Livermore, CA
Visit site
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Yesterday at 09:29 PM Aaron11 said this in Post #19

Quath said in # 11 that we could make life by taking blueprints of virus's and/or cells and putting the elements togehter to make the virus or cell... do you realize that this can not be done? Unless I am misunderstanding you, you think that we can take materials and make cells? HAHA. You do not know the complexity of a single cell... (not to mention, evolutionists think the elements fell together in this way... haha)

It would be very complex, but not impossible.  Do you think it would be impossible to link atoms together to make a cell out of nonliving atoms?  If so, what makes it impossible?  (Complexity may just mean we have to make a computer do it.)

Also evolutionists do not think that a cell just formed.  They believe a very simple form of life started and grew to complexity to reach the cell stage.

Scott (Quath)

Upvote 0

My Higher Self

Sense Offender
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
✟880.00
Today at 12:29 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #19
Quath said in # 11 that we could make life by taking blueprints of virus's and/or cells and putting the elements togehter to make the virus or cell... do you realize that this can not be done? Unless I am misunderstanding you, you think that we can take materials and make cells? HAHA. You do not know the complexity of a single cell... (not to mention, evolutionists think the elements fell together in this way... haha)

Shall we play the dictionary.com game and define what "create" means. You are simply playing semantics with the words. One of the first human embryo clones was created by using the dna from a sample of a mans skin and inserting it into a cows egg...that's not normal living production, that is a creation. 

Today at 12:29 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #19

What if I pose the question for evolutionists: What if God really created it all? Then what would you believe? Well, that is a foolish question. What if I asked an athiest, "What would you think if you absolutely knew that God exists?"

But is has been posed time and time again, so it is not unfair or without justification for a non-christian to pose the same types of questions.

Thank you for answering the question. ;)

Upvote 0
Quath,

Just stating something is possible is weak sauce. I think you fail to realize the complexity of a cell. You could say it is possible, and I could just as easily say it is impossible. Both of our statements reflect what we really think that life is "made of". I assume that you think that we are merely biological machines. Correct me if I am wrong (no sarcasm implied). I believe that life was designed by a divine being. So to say that we could do it has no bearing. I think that if we could, then there would be plenty of evolutionists that would jump on the opportunity in a heartbeat. I just think that you should look into the complex nature of a cell. I think you would be amazed at the intelligence and design that went into the creation of a single cell.

By the way, people have not found living things that are less complex than a single cell (unless you count viruses). If you take any part of the cell out, it will die. Less complex living structures evolved into cells? No evidence for that whatsoever... it is just an attempt to cover up the foolishness of evolution.

Upvote 0

Quath

Nov 21, 2002
Livermore, CA
Visit site
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 08:08 AM My Higher Self said this in Post #22 Shall we play the dictionary.com game and define what "create" means. You are simply playing semantics with the words. One of the first human embryo clones was created by using the dna from a sample of a mans skin and inserting it into a cows egg...that's not normal living production, that is a creation. 

Since we have not done it, it is a thought experiment.  Imagine a machine (Builder) that can bind two atoms together extremely fast.  This does not violate any physics to have such a machine.  Say you have another machine (Reader) that could read the location, type, and bindings of every atom of a cell.

So Reader scans a cell and sends the information to Builder that grabs separate atoms and builds a new cell from the information that Reader sent.  Has any physics or laws been violated by this?  Will the new cell be alive?

Or another game you can play.  Take a living cell.  Remove an atom at a time.  At what point is the cell no longer living?  At that point, put the last atom back and the cell is alive again.  You have created life from non-life.

Scott (Quath)

Upvote 0

Quath

Nov 21, 2002
Livermore, CA
Visit site
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 09:52 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #23

Just stating something is possible is weak sauce. I think you fail to realize the complexity of a cell. You could say it is possible, and I could just as easily say it is impossible. Both of our statements reflect what we really think that life is "made of". I assume that you think that we are merely biological machines. Correct me if I am wrong (no sarcasm implied). I believe that life was designed by a divine being. So to say that we could do it has no bearing. I think that if we could, then there would be plenty of evolutionists that would jump on the opportunity in a heartbeat. I just think that you should look into the complex nature of a cell. I think you would be amazed at the intelligence and design that went into the creation of a single cell.

I agree a cell is complex.  Yet, I am showing that life can come from non-life.  Not anything about design. 

By the way, people have not found living things that are less complex than a single cell (unless you count viruses). If you take any part of the cell out, it will die. Less complex living structures evolved into cells? No evidence for that whatsoever... it is just an attempt to cover up the foolishness of evolution.

Not found is not the same as not existing.  Plus there is less evidence of a God.

Scott (Quath)

Upvote 0
Quath, my point is, science has a law that states that living things can not come from non-living things. So if they really could "create" life, they should change the law. The fact is, they can not do any of the things that you claim. They can not build a computer or any other form of technology that could create life. Listen carefully now... if they had the ability to, it would be something that evolutionists would do nearly anything to perform this expirement. The fact is, they can not do this. Whether they could with infinite resources and infinite knowledge, who can say? If someone were to say, "Yes they could.", it would be no more than a theory anyhow.

Upvote 0

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
HAHA I think i am just going to refer to you as HAHA from now on. Hope you don't mind. HAHA you think you can read my mind??HAHA that is so silly. HAHA I wasnt looking for a fool to answer a question so i could feel superior. Superiority isn't something that ever crossed my mind. I don't like repeating myself, I get bored, so I will just say look again at my original post and the one after, and you will see why I asked what I did. If it is still bc you think I am trying to be superior, then maybe that is something you should look within yourself for. HAHA this has been fun HAHA

do you see how silly all those hahas look???

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 12:25 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #26

Quath, my point is, science has a law that states that living things can not come from non-living things. So if they really could "create" life, they should change the law. The fact is, they can not do any of the things that you claim. They can not build a computer or any other form of technology that could create life. Listen carefully now... if they had the ability to, it would be something that evolutionists would do nearly anything to perform this expirement. The fact is, they can not do this. Whether they could with infinite resources and infinite knowledge, who can say? If someone were to say, "Yes they could.", it would be no more than a theory anyhow.

Sorry, I have never heard of this scientific law that living things cannot come from non-living things? Which law is this? Can you quote it? Which discipline of science is it from?

Upvote 0
"In the field of biology, one of the most commonly accepted and widely used laws of science is the law of biogenesis. This law was set forth many years ago to dictate what both theory and experimental evidence showed to be true among living organisms—that life comes only from preceding life, and perpetuates itself by reproducing only its own kind or type." -- Bert Thompson PhD.

Recently this law of biogenisis has been an obvious problem for evolutionists, so they are thinking of how they could get around it. Now they say that it is the "theory of biogenesis".

Well call it whatever you want, but there is no evidence at all that life comes from non-living matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, biology is not my field of knowledge, but I can see the obvious flaw in this "law" - it has to start somewhere.

Perhaps it depends on the definition of "life", but as God is definitly not assumed to be the kind of life we see here on earth - matter and reproduction and all this, God cannot be a start for life in the sense of this law.

This law of biogenesis thus must be changed into :"Life does not come from non-life, except for the first life."

There are several theories for abiogenesis around.

Upvote 0

Philo

Iconoclast
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
✟559.00
Faith
Christian
Almost forgot the post at hand...

18th March 2003 at 12:38 AM Angel75 said this in Post #1

"Why do christians only think god can give them value?

This is begging the question.  Not a good way to start a...  Whatever you are trying to do.

If we found life on another planet, and (hypothetical) somehow it was proven god did not create them, would you think they are without value and therefore without basic rights and respect etc?

Alright, here's is where is a little messy.  In order for this proposition to be true, so would the following:

1.  A God would have to exist to be disproven as the Creator of said aliens.

2.  Said God would have to be the God of the Bible, assuming you are addressing this to Christians.

3.  The God of the Bible would have had to not Create something.

4.  The God of the Bible would have to not exist, because YHWH Created everything.

5.  Petitio Principii with a side of Inconsistancy

I asked this in another thread,  and the person who replied only answered the first question ignoring the second...I asked them again to answer but didnt get one. Can any christians who agree with their answer that "yes in fact only god can give you value" answer the second one for me?? Yes i know it is far fetched, finding a race on another planet. Yes i know it is next to impossible to porve another god created that specific race, but humor me kay :)

Perhaps, because you have presented a question with no viable basis in logic, people don'y quite understand what it is you are trying to ask.

Also, if it was proven that said aliens were not Created by God, I would have no reason to believe they exist, and thus ignore them completely.

Upvote 0
Today at 07:22 PM Freodin said this in Post #32

Well, biology is not my field of knowledge, but I can see the obvious flaw in this "law" - it has to start somewhere.

Perhaps it depends on the definition of "life", but as God is definitly not assumed to be the kind of life we see here on earth - matter and reproduction and all this, God cannot be a start for life in the sense of this law.

This law of biogenesis thus must be changed into :"Life does not come from non-life, except for the first life."

There are several theories for abiogenesis around.

For one, you are trying to apply the rules of science (which I have already said to be over-rated and ever-changing) to God.  This is a poor argument because I never claimed the law of biogenesis to be true.  Instead I just showed that scientists break their own laws when it comes to evolution.

Secondly, you say that the law of biogenesis must be changed then.  That illustrates my point well.  I stated that science is ever-changing.  People assume that science is necessarily truth many times, and if its ever-changing, then it can not be true all of the time.  That is why I said it is over-rated by many.

Also, by saying that the law of BG should be changed to "Life does not come from non-life, except for the first life.", I can only think of two possibilites of your meaning for this.  1.  I can think that you mean that God was the first life, or, 2. A cell was the first life.  If by this you mean that God is the first life, then you can not place natural laws on the supernatural.  If you are saying that a cell was the first life you are doing two things that are questionable.  First, you are changing the laws of science to fit your theory, instead of changing your theory to fit the laws of science.  Laws of science should be followed before a theory should.  Second, you are assuming that the first life (cell) came from non-living matter.  If you assume this, then why would there be a law saying that it would not happen again.  If a cell came from non-living matter once, why would it never happen again?  There is no reason for an evolutionist to think it will not happen again, therefore no reason to have the law in the first place.

And also, the last thing that you referred to, saying that "There are many theories against the law of biogenesis.", carries no logical bearing.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 05:47 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #34

For one, you are trying to apply the rules of science (which I have already said to be over-rated and ever-changing) to God.  This is a poor argument because I never claimed the law of biogenesis to be true.  Instead I just showed that scientists break their own laws when it comes to evolution.

Ah, Ok, I got your point.

But, I´m sorry to say that, it is false. Science is not about unchanging truth - it is about the description of reality. Laws, theories, hypothesis and assumptions are only a measure of how sure scientist are, not if it is really true.

[B
Secondly, you say that the law of biogenesis must be changed then.  That illustrates my point well.  I stated that science is ever-changing.  People assume that science is necessarily truth many times, and if its ever-changing, then it can not be true all of the time.  That is why I said it is over-rated by many.
[/B]
Scientific laws are only "true" in regard to how well they fit to observations. If a confirmed observation does not agree with a theory, the theory has to be adapted.

This does not invalidate science, but in fact strengthens it. Science is not dogmatic. It does not have to deny reality because of existing theories.

And it is not often that scientific laws are discarded because they have been shown wrong - more often it is an expansion of a law to fit new observations as well as old ones.

So it is not that a law like the law of biogenesis is no longer considered true, but that the adapted law is more true.

Also, by saying that the law of BG should be changed to "Life does not come from non-life, except for the first life.", I can only think of two possibilites of your meaning for this.  1.  I can think that you mean that God was the first life, or, 2. A cell was the first life.  If by this you mean that God is the first life, then you can not place natural laws on the supernatural.  If you are saying that a cell was the first life you are doing two things that are questionable.  First, you are changing the laws of science to fit your theory, instead of changing your theory to fit the laws of science.  Laws of science should be followed before a theory should.  Second, you are assuming that the first life (cell) came from non-living matter.  If you assume this, then why would there be a law saying that it would not happen again.  If a cell came from non-living matter once, why would it never happen again?  There is no reason for an evolutionist to think it will not happen again, therefore no reason to have the law in the first place.

Sadly I could not find anything about Pasteurs own words, but most of the sites I found that cited the "law of biogenesis" misrepresented it, and the scientific method.
Most of them stated that "Pasteur has proven beyond doubt...", "The LoB is on of the most proven laws in science" and stuff like that.

But science does not work that way! It is not possible to "prove" a scientific theory, it is only possible to falsify it. A scientific law is nothing more than a hypothsis that has not yet been falsified, and is thought unlikely under current conditions to be falsified ever.

And that is all Pasteur and his colleagues have done: they have shown that some other theories about the spontanueous creation of life were false.

The law of biogenesis works quite well under current conditions, when it is aplied to "life" as it was known 150 years ago. But it stops to work when we ask "So, where did life come from?"

Here we come back to the two options you cited:
1. God did it. Regardless of which God or how it was done, life has a "supernatural" origin.

But that leads to a problem:

Is God life? If yes, then - by the law of biogenesis - he has to come from other life. If no, the LoB is wrong here: life did come from non-life.

So that leaves option 2: life started by some natural process.

You asked why then this law of biogenesis would exist at all: because it HAS it´s use. It IS true, for all observed higher life forms. Flies do not come from dirt - cats do not give birth to dogs.

But as Newtons laws are limited to the macrocosm, and do not apply for quantum processes, the LoB does not apply to the primary formation of life.

You asked: why should it not happen again.

Well, perhaps there is a real answer that I simply do not know. A biologist may have it. But there are two likely possibilities.

1. It can happen only under certain limited conditions. Some theories of abiogenesis assume a very different athmosphere as nowadays.

2. It happens all the time - but for some reasons (to difficult to observe, competetion with existing life, long time from self-reproducing molecules to "animals") we have not yet observed it.

And also, the last thing that you referred to, saying that "There are many theories against the law of biogenesis.", carries no logical bearing.

You misread: I stated "There are several theories for abiogenesis (meaning: the start of life)"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sorry about the last part of my post. My mistake.

However, you said,

"Scientific laws are only "true" in regard to how well they fit to observations. If a confirmed observation does not agree with a theory, the theory has to be adapted."

1. Laws are composed of confirmed observations.
2. The law of Biogenesis has never been shown to be untrue. We have not confirmed any observation of life coming from non-life.
3. Evolution is a theory.

So are you really claiming that we should change our theory to meet our observations? I realize there is no way to prove absolutely that something could NEVER happen (that is a characteristic of inductive reasoning--which is what science is), but I also realize that we know nearly all that we know from inductive reasoning. My point is, should we change our "laws" of science to accomodate a theory, or should our theories be based on the "laws" of science. The latter is obviously the more stable approach.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 01:03 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #36

Sorry about the last part of my post. My mistake.

However, you said,

"Scientific laws are only "true" in regard to how well they fit to observations. If a confirmed observation does not agree with a theory, the theory has to be adapted."

1. Laws are composed of confirmed observations.
2. The law of Biogenesis has never been shown to be untrue. We have not confirmed any observation of life coming from non-life.
3. Evolution is a theory.

So are you really claiming that we should change our theory to meet our observations? I realize there is no way to prove absolutely that something could NEVER happen (that is a characteristic of inductive reasoning--which is what science is), but I also realize that we know nearly all that we know from inductive reasoning. My point is, should we change our "laws" of science to accomodate a theory, or should our theories be based on the "laws" of science. The latter is obviously the more stable approach.

There is not so much difference between "law" and "theory" in science. It is a rather vague evaluation of the sureness with which this scientific statement is made.

And so it is not the "law" that is the basis of science, but the observation. And if the observation tells us "This law is not true, or not complete" we will have to change or adjust the "law".

For example, this has happened to Newtonian mechanics.

I have to admit that in case of the law of biogenesis, it is not a direct observation that lead to the change, but a logical conclusion: somewhere the law of biogenesis has to start, and at that point, it cannot be true.

Upvote 0
I think we are in agreement. I realize that you know the role of science better than most, and that is my point. My point is that I think that many people take scientific theory, law, or whatever, for absolute truth on every issue. As we have both shown, this is not the case. This is why I said previously that science is often over-rated and is ever changing.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 03:24 AM Aaron11 said this in Post #38

I think we are in agreement. I realize that you know the role of science better than most, and that is my point. My point is that I think that many people take scientific theory, law, or whatever, for absolute truth on every issue. As we have both shown, this is not the case. This is why I said previously that science is often over-rated and is ever changing.

I´m sure I understood what exactly you just meant: that science is over-rated because it is considered absolute truth by some, or because it is ever changing.

If would agree to the first: science is not meant to be absolute truth and if people think it is, there are wrong.

But it is equally wrong to state that science is ever changing, as a weathervane, true today, wrong tomorrow. People who think this under-rate science.

And the same goes for theology. Everything that humans have about God is based on human observation - and human observations change, or could be wrong, or not the complete truth.

So let me try to come back to the original topic: values.

The last posts should have made it clear that it is at least not impossible for life to have originated from natural, unguided sources.

If this really was the case, would life have no value?

I think we should answer first the questions: What is "value"? How is "value" made? Who makes "value"?

Upvote 0
Today at 02:41 AM Freodin said this in Post #39
And the same goes for theology. Everything that humans have about God is based on human observation - and human observations change, or could be wrong, or not the complete truth.

This is an argument that I would not grant you.  I do not believe that everything that humans have about God is based on human observation.  I understand that you assume this, but I do not.

Upvote 0