✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well.. I am going to give up Christmas.
I have had many fun times with my family but I don’t want to follow the world and I am a little disturbed to find that it is pagan roots. I don’t want to follow the traditions of men. Mainly why I like that time of year is because of the snow and winter. I can enjoy that without Christmas. I will just decorate for the seasons instead of Christmas. I Dont feel like I can put a Christmas tree because of its roots. I will take my Christmas light up white church from my decoration bin and display it all year. I just want to please God and I don’t know if my tree is. I can still enjoy the peppermint coffee and foods. I just want to do Gods will. I sit here and think of all the good times and it makes kind of sad giving it up, but I want to do what God wants. Does anyone have advice of how I can rid of the sadness because of giving it up? What should I tell my parents when I don’t want to celebrate it? I get filled with sadness thinking of not doing it because of how happy it was each year. Hopefully the Lord can get rid of my sadness. I just want to serve God. I’m not putting others down for celebrating it, just my choice. This is my choice and I am not condemning others for it. I feel everyone has freedom in Christ to celebrate things. I just don’t feel like I should. I am wondering about other holidays like Easter. I like thanksgiving. I gave up Halloween long ago.

Last edited:

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟871,920.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So you'll be celebrating "winter" instead of Christ, because celebrating Christ is pagan. But celebrating winter is not. Do you see a problem there?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There's nothing wrong to honor Christ's bday (the exact day isn't necessary it's the point and meaning that does) by giving presents to your loved ones. Jesus received gifts from the wise men. The Christmas tree symbolizes the tree of life for me. Santa? He represents the good type of grandfatherly figure so many children do not have in their life. Some liken him to symbolize the Holy Spirit but I see him more like the Father. Children just need to be taught the true meaning of Christmas, the birth (conception) of the Messiah and about the faith and that Santa is just a nice fictional character while Jesus is real.

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m not celebrating the winter. I’m putting up decorations like any other decoration that is in our homes. The winter is a beautiful that God has created. I don’t feel like I’m celebrating by putting up decorations. Christmas has pagan roots. I don’t want to celebrate it because it was made by men and the whole world celebrates it.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can’t give advice for how to do that, since celebrating our Lord’s Nativity is very important to do. My advice: consider giving up the secular parts of Christmas and retaining the true religious meaning behind it.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟788,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Whatever pagan roots there are to Christmas, it's possible to expunge just those (and that would be OK to do) but not forsake everything enjoyable about this season. My childhood was adversely affected by never doing Christmas and as petty as this may sound, I never got over it. I get triggered every Christmas (as I will again this year) because of being "forced" to give it up while growing up. Now that I'm grown up and don't have family to spend the holidays with, it's even worse.

However if your conscience dictates you shouldn't have anything to do with Christmas, I won't interfere with that conscience, because the conscience is strong. But don't worry about eating a candy cane or something.

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you'll be celebrating "winter" instead of Christ, because celebrating Christ is pagan. But celebrating winter is not. Do you see a problem there?
I’m not celebrating the winter. I’m putting up decorations like any other decoration that is in our homes. The winter is a beautiful that God has created. I don’t feel like I’m celebrating by putting up decorations. Christmas has pagan roots. I don’t want to celebrate it because it was made by men and the whole world celebrates it.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The whole world celebrates it in a secular way. I feel you are being legalist here.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whatever pagan roots there are to Christmas, it's possible to expunge just those (and that would be OK to do) but not forsake everything enjoyable about this season. My childhood was adversely affected by never doing Christmas and as petty as this may sound, I never got over it. I get triggered every Christmas (as I will again this year) because of being "forced" to give it up while growing up. Now that I'm grown up and don't have family to spend the holidays with, it's even worse.

However if your conscience dictates you shouldn't have anything to do with Christmas, I won't interfere with that conscience, because the conscience is strong. But don't worry about eating a candy cane or something.
I just feel like I should not celebrate it. I can enjoy candy canes and peppermint mochas without celebrating Christmas. I don’t feel anything wrong with those things

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The whole world celebrates it in a secular way. I feel you are being legalist here.
I’m not forcing it on anybody. It’s just my decision. It is between you and God to decide things. This is my decision,

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟788,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
p.s. I forgot to say - - the Halloween thing I actually agree about - - I think it's OK to give up Halloween completely. I do buy a couple candy bags when they're on sale though :D not to distribute but because I want it for myself :D my dad and I share it though...

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m not forcing it on anybody. It’s just my decision. It is between you and God to decide things. This is my decision,
The Church has always about being part of a community. The idea of God, me and my Bible is just an innovation.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟788,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Church has always about being part of a community. The idea of God, me and my Bible is just an innovation.
It might feel alright at first to leave the "church" and just be "me and Jesus" but it does get very lonely - I can attest to that.

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I was saying is that it is with you and God whether to celebrate Christmas or not. Just that some decisions have to be made with God. That’s how I made mine

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I am so sorry for you having to grow up like that. I do not like when parents force there children to do things. God bless you to get through the season.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,136,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have had many fun times with my family but I don’t want to follow the world and I am a little disturbed to find that it is pagan roots. I don’t want to follow the traditions of men. Mainly why I like that time of year is because of the snow and winter. I can enjoy that without Christmas. I will just decorate for the seasons instead of Christmas. I Dont feel like I can put a Christmas tree because of its roots. I will use my winter village with my white light up church and put up some lights. I might put up some other winter themed things. I don’t feel anything wrong with putting up the winter decorations. I just want to please God and I don’t know if my tree is. I can still enjoy the peppermint coffee and foods. I just want to do Gods will. I sit here and think of all the good times and it makes kind of sad giving it up, but I want to do what God wants. Does anyone have advice of how I can rid of the sadness because of giving it up? What should I tell my parents when I don’t want to celebrate it? I get filled with sadness thinking of not doing it because of how happy it was each year. Hopefully the Lord can get rid of my sadness. I just want to serve God. I’m not putting others down for celebrating it, just my choice. I don’t what to do about other holidays either. I gave up Halloween long ago.

Who owns the trees of the world, Kota? And if Paul says that some of us can decide to prefer and enjoy one day as being 'special' in relation to our faith, or instead see all days as special, we can do either. And if we just so happen to want to decorate a tree with ornaments and lights in a beautiful way, there's really nothing to stop us from doing so. But, do what you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have had many fun times with my family but I don’t want to follow the world and I am a little disturbed to find that it is pagan roots. I don’t want to follow the traditions of men. Mainly why I like that time of year is because of the snow and winter. I can enjoy that without Christmas. I will just decorate for the seasons instead of Christmas. I Dont feel like I can put a Christmas tree because of its roots. I will use my winter village with my white light up church and put up some lights. I might put up some other winter themed things. I don’t feel anything wrong with putting up the winter decorations. I just want to please God and I don’t know if my tree is. I can still enjoy the peppermint coffee and foods. I just want to do Gods will. I sit here and think of all the good times and it makes kind of sad giving it up, but I want to do what God wants. Does anyone have advice of how I can rid of the sadness because of giving it up? What should I tell my parents when I don’t want to celebrate it? I get filled with sadness thinking of not doing it because of how happy it was each year. Hopefully the Lord can get rid of my sadness. I just want to serve God. I’m not putting others down for celebrating it, just my choice. I don’t what to do about other holidays either. I gave up Halloween long ago.
Will you not be receiving Holy Communion on the Feast of the Nativity of Christ then? Or going to Church to pray, worship, and hear the Word of God? Who cares about all the other stuff that's done at Christmas anyhow?

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Since Christians were persecuted during their celebrations,many of our holidays were celebrated during pagan celebrations,as to camouflage the Christian " Holy Days".The word" holiday" comes from the words "holy days". When I told a new Christian this,he exploded. He said,"You can't say that the Son of God's Birthday is on a Pagan Holiday!"
So,instead of arguing with him,I checked out,from the library, a book about holidays and gave him the book. The next day he told me that now he will look at the holidays in a different light. Knowledge is power.
By the way,some Christians get upset when they see the word, "Xmas",the abbreviation for Christmas. They say,"They are taking" Christ" out of Christmas!" But that is not true. The New Testament was written in Greek. "X" is the symbol for "Christ" in Greek. After I tell other Christians that,they then say, "oh",and they calm down.

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I sit here and think of all the good times and it makes kind of sad giving it up, but I want to do what God wants. Does anyone have advice of how I can rid of the sadness because of giving it up?

Yes. Try not giving it up — celebrate the birth of Christ in whatever way seems appropriate to you, just like 99.9% (or so) of other Christians! There is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas. I'm quite disturbed and saddened to see multiple threads on these forums by people who are giving up Christmas or have given it up "because it's pagan" and even some holier-than-thou types railing against those who do celebrate it. :(

There's also absolutely nothing wrong with not celebrating Christmas, if you honestly feel you shouldn't. But if that thought makes you so sad, maybe it would be worth thinking again. After all, why would God tell you not to celebrate Christmas, yet tell the vast majority of 2.2 billion Christians in the world that Christmas is a wonderful and special time of rejoicing? And why, too, do you keep saying you're fine with putting up "winter" decorations, yet you can't celebrate the birth of our Lord? Now that IS totally pagan. o_O

By all means go with what your conscience dictates, but I fear you're making yourself miserable for nothing, friend. The whole of heaven rejoiced at the Saviour's birth — why shouldn't we?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.