Gift of prophecy throughout Church history?

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry but you are needing to consider a wider range of scripture.

This is what Ezekiel was commanded to do...

He was commanded to prophesy concerning the future restoration of Israel. Thus by prophesy he revealed a future event.

The gift of prophesying is specifically defined over in 1st Cor 14 by The Holy Spirit, and it has no association with revelation.

Ezekiel did speak prophecy,... but what gift was used by the prophet?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only time the gift of prophesying is spoken directly to an individual is before the congregation by The Holy Spirit, and it will be confirming revelations that The Holy Spirit had already been showing that individual before that moment.

That definition does not align with the whole of scripture...

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That definition does not align with the whole of scripture...

Oh I think it does,...

The only time the gift of prophesying is spoken directly to an individual is before the congregation by The Holy Spirit,

1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one unbelieving or unlearned, he is reproved by all, he is judged by all;

Yep that agrees!

and it will be confirming revelations that The Holy Spirit had already been showing that individual before that moment.

1Co 14:25 the secrets of his heart are made manifest; and so he will fall down on his face and worship God, declaring that God is among you indeed.

Secrets of his heart? Yep!

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
After the election there were several articles brought out about how so many "prophets" got everything wrong. It seems that no one really had an answer as to why this happened either.

I think the answer is exactly what I've been pointing out here in scripture, that the gift of prophesying has nothing to do with revelation, and that none of these folks that got it wrong were prophets.

Something to think about: If we had an actual prophet in the body of Christ, do you think that he/she would worry about what's going on in the world and speaking on TV to people asking for money, or trying to sell a book? Does that sound like something that John the Baptist would do, or Elijah?

I see no other answer as to why all these folks got it wrong, other than they wanted to use a Spiritual gift the wrong way and it backfired on them.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see no other answer as to why all these folks got it wrong, other than they wanted to use a Spiritual gift the wrong way and it backfired on them.
There is an answer, with scriptural examples to back it up. However, to understand it would require you to broaden your view of the prophetic, which seems highly unlikely.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is an answer, with scriptural examples to back it up. However, to understand it would require you to broaden your view of the prophetic, which seems highly unlikely.

I would like to know the answer, and I'm open to broaden my view of the prophetic.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The early church, I think, was something truly special -- something we've lost touch with in modern christianity. The Didache is a witness to some arrangement where visitations by prophets were commonplace enough to be expected. I would expect that if these were not rogue individuals or frauds, there must have been a body of believers somewhere with a higher concentration of persons with the gift.

Perhaps it was in association with the original church in Jerusalem, and that is where I would suspect the real deal to be seen -- rather than individuals competing for authority, a united living church body knit together edifying itself through the gift, and it could be a fearsome thing to behold for someone stumbling into the congregation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly it seems our friend interprets scripture via a few verses.

For those interested I would recommend the following.

Read nothing but scripture with an open heart before God for 5 years plus...

Go out and prove what you have learned on the cutting edge of the kingdom where - if you get it wrong you are toast.

Then wait 40 years before you offer a perspective from the experience you have gained

After that, when you think you might have something to say, offer it from the heart of a servant, open to correction.

Love you all...

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sadly it seems our friend interprets scripture via a few verses.

Sadly,..... it seems our friend can't figure out what gift actually is used by The Holy Spirit for predictive utterance, but a whole heap of people can't it seems.

If people can't define the gifts correctly, then we get all sorts of bad activities happening in the body of Christ, just like we had happen recently during the presidential election.

From what I can tell, only 1 person actually said they were sorry for being wrong,..... just 1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Greek word for prophecy is propheteia, which is the amalgamation of two other words, pro, meaning forth and phemi, meaning to speak. The Illustrated Oxford Dictionary says that a prophet is: A teacher or interpreter of the supposed will of God; A person who foretells events; and A person who advocates and speaks innovatively for a cause.

Source: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...5d4c2f85752ca03f4d/1458650975323/Prophecy.pdf

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Prophecy by itself is not a gift.

There is a gift called the gift of prophecy/prophesying, but that gift does not provide revelation in the assembly. Scripture is pretty specific about that.

There is a specific gift that is used by The Holy Spirit to speak through a prophet and foretell events, but people can't seem to figure it out.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Prophecy by itself is not a gift.

There is a gift called the gift of prophecy/prophesying, but that gift does not provide revelation in the assembly. Scripture is pretty specific about that.

There is a specific gift that is used by The Holy Spirit to speak through a prophet and foretell events, but people can't seem to figure it out.

Paul literally says to be jealous, desire, more spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy in 1 Corinthians 14:1. He designates prophecy as a spiritual gift.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The word he uses in 1 Corinthians 14:1 for prophecy is prophēteuēte which means to foretell; tell forth; prophesy. This word comes straight out of the word prophétés whose very definition is a prophet.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
One of the biggest reasons we have some prophets of baal in the body of Christ right now is because there are no standards in place to hold these people accountable. Everyone is worried about judging someone,.... and so we have a free for all in this arena.

Upvote 0