✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, in Exodus 17:

2 They quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water to drink.” Moses replied, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the LORD to the test [5254]?”
Deuteronomy 6:

16 You shall not put the LORD your God to the test [H5254, G1598], as you tested [H5254, G1598] him at Massah.
Their complaining, demanding, and unbelieving attitude was wrong.

But then, yes, in Malachi 3:

10 Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test [H974, G1980], says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.
Now, God initiated the test.

The Hebrew words for "test" in these two verses were different. Their corresponding Greek words were different also.

Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test [G1598].’”

In the negative sense, we should not test (H5254, G1598) God by demanding him to do something. In the positive sense, we can try (H974, G1980) God in faith and humility to desire His will.

See also

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are plenty of Scriptures that state 'if" "then." (Did a search there's over 300).

Just wondering why the distinction with tithing in Mal 3:10?

Not proposing testing the Lord in other areas nor casting doubt on His Word.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, in Exodus 17:

Deuteronomy 6:

Their complaining, demanding, and unbelieving attitude was wrong.

But then, yes, in Malachi 3:

Now, God initiated the test.

The Hebrew words for "test" in these two verses were different. Their corresponding Greek words were different also.

Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test [G1598].’”

In the negative sense, we should not test (H5254, G1598) God by demanding him to do something. In the positive sense, we can try (H974, G1980) God in faith and humility to desire His will.

See also

My arms are too short to box with God. So, I let him do the testing. Like I really have a choice?

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some are:

"Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:" Exo 19: 5

This is referring to an Angel of God's -
'But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries.' Exo 23:22

"But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul." Deu 4:29

"If thou shalt keep all these commandments to do them, which I command thee this day, to love the Lord thy God, and to walk ever in his ways; then shalt thou add three cities more for thee, beside these three:" Deu 19:9

"Even if any of your dispersed are in the uttermost parts of the heavens, from there the Lord your God will gather you and from there will He bring you." Deu 30:4

"And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days." I Kings 3:14

"But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you." Matt 12:28

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." John 14:23

Last edited:
Upvote 0