India
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'God is Black' says former Methodist President -14/7/04

Revd Dr Inderjit Bhogal, Past President of the Methodist Conference, promises controversy and celebration at Roots and Routes, an International Conference on Black Theology, to be held this weekend in Sheffield.

Representatives from the UK, the Pacific, India, Jamaica, South Africa, and US will come together to reflect, document and promote Black Theology.

Dr Bhogal, Director of the Urban Theology Unit, which trains Methodist ministers and has co-organised the conference, said: "To say 'God is Black' reflects on the way God identifies with black people and our experience of God. Over the last twenty years Black Theology has emerged from black people reflecting on their experiences of God, especially in relation to our varied roots - our heritages, our histories, our hurts, our hopes - and routes, by which I mean the ways that we will flag up markers for our continuing journeys."

Since the last International Conference, held a decade ago, a significant move­ment in Black Theology in the UK has developed. Dr Bhogal explained: "Black theologians have come forward with distinctive and intelligent contributions to black theology. Roots and Routes will challenge participants to push the frontiers of black theology even further."

Roots and Routes is supported by the Racial Justice office of The Methodist Church. Naboth Muchopa, Secretary for Racial Justice, said: "Black theology underpins the challenge for racial justice and equality. This Conference will further raise the profile of black theology, and will help us in our long term aims of integrating black theology and racism awareness training into the theological training programmes for lay and ordained people."

The Urban Theology Unit in Sheffield and the Black Theology centre of Birmingham University hold regular British Black Theology forums. These two forums have jointly organised Roots and Routes, to be held on 15 - 17 July at the Wilson Carlile College of Evangelism, Sheffield.

A Black Theology Reader will be published following the conference, including selected papers published over the last ten years in the UK.

BalaamsAss51

Sep 16, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,864.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look again at Daniels quote of Bhogals quote - "To say 'God is Black' reflects on the way God identifies with black people and our experience of God."

Bhogals is not talking about the color of Jesus's skin. Jesus probably had a fairly dark skin since he was born where he was, but that isn't important or the point of the quote. Bhogals is saying that Jesus identifies with Black people and culture - and by extension of course with every other group of people. Personally I don't think much of trying to have a Black theology, a White theology, a Yellow theology, or whatever. The Methodist emphasis on racial justice and equality brings us off the track and misses the main points of forgiveness to all people.

Pax

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Theophorus said:
God is not black, white or anything else corporeal.

Maybe he meant a different hypostatsis of the Godhead , but I doubt he knows what he is talking about regarding such things, given his provocative statement.

Methinks you're taking things rather too literally... "Black theology" is not about saying that God is a particular race or that Jesus of Nazereth had black skin (actually, as Middle-Eastern semite, it would probably have been more olive.)

"Black Theology" like "Feminist Theology" and "Liberation Theology" is an attempt to look at how the Gospel relates to people who are oppressed, poor, excluded from the usual ways of thinking. It tries to see how it feels if we change our conventional understanding of God as a White Male European in a white beard sitting on a throne frowning down at us.

(And yes, theoretically, we know He's not; but we still automatically go for that image when we think about it. It's an imperialist notion that has been ingrained in us for generations.)

The theologian Jurggen Moltmann tells a story that he got from somewhere else. A man in Auschwitz, watching some people getting hanged, asks in anguish, "Where is God?" The rabbi says, "He's on the scaffold."

In otherwords, it's about knocking God off the pedestal where we put him (it keeps him safely out of harm's way) and bringing him down among us, identifying with the whole of suffering humanity - especially the most suffering. God as the Crucified God, the Suffering Servant who takes on the hurt and the sin of the whole world - and who identifies with the "least" among us - the poor, the oppressed, the excluded.

If imagining God as black, a woman, a child working all day in a sweatshop in Delhi, helps us to see that then I say all power to them.

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus was probably very dark skinned, just from the area of the country where he lived.

He wasn't African black. But, he was probably very dark-skinned...

Doesn't really matter to me. Skin color is just a level of melatonin in your epidermis. We're all pink inside.

Upvote 0

maxiaccurus

Jun 12, 2006
✟7,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sam Gamgee said:
Jesus was probably very dark skinned, just from the area of the country where he lived.

Doesn't really matter to me. Skin color is just a level of melatonin in your epidermis. We're all pink inside.

Sam,I think you have just described the whole issue in nutshell.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sam Gamgee said:

Eeewww... I hate pink!:mad:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.