Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why is it okay for people to protect their loved ones, but some people think it is not okay to protect yourself?

I do not have any children or a wife. So, I don't know what it is like to have that protective feeling, like parents do. But when I talk about buying a gun to protect myself, some people tell me that I am wrong. Don't I have the right to love myself the way you love your family?

Update: This was not news. I meant to put this in Christian Advice. Oops

So, I asked the staff to move it. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why is it okay for people to protect their loved ones, but some people think it is not okay to protect yourself?

I do not have any children or a wife. So, I don't know what it is like to have that protective feeling, like parents do. But when I talk about buying a gun to protect myself, some people tell me that I am wrong. Don't I have the right to love myself the way you love your family?
I have never heard that being wide spread. It may be that people feel look if you choose not to defend yourself that is between you and God, but you should defend others who cannot defend themselves. I personally for the record have NO problem with self defense and if my eyesight and motor skills (I have CP) would allow it I would carry concealed.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have never heard that being wide spread. It may be that people feel look if you choose not to defend yourself that is between you and God, but you should defend others who cannot defend themselves. I personally for the record have NO problem with self defense and if my eyesight and motor skills (I have CP) would allow it I would carry concealed.

Thank you for your response. I did mean to put this in Christian Advice. It wasn't news. LOL

But thank you for that. I really do appreciate it.

• Agree
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Never heard of single people "singled" out like this before concerning having guns. Around here it's almost an expectation that everyone would have one.

My biggest concern would be that if you haven't had sufficient and regular training, then in a stress situation you are at risk of being more of a danger to yourself than to others, or accidentally shoot someone that wasn't a threat, so if you do get a pistol or rifle for self-defense, then proper training needs to go along with it.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You’ve answered your question.

But when I talk about buying a gun to protect myself, some people tell me that I am wrong. Don't I have the right to love myself the way you love your family?

You’ve admitted the absence of a wife and family and elect to discuss a controversial subject with others. Why are you surprised they feel differently? How is your admission relevant to them?

If you want to discuss gun ownership do it in the company of gun owners. If you have questions direct them to the right source.

When I desired information I posed a question on the Firearms forum. But that didn’t prevent someone from advising me otherwise whom I’ve never spoken to outside of this venue.

That’s the consequence of a public post. Anyone can respond. I didn’t take it personal. It’s just an opinion. But the one that counts is my companion and loved ones. They’re directly impacted by that choice.

If you’re looking for agreement or validation you’ll come up short. There’s always dissent at some point.

~Bella

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But when I talk about buying a gun to protect myself, some people tell me that I am wrong. Don't I have the right to love myself the way you love your family?

The problem is those people who are telling you you're wrong. You are the only person who knows if owning a gun is right or wrong for you.

Proper training is essential.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Never heard of single people "singled" out like this before concerning having guns. Around here it's almost an expectation that everyone would have one.

My biggest concern would be that if you haven't had sufficient and regular training, then in a stress situation you are at risk of being more of a danger to yourself than to others, or accidentally shoot someone that wasn't a threat, so if you do get a pistol or rifle for self-defense, then proper training needs to go along with it.

Yeah, I don't think they are singling out anyone. But I understand why it sounds like I am saying that they are singling out people. I apologize. I am terrible with words. So, this is on me.

But I would talk to my friends who would be willing to do anything for their children. They would defend their children at all cost. But then when I talk to them about me getting a gun to defend myself, they would say that they don't think I should have a gun. They think that I could hurt someone that is innocent. So, it's like they are saying that they would defend their kids at all cost, but I can't defend myself at all cost.

• Agree
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You’ve answered your question.

You’ve admitted the absence of a wife and family and elect to discuss a controversial subject with others. Why are you surprised they feel differently? How is your admission relevant to them?

If you want to discuss gun ownership do it in the company of gun owners. If you have questions direct them to the right source.

When I desired information I posed a question on the Firearms forum. But that didn’t prevent someone from advising me otherwise whom I’ve never spoken to outside of this venue.

That’s the consequence of a public post. Anyone can respond. I didn’t take it personal. It’s just an opinion. But the one that counts is my companion and loved ones. They’re directly impacted by that choice.

If you’re looking for agreement or validation you’ll come up short. There’s always dissent at some point.

~Bella

That is true. And I know that I need to accept that. Sometimes it is hard. But I get what you are saying @LaBèlla

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The problem is those people who are telling you you're wrong. You are the only person who knows if owning a gun is right or wrong for you.

Proper training is essential.

Thank you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If is fine to protect oneself and your neighbors.

I use tranq guns to knock out problem children.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone has a right to defend themselves, except me I am mentally ill is not lawful for me to have one.

There are many other ways to defend yourself that are legal for you.

Look into pepper spray, knives, axes, baseball bats, maybe swords.

Above all, keep your mental state intact, as much as possible.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is true. And I know that I need to accept that. Sometimes it is hard. But I get what you are saying @LaBèlla

You must tailor the conversation to the audience. :)

Try discussing less loaded subjects to gauge their reaction and receptivity. Share a small goal. You want to know who’s in your corner before you entrust them with bigger things. Some people enjoy poking holes in our dreams. I mentioned goals for that reason.

~Bella

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,224,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Many people believe that a Christian is obligated to not use potentially-lethal means for self-defense. Certain denominations emphasize the value of being a martyr rather than possibly kill an attacker.

Jesus talked about turning the other cheek, and not resisting evil, but when the rubber meets the road, you have to have a plan in place: be passive or be defensive. It's your choice.

I've been there. My hesitancy to defend my mom nearly cost her life.
Theologians can argue Scripture in their ivory towers all day; I choose to carry a gun.
And yes, I know how to use it. (classes and regular practice).

So make up your mind before you face that situation. Your decision may change as you get older and more experienced. My two sons don't carry guns, but the world hasn't kicked them around very much - at least not yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There are many other ways to defend yourself that are legal for you.

Look into pepper spray, knives, axes, baseball bats, maybe swords.

Above all, keep your mental state intact, as much as possible.
Yea my mom keeps me level headed and she taught me how to shoot.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
when the rubber meets the road, you have to have a plan in place: be passive or be defensive.

So make up your mind before you face that situation.

That is the most useful thing I have heard all day.

Me and my mom's checklist.

Have a go bag, with first aid kit.

Copying bible, in case they confiscate bibles.

Have a garden and access to fresh water.

Have good relationships with neighbors and friends in area.

Have a exit in case you need to leave area.

Stay informed on your local militia, city, and state rules and mandates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ask God. I haven't heard Him say I need a gun, but ,maybe He is telling you do? He knows your future. He is a previous God and He will prepare you for what you need.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When I read posts like this I am glad that I live in a country with a different mentality and strict gun controls.

I was hopping around YouTube yesterday and came across an American saying after living abroad 2 1/2 years she had reverse culture shock on returning to the US as she said in the US it is a life with a constant thread of underlaying fear of being mugged, broken into and in some way becoming a victim to crime. Her Sister-in-law said she was 'brave' to take a bus. That the whole time she was aborad she had no weapon and had felt fine, used buses and felt safe.

So I assume this is your culture of fear coming through. This is a very American way of thinking. Looking on countries for highest crime rates, the US does not even make the top 3. That goes to Venezuela, Papua New Guinea and South Africa. The US was way down the list at 50th place. So maybe the US mindset of fear is somewhat misplaced.
I have never owned a gun.
Never thought of owning a gun
Would not want to own a gun
We came in at 72nd place for crime.
Never really thought about protection except when my husband is away I do take care to make sure doors are locked and that my mobile phone is on the bedside table. That is my idea of protecting myself.

Upvote 0