lives. All else are mere reasonings based on types, shadows, and vague images. All that matters is what you have in your heart.
What does your heart say about these things?

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
didaskalos said:
What does your heart say...

Is it evil to strangle a baby?

Is love expressed by strangling babies?

Does God have it within His nature to strangle a baby?

Does God practice love in the same way we are expected to practice it?

Is walking in love different for God than for us?

Does love have the same definition for us and produce the same fruit within our hearts as it does within God?

Did Jesus in His earthly walk ever strangle a baby?

If love always obeys commandments, and if God is love, does God obey His own commandments?

If Jesus was the exact image of the Father, and always and only did what the Father does...and if the Father strangles babies: then why did Jesus not strangle babies? If the Father strangles babies and Jesus did not, then how can it be said that Jesus successfully showed us the Father?

If we are commanded to be perfect as God in heaven is perfect, and if it is perfection to strangle babies, then should we not also be strangling babies?
If we have the love nature of God within us that prevents us from ever committing sin or any other evil, how can it be said that that same love nature present within the Father Himself can commit evil?

Does the word "good" mean the same for God as it does for us? Does the fact that God is big and "beyond comprehension" create the possibility that concepts of "love" and what is "good" have different meanings for Him. Even if this were so, did not Jesus call us to be perfect even as He is perfect. Are we not therefore commanded to live by His concept of what is good and what love would do not our own?

Is God limited in His wisdom and power that He could be backed into a corner where He would have no choice but to strangle a baby?
Are there powers and forces of justice in God's creation that force Him to do this and like things?

Has the love-driven nature of God been confronted by some power of justice so great that it overcomes His sovereignty (that wants to do only do good) and forces Him to do what any rational being would deem truly evil?
Has God been forced to resort to the methods of the devil to accomplish His will? If so, has not good been overcome by evil within the very heart of God himself?

I am fully aware there are scriptures. Been studying and teaching them for 35 years. The questions here portray one side of what the scriptures say about the nature of God. I am aware there is another side that appears to say what would appear to be the exact opposite. Depending on what "side" you are on will determine how you answer the above questions. If you truly believe God strangles babies, then you will also have to conclude things like:
"Jesus failed to show us the real Father",
"God has been overcome by evil",
"We should also be strangling babies",
"The sovereign will of God to do good has been overcome and He is being forced to do evil",
"The new birth is a failure since we still have it within ourselves to commit evil",
"Good is different for God than for us",
"Love is different for God than for us",
"If you walk in the spirit you will strangle babies",
etc, etc, etc, etc...

Scripture is good for creating doctrine. Sometimes it is not so good for creating faith. Faith comes directly from the Father and is the only true revelation that matters in our lives. All else are mere reasonings based on types, shadows, and vague images. All that matters is what you have in your heart.

Hey--what's up with that, bro? We were trying to have a conversation here and you took the wheel! ;)

I, of course, agree with your point(s)...but I'd like to add one tidbit of safety information for those afraid of heights...

Scripture is also good for confirming ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that comes from the Father. *And if you're having difficulties actually accepting what scripture is saying in the first place, my personal advice is to stay there--in the written Word--and rely on no other spiritual guidance whatsoever.

OK...fire at will...:)

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I beleive that there is darkness and light.

There is Life and light in God.

There is darkness and death in the Devil. There's no conviction in darkness.

Jesus said men loved darkness rather than light.

because their deeds were evil. It's not that they love the evil they do, they have no feeling about it one way or the other. but they love the darkness because it hides their evilness. It acts like a covering. Darkness has no conviction dwelling in it. If you ask a mass murderer why he did what he did, he very seldom will say because I love to do evil.. he can't give you an answer. He draws a blank..darkness cannot show him any light at all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.