• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

George Knight's AT article on EGW's authourity

Discussion in 'Progressive/Moderate Adventists' started by NightEternal, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Adventtruth

Adventtruth God is the Gospel!

+36
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Hey you give the people their own prophet, that has a direct line to God, who needs or has time for the bible?

AT

2. Sophia7

Sophia7 Tall73's Wife Supporter

+376
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    All of her errors and contradictions and other flaws make it impossible for me to look to her as any kind of trustworthy authority, even pastoral. Yes, I think that God used her in some ways, but God can use any of us; that doesn't make us prophets.

My version of the statement that I bolded above would be that we should use our God-given judgment, discernment and common sense when dealing with her views, just as we would with any other writer (inspired or not). I wouldn't start with the assumption that she was inspired, which your statement does.

3. Adventtruth

+36
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The alarming thing and question about that paper is why would God even give such. It's all there in Galatians for all to glean. I agree with you...its absurd.

AT

4. Adventtruth

+36
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    This is a given NE. While I was attending Sabbath mornings, I knew of those who had problems with her authority.

AT

5. RC_NewProtestants

RC_NewProtestants Senior Veteran

+62
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Republican
    Worse then that, who needs to think and study for themselves. That of course led to the thinking that it was perfectly acceptable to point to her writings to end debate or discussion. Which is no doubt why she used the terms testimonies of God and Spirit of prophecy for her works.

I would place her in category of Martin Luther, a person who was a devoted Christian and who heart was in the right place yet said and did some horrible things. Whose views of God were often foolish or naive yet who would attack anyone who disagreed with their views. Yet both were certainly reformers to their generations. And neither were prophets even when they produced the most wonderful and uplifting writings.

6. Cliff2

Cliff2 Well-Known Member

+51
    SDA

I have read the book by Bradford and agree with it. It is a very good summary of EGW.

Bradford is in no way against EGW but gives a balanced view of how she wrote and received messages from God.

Then as a Church as to how we would be better off viewing her writings.

7. icedragon101

icedragon101 Senior Veteran Supporter

+112
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    he he he he he AT you are funny

8. freeindeed2

freeindeed2 In Christ We Are FREE!

+6,658
    Christian
    Married
    Like Pharoh?;)

All of these discussions about SDA's second source of authority (which interprets the first) are built on assumption(s), namely that she was inspired by God.

9. Adventtruth

+36
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If that where in fact the case, there would not be as much divide and conquer within the ranks of Adventism. And just maybe she would be more orthodox. As it is now she enjoys being seen as the ugly duckling or unpromising one, because she thinks she is the real apple of Gods eye and will be justifed as so in the end,thus being established as THE Remnant people.

Gods covenant people under the law also saw in the prophets that Messiah would come...They believed with sword and power to establish and Justify them as His true people above all the nations on the earth, but It was not as they percieved, and they went out, and they went on and Killed the Lord of Glory.

One other odd note...there are those today and of the past who claimed that Luther claimed himself a prophet. How silly is that!

AT