Gift of prophecy throughout Church history?

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Paul literally says to be jealous, desire, more spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy in 1 Corinthians 14:1. He designates prophecy as a spiritual gift.

It seems you are confusing the general use of the word prophecy with the specific gift of prophesying.

This is why people keep making mistakes about this gift, they see that word "prophesy" and automatically think "hey this gift tells the future!!!!!!!!!!"

The gift of prophesying does not tell the future, it is a corporate ministry gift for the assembly that The Holy Spirit utters Edification, Encouragement, and Comfort,..... just like tongues and interpretation does.

It doesn't do anything else.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems you are confusing the general use of the word prophecy with the specific gift of prophesying.

This is why people keep making mistakes about this gift, they see that word "prophesy" and automatically think "hey this gift tells the future!!!!!!!!!!"

The gift of prophesying does not tell the future, it is a corporate ministry gift for the assembly that The Holy Spirit utters Edification, Encouragement, and Comfort,..... just like tongues and interpretation does.

It doesn't do anything else.

k...I mean, the very Greek word used literally means forthspeak but if that's what you want to believe, that's your prerogative.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

If the body of Christ had been more diligent in this area of scripture, we wouldn't have boatloads of false prophets infesting our churches.

They proved to everyone that GOD wasn't speaking through them, I don't know why people are not removing them.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
k...I mean, the very Greek word used literally means forthspeak but if that's what you want to believe, that's your prerogative.

It's not about belief.

It's rather basic,.... if the word of GOD teaches something specific, we don't add to it and change the definition or teaching.

The Holy Spirit spoke through Paul about these gifts, he of all people was tasked with teaching us about them. He does not teach that the gift of prophesying speaks predictive events,.... I have no reason to disagree with him.

Again, it is not about belief.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not about belief.

It's rather basic,.... if the word of GOD teaches something specific, we don't add to it and change the definition or teaching.

The Holy Spirit spoke through Paul about these gifts, he of all people was tasked with teaching us about them. He does not teach that the gift of prophesying speaks predictive events,.... I have no reason to disagree with him.

Again, it is not about belief.

True prophecy always lines up with scripture. Prophesying does not add or take away from scripture. There are plenty of prophets and prophetesses mentioned in both OT and NT whose words never appeared in scripture.

He didn't need to explain that prophecy means to speak on future events because the very word term he used means to foretell.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
True prophecy always lines up with scripture. Prophesying does not add or take away from scripture. There are plenty of prophets and prophetesses mentioned in both OT and NT whose words never appeared in scripture.

He didn't need to explain that prophecy means to speak on future events because the very word term he used means to foretell.

Hey,... you're welcome to take one word and define a gift by it instead of the context of scripture all you wish.

Be my guest.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Friend I don't believe in foresight, at least not in what we typically think of as foresight in today's culture.

[1Sa 3:19 NKJV] 19 So Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground.

The above isn't depicting foresight. I don't believe prophets are oracles. It can be perceived as foresight but it's not a complete picture.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Authority means that they are entrusted greater things by the Lord? Like greater revelations, bigger assignments, something like that?

Binding and loosing.

Maybe we don't have anyone who can proclaim "Thus says the Lord of Hosts" but if we really did, I would watch out.

[Psa 91:11 NKJV] 11 For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.

[Jos 5:13-14 NKJV] 13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, "[Are] You for us or for our adversaries?" 14 So He said, "No, but [as] Commander of the army of the LORD I have now come." ...

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
[1Co 14:29 NKJV] 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge.
[1Co 14:27 NKJV] 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, [let there be] two or at the most three, [each] in turn, and let one interpret.
[Mat 18:20 NKJV] 20 "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is only one definition of the gift in scripture,....

1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men edification, and encouragement, and comfort.

Each one of those words can be looked up in the Greek to see that none of them have any connection to revelation or predictive utterance.

In other words, this gift is not used by GOD to reveal the future.
well ARBITER01, it looks like we have a different understanding of how to approach the scriptures.

I'm happy to hash that out with you, if you wish and if it looks like it would be edifying to the body. If you want to do that, I'd suggest a different section like General theology.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I decided to see if anyone on youtube was actually teaching about this correctly,...... I was quite surprised to find someone doing just that,...

There could be some small points that I would slightly disagree with, but overall he understood it perfectly!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gift of prophesying does not tell the future

Not always - but it can...

There are many examples of this in the OT especially.

God directly commanded Ezekiel to prophesy concerning future events regarding the restoration of Israel for example. (as I already quoted and you chose not to respond)

Sadly you don't want to accept accountability to this scripture because it doesn't fit your theological agenda.

Everyone knows the prophetic in the body is in disarray - nothing new there...

However some weird theology around the gift of prophesy is not going to solve anything.

Most, if not all, issues are solved when His people return to 'first love' and come before Him together with open hearts.

I hope this happens soon but I suspect it will not happen until serious persecution arises.

In the mean time we have a mess - we can agree on that.

Not surprising given that His Prophetic Word is critical to the health and strength of the church and we have a very active adversary...

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Again,.. the guy is correct about the word of wisdom:

This is the foretelling/predictive gift in scripture.

GOD uses this gift to reveal future events during our dreams/visions, and He can use this gift to provide utterance through us of future events by The Holy Spirit.

This gift is also associated with prophets and their ability to write scripture.

Just like the word of knowledge reveals current and past facts, the word of wisdom reveals GOD's will in future events, and His dealings with His creation.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again,.. the guy is correct about the word of wisdom:

This is the foretelling/predictive gift in scripture.

GOD uses this gift to reveal future events during our dreams/visions, and He can use this gift to provide utterance through us of future events by The Holy Spirit.

This gift is also associated with prophets and their ability to write scripture.

Just like the word of knowledge reveals current and past facts, the word of wisdom reveals GOD's will in future events, and His dealings with His creation.

What you mean is that he agrees with your present theology.

In this day and age, finding someone that agrees with you carries little weight.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
What you mean is that he agrees with your present theology.

In this day and age, finding someone that agrees with you carries little weight.

Awwww,.... what's a matter Carl, you feeling ignored?

The guy has it right, and explains it quite well.

For anyone that might be interested that is following the thread, you can read up on the proper uses of the gifts from a person named Howard Carter. He was one of the 13 original founding members of the Assemblies of GOD denomination. He has a couple books you can find out there on the subject, as well as Harold Horton. He wrote on the gifts of The Spirit from women bible studies notes that Howard Carter did over a period of time.

It's not wise to trust the modern day material on this, it's very self serving as well as wrong in too many areas. Trust the older generations on this, they were closer to GOD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good idea. Let's trust the older generation. Like perhaps Bill Hamon, who has been actively doing ministry for over 60 years now and is considered the father of the modern day prophetic movement and the world's greatest living expert on the prophetic. Wanna guess where he stands on this?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would trust Lester Sumrall instead. He was tutored under Smith Wigglesworth at a young age...

He is more biblically sound, and that would make perfect sense since he also traveled with Howard Carter extensively.

This video message was filmed approximately in 1987.

Last edited:
Upvote 0