Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a Christian you must not own a gun. Owning a gun means you have no faith/trust in God that he can protect you or send his angels to protect you. Owning a gun means you have the spirit of fear in your heart. 2 Timothy 1:7 says "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

Then, we should not fear the Words of Jesus.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his
possessions are safe."
Luke 11:21

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it okay for people to protect their loved ones, but some people think it is not okay to protect yourself?

I do not have any children or a wife. So, I don't know what it is like to have that protective feeling, like parents do. But when I talk about buying a gun to protect myself, some people tell me that I am wrong. Don't I have the right to love myself the way you love your family?

Protecting loved ones and oneself is not the same as protecting loved ones and oneself with deadly force. If one is ok with using deadly force to protect others, they should be ok with it to protect oneself as well.

If these people are using the fact that you are alone as a reason to moreso be against guns.....for you would have even less reason to entertain a gun than those with families.....this is a little more understandable.

Some trust in Guns...
"7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God.
8 They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright."

If you live by the sword you will die by the sword.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear, "

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident."

Will your confidence be in the gun....?

It is an uncertain path travelled for one to decide, that they must now put their trust in man and the works of man, and no longer in God.

The children of Israel too, foresoke the many miracle they beheld via the works of God, to go after objects made by hands to worship and put their trust in..... and time and time again, they fell into greater and greater misfortune.

You too have every right to choose whom or what you desire to put your trust in. And I would find no fault in whatever you choose.

yet as for me and my house....we shall serve and fear the Lord.

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many people believe that a Christian is obligated to not use potentially-lethal means for self-defense. Certain denominations emphasize the value of being a martyr rather than possibly kill an attacker.

Jesus talked about turning the other cheek, and not resisting evil, but when the rubber meets the road, you have to have a plan in place: be passive or be defensive. It's your choice.

I've been there. My hesitancy to defend my mom nearly cost her life.
Theologians can argue Scripture in their ivory towers all day; I choose to carry a gun.
And yes, I know how to use it. (classes and regular practice).

So make up your mind before you face that situation. Your decision may change as you get older and more experienced. My two sons don't carry guns, but the world hasn't kicked them around very much - at least not yet.

Exodus 22:4 Good News Translation (GNT)

“If a thief is caught breaking into a house at night and is killed, the one who killed him is not guilty of murder. But if it happens during the day, he is guilty of murder.

At night, one does not know if the intruder is armed and assumes he is.
Durling the day, if he is armed blow him away.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is the most useful thing I have heard all day.

Me and my mom's checklist.

Have a go bag, with first aid kit.

Copying bible, in case they confiscate bibles.

Have a garden and access to fresh water.

Have good relationships with neighbors and friends in area.

Have a exit in case you need to leave area.

Stay informed on your local militia, city, and state rules and mandates.

Do not support companies like ATI Physical Therapy, who are out to take away Gun rights. ALSO, look for chances to change stupid anti gun laws. Avoid, movie theaters who do not allow you to carry a legal weapon. The shooter in Colorado, drove past theaters that allowed military to carry legal weapons. I do not eat in fast food places.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ask God. I haven't heard Him say I need a gun, but ,maybe He is telling you do? He knows your future. He is a previous God and He will prepare you for what you need.

Luke 22:38
The disciples said, “Look! Here are two swords, Lord!” “That is enough!” he replied.

Do you own a motor vehicle? Did God tell you to get one?
Do you own a house? Did God tell you to get one?
Do you have any Alarms? Did God tell you to get one?
Do you have Insurance of any kind? Did God tell you to get one?
Do you own a Boat, Tools, or anything at all? Did God tell you to get them?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Protecting loved ones and oneself is not the same as protecting loved ones and oneself with deadly force. If one is ok with using deadly force to protect others, they should be ok with it to protect oneself as well.

If these people are using the fact that you are alone as a reason to moreso be against guns.....for you would have even less reason to entertain a gun than those with families.....this is a little more understandable.

Some trust in Guns...
"7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident."

It is an uncertain path travelled for one to decide, that they must now put their trust in man and the works of man, and no longer in God.

The children of Israel too, foresoke the many miracle they beheld via the works of God, to go after objects made by hands to worship and put their trust in..... and time and time again, they fell into greater and greater misfortune.

You too have every right to choose whom or what you desire to put your trust in. And I would find no fault in whatever you choose.

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

God is also the Lord of Armies, I bet they are armed.

Even if you have deadly force, you can wound someone as to not kill.
In fact, in war that is a good strategy because you take 3 to 7 soldiers off the battlefield to help the injured.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Some trust in Guns...

What have those verses got to do with criminal activity? There are verses about not fearing for those about to go into battle. You are blurring distinctions.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What have those verses got to do with criminal activity? There are verses about not fearing for those about to go into battle. You are blurring distinctions.
See in the verses what you are able to see in them. Insert verses you deem more appropriate, where ever you see fit.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I read posts like this I am glad that I live in a country with a different mentality and strict gun controls.

Between 2016 and 2017, the number of homicide victims across Australia decreased from 453 victims to 414 victims (down 39 victims or 9%). The murder victimisation rate was 0.8%. Between the 1989-1990 and 2013-2014 statistical years, the national homicide rate decreased from 1.8 per 100,000 people to 1 per 100,000.

Australia Murder/Homicide Rate 1990-2020

If they are not using guns to kill, what are they using? What of those items can be banned?

Thanks,
Daniel

PS Note US in the link is 5.3 per 100K, so here we need to protect ourselves.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is also the Lord of Armies, I bet they are armed.

Even if you have deadly force, you can wound someone as to not kill.
In fact, in war that is a good strategy because you take 3 to 7 soldiers off the battlefield to help the injured.
They are also fully shielded......helmets of salvation....breastplates of righteousness. Etc...

I see nothing wrong with devising our own battles plans, or standing still and waiting for, then seeing the salvation of the Lord. I suspect that we need and will always have people on both sides.

• Agree
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perceptions and realities
A search of the Factiva media database reveals that over the past five years, there have been about 14,000 media stories each year concerning murder or homicide in Australia. In reality, there were 229 homicide incidents with 235 victims in Australia between July 1 2015 and June 30 2016.

Read more: How safe is Australia? The numbers show public attacks are rare and on the decline

By comparison, there were 1,295 road fatalities in Australia for 2016. This means a person is almost six times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident than be murdered in Australia.
The UN study identified a number of contributors to acts of homicide. Drugs and alcohol are significant – these were present in 37% of homicide perpetrators in the global study.

Australia Murder/Homicide Rate 1990-2020

lack of access to fire arms was also a factor.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
  • In 2015, 2,824 children (age 0 to 19 years) died by gunshot and an additional 13,723 were injured.
  • An emergency department visit for non-fatal assault injury places a youth at 40 percent higher risk for subsequent firearm injury.
  • Those people that die from accidental shooting were more than three times as likely to have had a firearm in their home as those in the control group.
  • Among children, the majority (89%) of unintentional shooting deaths occur in the home. Most of these deaths occur when children are playing with a loaded gun in their parent’s absence.
  • People who report “firearm access” are at twice the risk of homicide and more than three times the risk of suicide compared to those who do not own or have access to firearms.
  • Suicide rates are much higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership, even after controlling for differences among states for poverty, urbanization, unemployment, mental illness, and alcohol or drug abuse.
  • Among suicide victims requiring hospital treatment, suicide attempts with a firearm are much more deadly than attempts by jumping or drug poisoning — 90 percent die compared to 34 percent and 2 percent respectively. About 90 percent of those that survive a suicide attempt do not go on to die by suicide.
  • States implementing universal background checks and mandatory waiting periods prior to the purchase of a firearm show lower rates of suicides than states without this legislation. To read more about suicide and firearms, click here.
  • In states with increased gun availability, death rates from gunshots for children were higher than in states with less availability.
  • The vast majority of accidental firearm deaths among children are related to child access to firearms — either self-inflicted or at the hands of another child.
  • Studies have shown that states with Child Access Prevention (CAP) laws laws have a lower rate of unintentional death than states without CAP laws.
  • Domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly with a gun in the home. An abusive partner’s access to a firearm increases the risk of homicide eight-fold for women in physically abusive relationships. Read more about the impact of child exposure to domestic violence..
Gun Violence: Facts and Statistics

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Gun Violence Statistics | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Giffords-Stats-Page-Totals.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Breakdown.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-States.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-International.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Suicide.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Police.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-UGV.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Kids.png

We need more guns and less regulation? Who does that actually benefit? "A well regulated militia" Not "wife beaters, children, and mass shooters" The system is broken
Giffords-Stats-Page-Unintentional.png

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gun Violence Statistics | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Giffords-Stats-Page-Totals.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Breakdown.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-States.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-International.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Suicide.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Police.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-UGV.png

Giffords-Stats-Page-Kids.png

We need more guns and less regulation? Who does that actually benefit? "A well regulated militia" Not "wife beaters, children, and mass shooters" The system is broken
Giffords-Stats-Page-Unintentional.png
With your own stats? Assuming only 4600,000 people own handguns? The percentage of people who die from gun violence would equal .01 percent.

Now,if we only count the 1500 children killed? With 4600000 homes where guns are unlocked? That percentage comes to .000032608695 percent!

Suicides is a lame stat to give. Guns do not cause suicide. Suicides are their own cause.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You must tailor the conversation to the audience. :)

Try discussing less loaded subjects to gauge their reaction and receptivity. Share a small goal. You want to know who’s in your corner before you entrust them with bigger things. Some people enjoy poking holes in our dreams. I mentioned goals for that reason.

~Bella

Thank you

I need to set goals for myself.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When I read posts like this I am glad that I live in a country with a different mentality and strict gun controls.

I was hopping around YouTube yesterday and came across an American saying after living abroad 2 1/2 years she had reverse culture shock on returning to the US as she said in the US it is a life with a constant thread of underlaying fear of being mugged, broken into and in some way becoming a victim to crime. Her Sister-in-law said she was 'brave' to take a bus. That the whole time she was aborad she had no weapon and had felt fine, used buses and felt safe.

So I assume this is your culture of fear coming through. This is a very American way of thinking. Looking on countries for highest crime rates, the US does not even make the top 3. That goes to Venezuela, Papua New Guinea and South Africa. The US was way down the list at 50th place. So maybe the US mindset of fear is somewhat misplaced.
I have never owned a gun.
Never thought of owning a gun
Would not want to own a gun
We came in at 72nd place for crime.
Never really thought about protection except when my husband is away I do take care to make sure doors are locked and that my mobile phone is on the bedside table. That is my idea of protecting myself.

Thank you for that info

It is true that I have a lot of fear. But that is comforting to know that we are not even in the top 3.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ask God. I haven't heard Him say I need a gun, but ,maybe He is telling you do? He knows your future. He is a previous God and He will prepare you for what you need.

Good idea. Thank you

Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Many people believe that a Christian is obligated to not use potentially-lethal means for self-defense. Certain denominations emphasize the value of being a martyr rather than possibly kill an attacker.

Jesus talked about turning the other cheek, and not resisting evil, but when the rubber meets the road, you have to have a plan in place: be passive or be defensive. It's your choice.

I've been there. My hesitancy to defend my mom nearly cost her life.
Theologians can argue Scripture in their ivory towers all day; I choose to carry a gun.
And yes, I know how to use it. (classes and regular practice).

So make up your mind before you face that situation. Your decision may change as you get older and more experienced. My two sons don't carry guns, but the world hasn't kicked them around very much - at least not yet.

Yeah, I guess there would be different responses to whether or not Christians should carry a gun. I will pray about it.

• Agree
Upvote 0