Gifts of the Spirit

Concerning the gifts of the Spirit...

• I'm a cessationalist (gifts were only for the time of the Acts of the apostles)

• Yes, all the gifts are in operation today

• Yes, limitedly: only some of the gifts

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
How many believe that the gifts of the spirit (prophecy, healing, signs and wonders, gift of languages and their interpretation, etc) are in operation still today?
I have no doubt that these things are going on today, However I do not believe they are emanating from the Holy Spirit of G-d.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
That's fair enough, lulav. But what I am referring to is gifts of the Spirit and not man-ufactured signs and wonders although I know that happens too. I know the gifts of the Spirit have been abused, sometimes of out greed and manipulation and sometimes out of ignorance and simply wanting to force a move of God. But while I know these things happen, I do believe there are true signs and wonder, the true gifts of prophecy and words of knowledge, and I do certainly believe God heals and delivers today. Why do I believe these things are for today? Because God is the same yesterday today and forever and I know He is a good God. And the gifts are just that - gifts God have given to body for instruction, for healing, and wholeness and edification.

Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
How many believe that the gifts of the spirit (prophecy, healing, signs and wonders, gift of languages and their interpretation, etc) are in operation still today?

Yes, all are alive and well and being used regularly, though some people look at the fakes but cannot see the originals that are from G_d.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
That's a logical answer, huh? Yes, my husband and I have come to realize that there is so much unbelief in the churches today and it's really really sad. Like I told him the other day, "If you throw out the Law and you throw out the Spirit, what's left?" Really just theology and empty religion. :( Even within our own small group (we are not members of a MJ congregation at this time), there is so much unbelief about the goodness of God that He wants to pour out on His people. Simple things like healing and wholeness, and even the really cool stuff like signs and wonders. It's very frustrating because we want to move forward and experience more of God, but so many are not yet ready for this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's fair enough, lulav. But what I am referring to is gifts of the Spirit and not man-ufactured signs and wonders although I know that happens too. I know the gifts of the Spirit have been abused, sometimes of out greed and manipulation and sometimes out of ignorance and simply wanting to force a move of God. But while I know these things happen, I do believe there are true signs and wonder, the true gifts of prophecy and words of knowledge, and I do certainly believe God heals and delivers today. Why do I believe these things are for today? Because God is the same yesterday today and forever and I know He is a good God. And the gifts are just that - gifts God have given to body for instruction, for healing, and wholeness and edification.

Hi JR,
:)
Could you give an example of a sign and wonder that you believe to be from G-d?

You said that you believe this because, basically G-d does not change. So then you would say that these same things happened long ago, 3, 4,000 years ago?

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Prophetic dreams are a type of sign/wonder for the edification of the body of Moschiach and I've experienced these, most dreams concerning the condition of churches/congregations but some dreams specific to individuals we know (either ourselves or others).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I'm really impressed by the number of MJ's who embrace the gifts of the Spirit as enduring still in our times. Do you all have any wonder why such things are not seen more frequently and seem to be so rare?

As I have said - people look only at the fakes that are around. They are so busy looking for fakes they fail to see the Spirit in his original actions. hasatan cannot create anything, all he can do is come up with fakes for it. Real believers will look for, and study, the originals so that when a fake does appear they will spot it straight away. But if you only study the fakes you'll never 'see' the originals, because that is hasatan's plan!

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
As I have said - people look only at the fakes that are around. They are so busy looking for fakes they fail to see the Spirit in his original actions. hasatan cannot create anything, all he can do is come up with fakes for it. Real believers will look for, and study, the originals so that when a fake does appear they will spot it straight away. But if you only study the fakes you'll never 'see' the originals, because that is hasatan's plan!

And some know the real thing and are very attuned to false ones.

Don't under estimate the Adversary.

Even Paul said he comes as an angel of light.

In Job we read that Ha Satan had the power to do all kinds of things to test Job, do you not think he has that power today?

the L-RD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

"Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

The L-RD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the L-RD.

His oxen and donkeys were stolen
His servants tending them were killed,. but one to tell the story
His sheep and shepherds were struck by lightening and burnt up, with one left to tell the story
His Camels were stolen and the servants tending them killed with one left to tell the story
'Everything he has' also included his children.
A Tornado came and struck the house and it fell on them, killing them all leaving only one servant to tell the story.

All these things were by the Adversary's hand.

Animals stolen, humans killed by other humans and lightening and tornadoes.

Seems like a lot of power there and then there's more.

Job 2 tells us that: The L-RD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

And Satan replied: "Skin for skin! A man will give all he has for his own life. But stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face."

The L-RD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life." So Satan went out from the presence of the L-RD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head.

So we can see that he does have the power to control the winds, the electrical discharge with pinpoint accuracy, with people to incite them to kill others, as well as to inflict a person with diseases.

As he did so then, he can still do so today. Sure G-d has to allow it, and gives him perimeters, but if he can lay something on, he can also take it away. If done through a person of deception, this will make you follow them. He is not going to do something that doesn't look like What G-d could do, but he is still under direction as we see in Job.

G-d still tests us today, to see if we really love him, we must acknowledge this in order to be able to recognize the true miracles from the false ones.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
But I'm talking about gifts, good things from the hand of the LORD. We all know the devil comes to steal kill and destroy. But when there is a genuine healing or a dream that confirms a word or revelation or prophecy, or deliverance that sets people free, or a word of knowledge that confirms direction to a person or people, I want to attribute those to a good God. I think some people give the devil TOO much credit rather than focusing on our good God.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
But I'm talking about gifts, good things from the hand of the LORD. We all know the devil comes to steal kill and destroy. But when there is a genuine healing or a dream that confirms a word or revelation or prophecy, or deliverance that sets people free, or a word of knowledge that confirms direction to a person or people, I want to attribute those to a good God. I think some people give the devil TOO much credit rather than focusing on our good God.
You misunderstand me, yes, G-d is righteous, but that doesn't mean he doesn't test us. How does he test us? Similar to how Yeshua was tested. I believe he still tests us today and uses the adversary to do so.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Prophetic dreams are a type of sign/wonder for the edification of the body of Moschiach and I've experienced these, most dreams concerning the condition of churches/congregations but some dreams specific to individuals we know (either ourselves or others).

Prophetic dreams?

Where does it say that these are from G-d? Is this from you understanding of Joel 2:28?

Upvote 0