• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Getting tested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure_Joy

Embracing life with enthusiasm at every turn...
Jan 31, 2006
College
✟16,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am thinking aboutgetting tested for ADD ... Mainly because I am going to college and I have never been in a class room experience.. ( I was home educated...) I was wondering if these are symtoms of ADD and if people who do have it (Or their children have it) think it is worth getting tested or not...

I find my self listening to 4 or 5 conversation happening in a room all at once, hearing the words and not comprehending or remembering anyof it...

Cannot focus unless am in a quiet boring room, without people,

When I have to take a test where people are I have to bring earplugs and chewing gum...

I don't remember things I hear unles I am doing something else like drawing crocheting or something of the sort...

I will be in a conversation and will suddently change subject (this happens constantly)

moving things distact me to no end...

I often cannot focus enough to spell a 4 letter word... like...... word.. which is why I use lots of ...........................

I often cannot say what I want to, because the word goaway and turn into something else...

Kracker

Jul 10, 2006
✟7,741.00
Faith
Christian
Some of the traits you mentioned could be linked to ADD. My guess is, if you are considering diagnosis you've been thinking about this for a long time.

I am no expert, but found that getting a diagnosis was
a positive step. It was a turning point in processing the jumble that was so frustratingly part of me.

Upvote 0

Pure_Joy

Embracing life with enthusiasm at every turn...
Jan 31, 2006
College
✟16,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Kracker said:
Some of the traits you mentioned could be linked to ADD. My guess is, if you are considering diagnosis you've been thinking about this for a long time.

I am no expert, but found that getting a diagnosis was
a positive step. It was a turning point in processing the jumble that was so frustratingly part of me.
I have been pondering the idea for a few years, when I started realizing I couldn't comprehend my mom when she was teaching unles I watched her lips and thought the words she was saying

Upvote 0

InTheGarden

Nov 19, 2005
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
I think you should be tested, especially if you are entering a classroom environment for the first time where you'll have a lot more distractions (or at least different distractions) than you did at home. Some colleges may have free testing (check with the office for students with disabilities or with the counseling center), but if not, it's worth paying for because being diagnosed and treated will help you get the most out of college, which is a pretty major investment!

Upvote 0

nateboy

Aug 13, 2006
Washington
✟7,949.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would definitely get check out. The college you attend most likely has a disablity center. They may test and then you would go to a psychiatrist for a dx. It depend on how your insurance works. Sometimes just going to a psychiatrist directly does the trick. Avoid general family medical practioner because although some can be good, they are most likely well versed in the medication like the psychiatrists as it pertains to neurotransmitters and the brain.

I was tested in college and then given medication. Through God and the medication, my life became so much easier as a lot of my cognition was spent on trying to stay organized, focused and doing everyday life. Once dx, I was able to concentrate on my studies more and retained a lot more information. As for a dx, I would look at the DSM-IV criterion for ADHD and then see if you match the symptoms. Perhaps you can find that on the web.

God bless you,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.