Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Congrats America, you've invented a dose of irony that even makes me sick.
Would you be making the same comment had someone been killed by the mafia after writing an essay against those involved in organized crime? Or if someone had been sexually assaulted after similarly writing against it? You seem to be implying that our entire country is to blame for her loss, rather than just the person who pulled the trigger.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Would you be making the same comment had someone been killed by the mafia after writing an essay against those involved in organized crime? Or if someone had been sexually assaulted after similarly writing against it? You seem to be implying that our entire country is to blame for her loss, rather than just the person who pulled the trigger.
Most people in our culture would like to take steps to reform the system to address gun violence; however, there is rampant dysfunction caused by powerful lobbyists that stymies even the most common sense reforms and legislation. This death is on all of us, not just the person who pulled the trigger.

If a plane crashes and results in multiple casualties, we can either do nothing to or take steps to ensure that such a crash does not happen again. If we ignore it, it is our fault when the next plane crashes.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most people in our culture would like to take steps to reform the system to address gun violence; however, there is rampant dysfunction caused by powerful lobbyists that stymies even the most common sense reforms and legislation. This death is on all of us, not just the person who pulled the trigger.

If a plane crashes and results in multiple casualties, we can either do nothing to or take steps to ensure that such a crash does not happen again. If we ignore it, it is our fault when the next plane crashes.
If you truly want to stop it the police need to be allowed to do stop and frisk and get the guns and the people who use them off the streets so that innocent kids like this do not meet the tragic end this child did.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sandra Parks, who wrote an essay about gun violence, is killed by stray bullet - CNN

Congrats America, you've invented a dose of irony that even makes me sick.

I think I am going to have to pull back on my comments here. It's clear from various sources including this girl's essay that large swathes of the US population live in active war zones and suffer PTSD.

Wow...that is ironic. Also ironic...

New Orleans man indicted for shooting death of Charleston Black Lives Matter activist

Black man fights Confederate flags because black lives matter...killed by black man who apparently didn't get the memo.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Would you be making the same comment had someone been killed by the mafia after writing an essay against those involved in organized crime?

As far as I understand the situation currently the shooting was accidental, not premeditated. She is a victim of your culture as much as she is the victim of whoever pulled the trigger.

To put it another way, there are so many bullets flying around parts of your country that every now and then human flesh gets in the way of one completely by accident, including when said flesh is sitting in her own bedroom.

Now there's not much research on this. However here's an article:
Stray Bullet Shootings in the United States

it's from 2011 and contains data from 2007, and shows that there were 314 stray bullet injuries that year. That's like 1/day. Seriously. Someone gets shot by a stray bullet in your country 1/day, and about 1/5th of them die.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It appears that the irony she is referring to is lost on you - Please allow me to explain.

The young girl writes about the prolific gun shootings and the lack of safety for her cohort due to the recurrent mass murders in school shootings and other public gatherings..... she was highlighting the out of control gun massacres and the lack of willingness in the USA to do anything about the availability of guns...then she was shot herself.

Thats the irony.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As far as I understand the situation currently the shooting was accidental, not premeditated. She is a victim of your culture as much as she is the victim of whoever pulled the trigger.

"Your culture"?

To put it another way, there are so many bullets flying around parts of your country that every now and then human flesh gets in the way of one completely by accident, including when said flesh is sitting in her own bedroom.

What "parts of the country" are we talking about exactly?

Now there's not much research on this. However here's an article:
Stray Bullet Shootings in the United States

it's from 2011 and contains data from 2007, and shows that there were 314 stray bullet injuries that year. That's like 1/day. Seriously. Someone gets shot by a stray bullet in your country 1/day, and about 1/5th of them die.

Amazing....you'd think that with so many I'd have known someone affected by this....or at least someone who knows someone affected by this.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It appears that the irony she is referring to is lost on you - Please allow me to explain.

The young girl writes about the prolific gun shootings and the lack of safety for her cohort due to the recurrent mass murders in school shootings and other public gatherings..... she was highlighting the out of control gun massacres and the lack of willingness in the USA to do anything about the availability of guns...then she was shot herself.

Thats the irony.
Do you have guns in your country that jump up and shoot people? We dont here either. The problem is a social problem not a lack of gun control problem. People need to control themselves or be controlled by being placed in prison where there is effective gun control. The rest of the population in a free country do not need to have their freedoms infringed by those who do not respect our laws.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you have guns in your country that jump up and shoot people
No because we severely restrict access to guns.

The problem is a social problem
Yes it is - you have nut-jobs with an arsenal at their disposal and people like you support their right to have it

People need to control themselves or be controlled
Agree - control is the answer. Get rid of the guns - which of course you wont do....so cue the next mass shooting within five days.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Please do...

The young girl writes about the prolific gun shootings and the lack of safety for her cohort due to the recurrent mass murders in school shootings

Actually, her essay doesn't mention school shootings at all.

and other public gatherings

Nope...she doesn't mention that either.

..... she was highlighting the out of control gun massacres and the lack of willingness in the USA to do anything about the availability of guns...then she was shot herself.

Thats the irony.

Looks like you missed the entire point of the essay. Her essay talks about the daily gun violence in her community. It talks about black on black shootings and violence. It talks about innocent children killed by that violence. It talks about how the members of the community...her community...are the ones who need to come together and change. The essay was is in the article for Pete's sake...how can you be that far off?

Or were you deliberately trying to avoid bringing attention to this problem in the black community cuz it doesn't really fit the liberal narrative? I don't mind if you ignore the real lessons here....but don't distort it into something it isn't. That's disgraceful.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No because we severely restrict access to guns.

Yes it is - you have nut-jobs with an arsenal at their disposal and people like you support their right to have it

Agree - control is the answer. Get rid of the guns - which of course you wont do....so cue the next mass shooting within five days.
Yes we defend it along with our other freedoms but no worries Big Brother
is chipping away in our country just like he did in yours.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Big Brother
is chipping away in our country just like he did in yours.
Well - I dunno about Big Brother - The Australian democracy demanded it and we had a PM with the testicles do do something about it - Result? - We dont have nut jobs who can get an arsenal and go whopeeee Ima gonna go shoot me a school or a whole audience in Las Vegas

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Please do...

Actually, her essay doesn't mention school shootings at all.

Nope...she doesn't mention that either.

Looks like you missed the entire point of the essay. Her essay talks about the daily gun violence in her community. It talks about black on black shootings and violence. It talks about innocent children killed by that violence. It talks about how the members of the community...her community...are the ones who need to come together and change. The essay was is in the article for Pete's sake...how can you be that far off?

Or were you deliberately trying to avoid bringing attention to this problem in the black community cuz it doesn't really fit the liberal narrative? I don't mind if you ignore the real lessons here....but don't distort it into something it isn't. That's disgraceful.
And somehow you still miss the irony

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And somehow you still miss the irony

The irony of you trying to lecture anyone about the article when clearly...

1. You didn't read her essay and had no idea what she wrote about...

Or...

2. Decided to deliberately twist this tragic story about a black girl and the violence in her community to fit some leftist narrative.

I think I saw that irony a mile away.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My uncle's brother has been in a wheelchair for decades because of a stray bullet hitting his spine as a kid. Strangely enough, he was also a passionate gun owner, even after a gun was used in his wife's suicide.

Some people really, really love their guns in this country...

• Prayers
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My uncle's brother has been in a wheelchair for decades because of a stray bullet hitting his spine as a kid. Strangely enough, he was also a passionate gun owner, even after a gun was used in his wife's suicide.

Some people really, really love their guns in this country...
and some people love using their cell phones while they drive this results in the deaths of many innocent people we have yet to take away cell phones or cars. Others love to drink and drive but their irresponsible use of a car has not caused anyone to call for a ban on cars.

Upvote 0