MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I guess we must resume the education of America about the risks of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) and Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) ingredients.

Vegetable and Beef-derived Magnesium Stearate is one of the GRAS ingredients. It is used solely as a filler and for maintenance to prevent the machinery from becoming gummy and malfunctioning. Not all food supplement capsules contain Mg Stearate.

Many of the GRAS food additives contain GMO ingredients, for example most of the Vegetable Magnesium Stearate contains either GMO corn or GMO soy, and Mg Stearate is known to be toxic over 1000 mg. Thus, if someone takes more than FIVE supplements (capsules or tablets) per day, they probably have exceeded 1000 mg of Mg Stearate per day.

Furthermore, either vegetable or beef-derived Mg Stearate has an explosive effect. Could those unexplained explosions in humans be due to taking too many capsules containing Mg Stearate at one time?

Is the discussion of GMOs offtopic to this forum?

No, the Green Patriarch has spoken against the unethical modification of nature.

To put it plainly: Creating GMOs is unethical as scientists are tampering with God's nature and the world as He created it. In effect, our scientists have gone mad and think that they are God and can lord it over the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorothea

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I forgot to add the references to the above post.

Here are some references:

Corn Allergen List - Corn Allergens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_stearate

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927217

Note: carcinogenic tests have not been done.
It is "deemed safe" by the FDA without any testing whatsoever. Political favors anyone?

Potential Chronic Health Effects:
CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available.
The substance may be toxic to liver, skin.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

If anyone takes a lot of medications (even doctor prescribed), more than five capsules/tablets per day, that person is ingesting too much Mg Stearate.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How about the lack of regulations regarding apple cider labeling! These people think they can call anything apple cider, even when it's clearly just apple juice!

Apple juice is apple cider technically speaking because natural microorganisms tend to ferment the apples as soon as they are ripening on the tree. The same thing happens with grapes and even peaches. Ever had peach brandy? Once fruit is plucked and juiced, the fermentation action increases if the conditions are right. I have tasted some "grape juice" in the stores that had a naturally high alcohol level, it was so high in alcohol that I got a buzz, but it was labeled as "grape juice."

However, adding GMOs and GRAS ingredients to processed foods and then not labeling it as such is criminal. GMOs and GRAS additives have not been tested for safety in humans. The GMO study done in rats recently produced huge cancerous tumors. What would GMOs do in humans? In India, people who work in the GMO cotton fields are developing rashes and cancer.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife is just utterly disgusted that Prop 37 didn't pass. I'm sad, too, but so stoked that Prop 30 passed and Prop 32 DIDN'T, that I'll take what I can get!

I am more interested in finding out why your wife was "utterly disgusted that Prop 37 didn't pass."

Please share. ;)

We have got to get re-energized to get the vote out against GMO crazy scientists. If you look at the voter map county by county, it is the major cities who voted FOR prop 37, but the farming communities that voted AGAINST prop 37. So, it is more of a Urban vs Rural attitude.

Thank God that the city folk are beginning to wake up and want to know what the mad scientists and farmers are doing with their food.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The battle against GMOs has been renewed.

For complete information, please subscribe to:
Institute for Responsible Technology

Here is their latest email:

First of all, let’s celebrate with San Juan County, Washington, for passing its GMO-Free County initiative. Growing GMOs in the San Juan Islands will shortly be illegal. Thanks to all the great volunteers (and the 60% of the voters) who made that possible. I had the great pleasure of doing a speaking tour on three of the islands in September; their campaign was truly an inspiration. Well done San Juan County!

The San Juan Islands (part of the USA) just passed an initiative that makes them GMO free. Way to go.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's pretty simple---people have the right to know what slop and laboratory DNA-manipulated genetic mutations are being pumped into their food. My wife, like me, thinks we deserve the right. While not perfect, 37 was a start. It was overwhelmingly shot down. She's bummed, so am I.

I am more interested in finding out why your wife was "utterly disgusted that Prop 37 didn't pass."

Please share. ;)

We have got to get re-energized to get the vote out against GMO crazy scientists. If you look at the voter map county by county, it is the major cities who voted FOR prop 37, but the farming communities that voted AGAINST prop 37. So, it is more of a Urban vs Rural attitude.

Thank God that the city folk are beginning to wake up and want to know what the mad scientists and farmers are doing with their food.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that this is really not on-topic for this forum, especially since the veracity of the links you are posting is debatable.

Here is the reference for the EP:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vd...=Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew: GMOs&f=false

Do you agree with the Green Patriarch that we should be responsible stewards and not mad scientists who like to tamper with God-given DNA?

Did you hear about the recent Oregon experiment to create a GMO human using three parents + so that they can bio-engineer the perfect baby? The embryos were destroyed, so isn't that called abortion? Not very ethical.
First they engineer a baby, and then they kill it. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Reference:

Oregon scientists make embryos with 2 women, 1 man - New York News | NYC Breaking News

Oh, my Monsanto would not accept Fox as a reference.

Nevermind. The story could not have happened. GMO humans simply could not be the master plan. Or could they? Or would it matter?

Guess I must bury my head in the sand like an ostrich and say that all scientists are good and ethical and that Monsanto's scientists would never do anything to hurt a honeybee or monarch butterfly as they are such good guys. :roll eyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate your posts, threads, and passion in this issue, Maria. I am constantly befuddled by the apathy and empty-headed shoulder-shrugging by so many on this issue and I DO think it relates to religion. How can we as Christians be ok with this stuff!? It's manipulation of God's creation to a scary degree and killing his children.

Here is the reference for the EP:

On Earth As in Heaven: Ecological Vision and Initiatives of Ecumenical ... - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, John Chryssavgis - Google Books

Do you agree with the Green Patriarch that we should be responsible stewards and not mad scientists who like to tamper with God-given DNA?

Did you hear about the recent Oregon experiment to create a GMO human using three parents + so that they can bio-engineer the perfect baby? The embryos were destroyed, so isn't that called abortion? Not very ethical.
First they engineer a baby, and then they kill it. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Reference:

Oregon scientists make embryos with 2 women, 1 man - New York News | NYC Breaking News

Oh, my Monsanto would not accept Fox as a reference.

Nevermind. The story could not have happened. GMO humans simply could not be the master plan. Or could they? Or would it matter?

Guess I must bury my head in the sand like an ostrich and say that all scientists are good and ethical and that Monsanto's scientists would never do anything to hurt a honeybee or monarch butterfly as they are such good guys. :roll eyes:

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate your posts, threads, and passion in this issue, Maria. I am constantly befuddled by the apathy and empty-headed shoulder-shrugging by so many on this issue and I DO think it relates to religion. How can we as Christians be ok with this stuff!? It's manipulation of God's creation to a scary degree and killing his children.

Thanks for sharing.

People do not want to believe that scientists can be mad and motivated by money. Yet, just as physicians become doctors to earn a great salary, so scientists get their Ph.D.s (piled higher and deeper) to earn megabucks.

Greed does motivate, but unfortunately it also leads to the slippery slope to Hell.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's pretty simple---people have the right to know what slop and laboratory DNA-manipulated genetic mutations are being pumped into their food. My wife, like me, thinks we deserve the right. While not perfect, 37 was a start. It was overwhelmingly shot down. She's bummed, so am I.

Yes, I am not too happy with the election results.

What we have done is scratch off all processed food, so the manufacturers are losing out already. We do not buy crackers, soups, or anything that does not say "organic." We make everything from scratch.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I finally found the Whole Foods grocery store in Fresno. Kate, the kids, and I went there last weekend after divine liturgy/coffee hour. Oh my Lord, that place, for anyone who cares about nutrition, GMO's, label-reading, organics, or health....that place is VALHALLA!

Kate and I pretty much buy everything veganed up or organic as well. As you know, we're vegetarians so we were already in tune with a lot of this stuff anyway. It's nice to talk with a kindred spirit on this topic, for sure!

Yes, I am not too happy with the election results.

What we have done is scratch off all processed food, so the manufacturers are losing out already. We do not buy crackers, soups, or anything that does not say "organic." We make everything from scratch.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I finally found the Whole Foods grocery store in Fresno. Kate, the kids, and I went there last weekend after divine liturgy/coffee hour. Oh my Lord, that place, for anyone who cares about nutrition, GMO's, label-reading, organics, or health....that place is VALHALLA!

Kate and I pretty much buy everything veganed up or organic as well. As you know, we're vegetarians so we were already in tune with a lot of this stuff anyway. It's nice to talk with a kindred spirit on this topic, for sure!

Okay, I need to ask some hard questions.

There have been some people who have said that Monsanto owns a controlling interest in Whole Foods or that a subsidiary of Monsanto owns a controlling interest. Whole Foods Market denies this, but some of the employees there are very upset. So, what is the story here?

Whenever I purchase anything at Whole Foods Market, I carefully read the label. If it does not say "Organic," I do not buy it. If a juice drink says "high fructose corn syrup" I do not buy it. Basically, I try not to buy any packaged processed foods from WFM or any other store. I just cannot take that risk as I have gotten sick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are about the only access to ANYTHING non-gmo in my area, so I can't be a 100% purist. Heck, maria, what are we going to do, ya know? Crazy...

Whole Foods - Major Betrayal of Organic Food Movement

USDA forces Whole Foods to accept Monsanto
Okay, I need to ask some hard questions.

There have been some people who have said that Monsanto owns a controlling interest in Whole Foods or that a subsidiary of Monsanto owns a controlling interest. Whole Foods Market denies this, but some of the employees there are very upset. So, what is the story here?

Whenever I purchase anything at Whole Foods Market, I carefully read the label. If it does not say "Organic," I do not buy it. If a juice drink says "high fructose corn syrup" I do not buy it. Basically, I try not to buy any packaged processed foods from WFM or any other store. I just cannot take that risk as I have gotten sick.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for those links.

Okay, since you are an Obama fan .. get him to fire the FDA chief (former monsanto man) and ask him to use one of his many executive powers to stop Monsanto and Dole from producing any more GMO foods, grain, alfalfa, or performing any more nazi-like weird experiments on animals. Obama made a bunch of campaign promises, make him keep those promises.

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are about the only access to ANYTHING non-gmo in my area, so I can't be a 100% purist. Heck, maria, what are we going to do, ya know? Crazy...

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Please share. ;)

I'm wondering if that's because Monsanto has the farmers in a pickle. The farmers seem to now depend on Monsanto and its other cohorts for profits since it took over these people's farms and produce....seems that way to me.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The battle against GMOs has been renewed.

For complete information, please subscribe to:
Institute for Responsible Technology

Here is their latest email:

The San Juan Islands (part of the USA) just passed an initiative that makes them GMO free. Way to go.
:clap: Washington is wonderful and so beautiful. I love Cascadian Farms products, too. :) Anyhow, WA has always been quite green. I remember when we lived there from 2003-2007, we were far right-wingers and going into Seattle was really an odd experience. It is so liberal and eclectic, but a great city. lol We didn't feel like we fit in at the time. We were stationed near the town of Spokane, which is on the east side of the state, which happens to be more conservative. Anyhow, WA has always been BIG on recycling. Even living on base, we were urged to recycle and every week, the truck came to get our recyclables. It's every other week here, and there isn't a big plant here for that.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes, the important part is reading the labels. If it doesn't have the certified, round seal that it's organic (better yet is the third-party seal, according to that one guy on the GMO video you originally posted, Maria) (and I read all the ingredients, too), then don't buy it. I only buy 100% juices and now 100% juices that are organic. There is quite a difference in taste, we noticed these past couple months now that we're drinking them instead.

Whole Foods has non organic, regular items at their stores. I haven't read the links, but maybe they are forced to carry the garbage because of Monsanto's deep pockets, and the USDA all being hand-in-hand, it seems, with them. I just don't buy that stuff.

Upvote 0