Gifts of the Spirit

Concerning the gifts of the Spirit...

• I'm a cessationalist (gifts were only for the time of the Acts of the apostles)

• Yes, all the gifts are in operation today

• Yes, limitedly: only some of the gifts

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
L

lovedovethe

How many believe that the gifts of the spirit (prophecy, healing, signs and wonders, gift of languages and their interpretation, etc) are in operation still today?

I believe the most lied about gift is the gift to discern causes no room to reason because when the reason brings you too close to the Kingdom that has been on earth since the Kingdom you get tossed or worse...Hung on a cross.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
netzarim said:
I appreciate your teaching, Lulav :)

When she is learning....., but when she reaches Lulav's level then it is good for her to share what she knows.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am a confessed women's libber, I admit it and am not ashamed of it so here goes: I'd rather, any day, be in error due to deception than by intentional disobedience!! There, I've said it.

That aside, I, too, think it speaks a lot that Priscilla is mentioned first.

A second agreement: if a lady as knowledgeable as Lulav were to be kept silent would be far more than a shame, it should be counted a sin! Teach on, sister mine!!

Thanks for the support guys.:blush: I believe what is given should be shared. Yeshua said not to hide your light under a bushel. That light is the light we are given and it should be not kept to ourselves but shared for the benefit of others. :amen:?

My feelings about this are why would HaShem give a woman the intelligence, and knowledge just to keep to herself? Even in the talmudic times women were taught to read, the Bible of course, but not allowed to study Talmud. That was a men's only area. Personally I would rather study Torah. ;)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
1) I tried to avoid using the word Church as I am not convinced that would be the right word at that point. Even if we did use the word 'Church' it would have been more like a synagogue service - certainly not like a Church as we know it!
I understand, but using the word synagogue makes it seem like they were all worshiping and learning in the local Jewish synagogue. :)

2) I was looking for something that gave an understanding of what the Law says to which Paul may have been alluding. The reference I gave was obviously not in the Law, as such, but was a teaching based on the Law. I could, of course, have put Genesis 3:16!
I understand, but as I said it was not halachic, therefore Paul's would not be either. Halacha was considered law by the Pharisees, but what you used is defiantly not. The Talmud addressed things that pertained to Jewish men and women. Paul was teaching heathens.

3) I think that quote from Timothy was Paul speaking to this new minister, just starting out in leading a congregation. As I might tell a new Minister - I don't allow this, or that, in my congregation, he is teaching him about congregational things in times of worship. He is repeating to Timothy what we heard him say in 1 Corinthians - women should be quiet in the congregation and learn (as the quote I gave from Chagigah).
Yes, thus it is his own 'laws' he is enacting here, though not from G-d.

She may not attempt to teach a man in the congregation (which is the context) nor may she have authority over him in her teaching (understanding) of what is being said in the service; she may not correct her husband in these matters and so have authority over him. She must be silent. She is to be in submission to her husband because Adam was formed first...and Eve was deceived by the serpent and became (the first) sinner.

Correction = authority?

G-d saw that man couldn't go it alone, so he created a 'helpmeet' . Yet Paul told the Romans that

12 Wherefore , as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

Sinner entered into the world through Adam, per Paul to the Romans, so Chavah was not the first sinner. Besides, where is it written in Torah that one sins by being deceived?

BTW, using B'rsheet 3:16 does not support this either. It does not say what you think it says.

Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I understand, but using the word synagogue makes it seem like they were all worshiping and learning in the local Jewish synagogue. :) Probably the first Messianic synagogue - in a house.

I understand, but as I said it was not halachic, therefore Paul's would not be either. Halacha was considered law by the Pharisees, but what you used is defiantly not. The Talmud addressed things that pertained to Jewish men and women. Paul was teaching heathens. I'm not sure Timothy was a heathen. I assume 'defiantly' is a malapropism?

Yes, thus it is his own 'laws' he is enacting here, though not from G-d. That is quite possible - he had done it before. This is the exact point I was making - it was what he preferred to do, not what G_d had told him to tell Timothy. Had it been directly from G_d he would have said so. Instead be makes a rather tenuous connection to the Law in support of his view.

Correction = authority? I don't understand this point

G-d saw that man couldn't go it alone, so he created a 'helpmeet' . Yet Paul told the Romans that

Sinner entered into the world through Adam, per Paul to the Romans, so Chavah was not the first sinner. Besides, where is it written in Torah that one sins by being deceived? Because Adam was the first man and Eve came from him - therefore through Adam, sin came into the world but it was Eve (or Chavah to continue mixing your languages) who took the bite and then offered it to Adam. Deception was not the problem - they both chose to sin. Just as today people choose to sin, it is not imposed on them!

BTW, using B'rsheet 3:16 does not support this either. It does not say what you think it says. It is not usually helpful to say, 'but it doesn't say that' without saying what you think it says - that is not an argument.

Right, I'm awake again now! Specific comments above, in red, general comments below:

You know, I assume, that this part of Scripture is hotly contested as either proving Paul was not a mysogynist, or that he was! It has also been the source of much research to find where, in the Law, as we have it, that it says women must not speak in Church - no such Law exists. However, bearing in mind there were no full stops or other punctuation originally, moving the full stop back a few words, it allows the text to read 'As it says in the Law, women must be in submission to their husbands' as Genesis (or as you mix languages, Bereishis) 3:16 implies. It is thought by many academics that the full stop was placed where it currently is to give strength to the argument that women must not speak in Church. If you are happy with that mysogynistic version then that is OK, but there is much less support in the Law for the view that women must be silent than there is for what I have said!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you are awake now, I am still on my first cup of coffee, so no cracks about my spelling or thought process. I can't help it that I think I English and Hebrew and it comes out in my writing. This is a challenge when I play word games and wonder why Hebrew words (transliterated of course) aren't allowed!;):D

Anyway, on to your responses.

You addressed only my typo, and that Timothy wasn't a heathen. I was not referring to Timothy when Paul spoke to the Corinthians. The point of that part, which you ignored was that this was not halakcha, neither from the Talmudic sages, or Paul. He was giving his way of handling the heathen, fishwives' who were not brought up in reverence to the Holy one.

I'm glad you see this is not G-d inspired instruction then. But there was no law then, or after, written or unwritten regarding this, at least not from what you quoted. There may be on the section regarding proselytes though.

Correction= Authority.
Yes, I posted that right below where you said
"she may not correct her husband in these matters and so have authority over him"
So what I am asking if you see correction as equal to authority?

That is quite a twisting to reconcile two views of Paul on women. Now you make them one to prove your point. If deception was not the problem then why did you say it was because she was deceived?

Avodat said:
Eve was deceived by the serpent and became (the first) sinner.
As far as 3:16, it was a comment, not an argument. ;) Suffice it to say, no one 'took a literal 'bite' of any 'fruit'.

I'm not trying to argue Paul's view of women, just what is being used to justify it. Punctuation aside, using Genesis 3:16 (sorry, I thought I was in a MJ forum and that both references would be understood) to substantiate Paul's comments to Timothy, doesn't wash. What you are saying now is that Paul is actually referring to the Torah and specifically Genesis 3:16 to support him? That would make sense except he says that He does not allow.

Genesis 3:16 does not say that women should be submissive to their husbands, this has caused the brutality and death of many a women to understand it that way.

What it does say is that her desire should be towards her husband, (and no one else). Not subjection, desire.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe these also are in order today, Paul stressed prophecy. "Beloved I wish above you that you may prophesy". I believe this is because prophecy directly edifies and exhorts the body of Christ whereas tongues was confused both then and now. (why do you think Paul stressed the importance of order and taking turns and not turning off strangers who may walk into the meetings?)

I Corinthians 14 does emphasize prophesy more so than tongues due to how non-believers seeing the secrets of their hearts revealed will be more amazed at the GLORY of the Lord than they would if hearing of tongues they could not understand.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Lol, some women can support their husbands in that way and thats fine with me. But yeah, if it says 'they taught' then I'd assume BOTH of them had a hand in speaking.

The concept of a woman being empowered to teach doesn't really seem to be any more radical than having female prophetesses like they did in the OT...and NT (if seeing Philip's daughters).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But if people are bound to the same 'order' non-stop, how can they allow for what God may want to do differnetly in the service? It's when people are so stuck on traditions that they argue it and things cant be different, idk it seems to stop the flow of what God may be trying to accomplish. If He's LORD of the Sabbath and LORD of services, then He should be allowed to do what He wants.

Alot of change being possible would depend on how well the Spirit of the Lord can be heard if he were to say "Stay in worship today" instead of always doing things as they're done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sure this was Mod locked before I went away for a few days!

I must have missed that and I've been here everyday at least once or twice. :confused: (but then it happens so often here, I barely notice it anymore.)

Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad you are awake now, I am still on my first cup of coffee, so no cracks about my spelling or thought process. I can't help it that I think I English and Hebrew and it comes out in my writing. This is a challenge when I play word games and wonder why Hebrew words (transliterated of course) aren't allowed!;):D

Anyway, on to your responses.

You addressed only my typo, and that Timothy wasn't a heathen. I was not referring to Timothy when Paul spoke to the Corinthians. The point of that part, which you ignored was that this was not halakcha, neither from the Talmudic sages, or Paul. He was giving his way of handling the heathen, fishwives' who were not brought up in reverence to the Holy one.

I'm glad you see this is not G-d inspired instruction then. But there was no law then, or after, written or unwritten regarding this, at least not from what you quoted. There may be on the section regarding proselytes though.

Yes, I posted that right below where you said

So what I am asking if you see correction as equal to authority?

That is quite a twisting to reconcile two views of Paul on women. Now you make them one to prove your point. If deception was not the problem then why did you say it was because she was deceived?

As far as 3:16, it was a comment, not an argument. ;) Suffice it to say, no one 'took a literal 'bite' of any 'fruit'.

I'm not trying to argue Paul's view of women, just what is being used to justify it. Punctuation aside, using Genesis 3:16 (sorry, I thought I was in a MJ forum and that both references would be understood) to substantiate Paul's comments to Timothy, doesn't wash. What you are saying now is that Paul is actually referring to the Torah and specifically Genesis 3:16 to support him? That would make sense except he says that He does not allow.

Genesis 3:16 does not say that women should be submissive to their husbands, this has caused the brutality and death of many a women to understand it that way.

What it does say is that her desire should be towards her husband, (and no one else). Not subjection, desire.

We seem to have different copies of The Book :o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if what occurred with Philip still occurs today when others are transported over great distances to spread the Gospel (Acts 8), as I've heard accounts of it...

That would be an act of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Temptinfates

Mar 5, 2010
Cartersville, Georgia
✟15,738.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I believe the gifts to be real. I don't believe that someone cleaning the toilets is exercising a spititual gift as I hear some preach it. My wife and my children have spiritual gifts. My most stand-offish daughter has the gift of love. Who would have thought that? I have a gift of knowledge and my wife has a gift of wisdom over knowledge. My wife with very little scriptural comprehension can make things so simple.
We attended a church about 7 years ago. It seems that the pastor of this church was in jail accused of molesting a child. Well, we didn't know the man, not ever been there before. Adonai let my wife know the man was innocent. So we spoke to the fill-in pastor I think it was.. My wife told him exactly what the man looked like. The man kept his hair in perfect order. Some thought it was vain. It wasn't. It's just the way his mother brought him up. I suppose we were there to give them the word the man was innocent. I have seen the gifts work many times. We don't call them up or have any control over them. We have free-will to allow them to operate or no.
When this all started with us about 7 years ago, we attended a church because we were visiting my nephew and his guardian--so we went with them. My wife got a word that she was supposed to yell out for a girl named Jennifer. Adonai wanted to heal her. Now, my wife was freaked out and scared, so she didn't do it. I found this out after the service. So, we asked my Nephew;s guardian and she said that they did have a girl just start attending a couple of weeks beforehand. I spent some time explaining to my wife what happened and that next time "Do what He (Adonai) wants". So, it has been a learning curve--but, the gifts are real.
Temptinfates.

Upvote 0