god given values

Today at 02:41 AM Freodin said this in Post #39

So let me try to come back to the original topic: values.

The last posts should have made it clear that it is at least not impossible for life to have originated from natural, unguided sources.

If this really was the case, would life have no value?

I realize this is the point of this thread.  So to answer that question I would have to temporarily grant the argument that God does not exist.  I do not know how life could have value when everything is said and done without God.  I can't see value in biomachines surviving for a period of around 80 years.  It seems that if this is the case, trees lives have equal meaning to humans.  If there is a difference between the value of the life of a tree and the life of a human, without God in the picture, please explain it.

Upvote 0
Today at 02:41 AM Freodin said this in Post #39

The last posts should have made it clear that it is at least not impossible for life to have originated from natural, unguided sources. 

I guess it depends on what you call impossible.  You can always argue that something is not impossible, but that does not show it to be possible either.  No one can show natural, unguided sources to somehow organize and compose life.  According to our understanding through inductive reasoning, generation of life from these natural and unguided sources have no basis.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 09:12 PM Aaron11 said this in Post #40
This is an argument that I would not grant you.  I do not believe that everything that humans have about God is based on human observation.  I understand that you assume this, but I do not.

Then give me an alternative. Can there be one?

I don´t think so. Everything, really everything, that a human knows has to be processed by human thought - regardless whether it is observed, felt, been revealed, imagined or rationalised.

If it was not observed - and even feelings and thoughts are observations - it would not be known to humans. It´s this simple.

I realize this is the point of this thread. So to answer that question I would have to temporarily grant the argument that God does not exist. I do not know how life could have value when everything is said and done without God. I can't see value in biomachines surviving for a period of around 80 years. It seems that if this is the case, trees lives have equal meaning to humans.

This is exactly why I said we had to define "value" first.

Where does value come from? I would say it comes from conscious individuals. If there was no-one to "evaluate", there would be no "value".

So if people (and that could include a personal god) give values, is there some "absolute" value. Are there "true" values and "false" values?

This now is a truly philosophical question, and I don´t know if we can find a way to sort this out.

I myself would say "No, there cannot be an absolute value, because values depend per definitionem on individuals". You might say "The value God gives is absolute."

The problem I see with this "absolute" position, and a question I never recieved an answer for is: is there a way to find this absolute?
I mean, if there is an absolute truth/value/moral/whatever, there would have to be an objective way to establish it - objective meaning independent of individuals.

Another problem I see is the tendency to polarize. All or nothing, black or white. You said it yourself:"I can´t see value in biomachines..."

Why would there be no value, just because there is no absolute value?

If there is a difference between the value of the life of a tree and the life of a human, without God in the picture, please explain it.
It is the same difference as the value between chocolade and vanilla icecream. Perhaps you like first and hate the second. Perhaps it is vice-versa for me. And the guy next door likes strawberry best. This also is value.

And sadly we do not know what kind of icecream God favours - or if he likes icecream at all. There is no absolute value here - at least it is not known. Does that now mean that there is no value? Hey, why then do people attribute value to it?

This is the answer to your question: trees and humans have different values, because people give them different values.

I guess it depends on what you call impossible. You can always argue that something is not impossible, but that does not show it to be possible either.
Sorry, I cannot follow you there. Basic logic: if something is not impossible, it is possible. Whether it is propable or real is another question.

No one can show natural, unguided sources to somehow organize and compose life. According to our understanding through inductive reasoning, generation of life from these natural and unguided sources have no basis.
"No basis" is not true. It is not (yet) an experimental basis, but a philosophical/logical one. Deductive logic shows that all these causal chains have to end somewhere - and that this end is not covered by the chain. This is basically what the famous "prima cause" argument for God states.

"Every effect has a cause, except for the first, the uncause cause, which is God."

Such an exception is necessary for all such chains that have a begin somewhere. Without it, all these arguments would fail - their logic would be faulty.

But as all these exceptions are no longer subject to the original logical conclusion, they have to find another basis.
And here we come back to your statement: according to our understanding through inductive reasoning, generation of life from these natural and unguided sources has a better basis that its alternative: generation of life from a supernatural source.

As long as God is not willing to create some new lifeforms for us, the only basis for a creation from God JHWH is Genesis - and that is, pardon my bias for scientific naturalism, not really a good basis.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 04:22 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #46

Well, then it is obviously subjective and there is no point of the whole question. According to that definition, there are no wrong or right answers.

Aww, come on... do you want to continue this discussion or not? If you don´t want, just say so.

Why don´t you tell me what you think? What is your definition? In my post #40 I asked some question regarding this point - what are your answers?

Stop evading - start giving arguments.

"According to that definition, there are no wrong or right answers."

This is an evasion, a strawman attack.

According to that definition, some questions do not have absolute wrong or right answers. That does not mean that some answers cannot be more "objective" than others.

Upvote 0
1. Chickenman has not looked far enough back in the thread to see what the discussion started as.

Freodin:

All I am saying is that if we are arguing about what is valuable to people, then it is pointless. If we are talking about ultimate significance, I guess there could be some discussion. Even though we could discuss this, I know what the answers will be, because there is no other logical way for us to elaborate on our conclusions. You know that I will say that there is no ultimate value in our existence if it was a natural process that randomly occurred. I know that you will agree that there is no ETERNAL meaning, but we can have meaning that we place on life while we live it. The point is, we are building off of different fundamental beliefs. We both agree (I assume) that without God, there is no eternal meaning in a human's life. If I am wrong, correct me. We also both agree that different people take pleasure, enjoy, and/or value many things in this life. So, it seems that we do not in fact disagree on the whole value question. We simply disagree on whether God is alive or if God is a hoax. That is the issue.

Upvote 0

chickenman

evil unamerican
May 8, 2002
Visit site
✟17,374.00
aaron, the point is that evolution isn't violated by any laws

and science doesn't break its own rules - although wackos like philip johnson would very much like it to

the only rules in science are those which govern how it is undertaken - methodological naturalism

P.S. read lucaspas thread in the science forum about protocells before you dismiss abiogenesis so flippantly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Chickenman,

My point stands. Science is not as reliable as popular opinion would say. That is all that I said to start this whole tangent.

Example- After all of our experimentation trying to create life, we haven't come close. Especially those experiments that involve natural conditions. However, this does not absolutely prove beyond ANY POSSIBLE doubt that it could never ever happen. People claim that we just have not found the right combination of conditions and elements used to create this life. That is fine to convince yourself of that. To argue that someone will be able to in the future is a fallacy in logic. However, if you claim that, you have to realize the inability of present science to answer the question of how original life came to be. This is a shortfall of science then, and we need to realize that the answer to where life came from can not be answered by science currently. Since people try to look to science for these answers, I feel that many are placing an inappropriate emphasis on certain theories that science has come up with.

That is all that I am saying. I know science has its place, but it is not even close to perfect. We should remember this. I do not think we disagree.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Yesterday at 09:49 PM Aaron11 said this in Post #49

All I am saying is that if we are arguing about what is valuable to people, then it is pointless. If we are talking about ultimate significance, I guess there could be some discussion. Even though we could discuss this, I know what the answers will be, because there is no other logical way for us to elaborate on our conclusions. You know that I will say that there is no ultimate value in our existence if it was a natural process that randomly occurred. I know that you will agree that there is no ETERNAL meaning, but we can have meaning that we place on life while we live it. The point is, we are building off of different fundamental beliefs. We both agree (I assume) that without God, there is no eternal meaning in a human's life. If I am wrong, correct me. We also both agree that different people take pleasure, enjoy, and/or value many things in this life. So, it seems that we do not in fact disagree on the whole value question. We simply disagree on whether God is alive or if God is a hoax. That is the issue.

The point is, we are also using different language to describe our different fundamental beliefs. You had to use additional qualifiers, like "ultimate" and "eternal" - these were not in the original claim.

This is like standing in a forest claiming "There are no trees here!" - and then, when someone points out all the trees around, adding "Ah, I meant , blue and white checkered trees."

But I have to disagree again: there is no need for God even to provide eternal meaning. This only depends on the metaphysical system you adhere to. That, of course is no longer in the scope of science.

Science - while we are at it: Science - the method of science based on scientific naturalism, that is around for not quite 500 years now - has never claimed to give absolute and eternal answers. If people use it that way, they usually come from a different philosophical system, and misuse science.

Theology on the other hand claims to give absolute answers - and fails.

Upvote 0

Quath

Nov 21, 2002
Livermore, CA
Visit site
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 07:57 PM Aaron11 said this in Post #53

OK. Then we disagree.

Just out of curiosity, what eternal meaning can be found without God?

Maybe there is no eternal meaning except what each individual can find for him/herself.

Scott (Quath)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 07:55 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #55

When that person dies. The meaning is gone. That is not eternal.

But perhaps the effects that that person had on the universe live on.

Or perhaps that person is reborn.

Or united with the universe.

Or send back to its original plane of existence.

Or...

As I said, it only depends on the metaphysical system you adhere to.

Upvote 0