Not open for further replies.

JFrench

Oct 10, 2005
✟172.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok - this has been something I've been trying to get a hold of for a long time now, so I finally decided to turn to other Christians to see what they think.

Genesis 6:1-4 seems like major info just thrown into the God's Word without the necessary explaination to understand it. The part that throws me off is the "sons of God"... are these godly men or fallen angels? The debate has probably been going on for awhile - I've heard both arguements but I can't settle it in my own mind, and for some reason, that single issue keeps coming back up to me.

Up until recently, I've gone with the side that argues that the sons of God were just godly men - based on several
conclusions, one being that when Jesus explained about marriage being terminated at death because at the resurection (in Matthew 22:30, Mark 12:25, and Luke 20:24-25), our bodies will be like the angels - I've always taken that to mean that there isn't really gender in angels. Another reason is that if fallen angels were able to mate with human women, then what's stopping them from still doing so now? Is it the notion that demons need a physical body to possess in order to function in the physical world whereas before the flood, they could become physical beings themselves??

I would love to hear opinions about this area of Scripture! Thanks!!

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
Greetings J French,

Yeah, I know what you mean. The topic is not fully revealed in the scriptures. I seem to sway back and forth on this, but one might consider this parable also:

Matt 13:24-30 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Now I know the "world" is God's field and that it was He who sowed righteous seed upon it. But these verses say that the enemy came in and sowed his own "seed" and there were to grow together with the good wheat until harvest time, which is at the end of the world.

So, what do you think?

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

JFrench

Oct 10, 2005
✟172.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dad Ernie - Thanks for your reply! well, I understand what you are saying, and that completely makes sense spiritually, but I guess what I was asking is about the possibility of demons "sowing their seed" physically.

Satan and demonic spirits can spiritually corrupt, abuse, and blind people - they can harm people physically, emotionally, and spiritually (Job) and do permant damage. Matt 13:24-30 speaks of those spiritually in the kingdom of Satan verses those in Christ. That's not what I'm unsure about.

Are you suggesting that Genesis 6:1-4 is not litteral, but metophoric for what was going on spiritually??

What does everyone else out there think of Genesis 6:1-4 ... are the sons of God simply godly men or fallen angels?

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look at passages like Job 2:1

The sons of God and Satan met before God. This is an obvious account of angels here.

Also think about this, why would the sexual union of the "sons of God" and "daugthers of men" produce supersized humans? Unless "sons of God" were fallen angels.

Look at Jude 6-7, here we see fallen angels kept in eternal bonds for doing something of a wrongful sexual nature.

I believe the Nephilum in Genesis where the offspring of fallen angels and man. Remember angels can manifest themsleves to look like humans and this would include private parts as well. They could have been doing this to try and taint the bloodline of a future Messiah. Who knows...but right after we read this in Genesis, God decided to Flood the whole world. Angels dont do this today because they know God will chain them up for eternity...like those in Jude. This was one thing God just could not stand for.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Interesting explanations so far. Here's the explanation the editor of the Douay-Rheims gives in the footnote:

2 "The sons of God"... The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called sons of God from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men. The unhappy consequence of the former marrying with the latter, ought to be a warning to Christians to be very circumspect in their marriages; and not to suffer themselves to be determined in their choice by their carnal passion, to the prejudice of virtue or religion.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
QuantaCura said:
Interesting explanations so far. Here's the explanation the editor of the Douay-Rheims gives in the footnote:

2 "The sons of God"... The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called sons of God from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men. The unhappy consequence of the former marrying with the latter, ought to be a warning to Christians to be very circumspect in their marriages; and not to suffer themselves to be determined in their choice by their carnal passion, to the prejudice of virtue or religion.

This is nonsense. How would anyone know if Cains descendants were ALL unglodly? I know plenty of people who have "non-believing" parents but yet they are Christians and love God. Also, this still does not answer the question of WHY ungodly men would produce gaint offspring.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Jig said:
How would anyone know if Cains descendants were ALL unglodly?

At that point, God would (and remember He is the primary author of Scripture.)--Just like He knew who was godly or not in Sodom in Gammorah or any other group that He wiped out or commanded to be wiped out.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Jig said:
God would know...now prove He said this. By using them term "daughters of men"?

That's the point of this thread. That passage is vague and no one really knows exactly what happened there. The key is to understand what lesson is being taught there. Here's why I think it's just talking about people:

If we look at what happens when we become Christians and are Baptised, we are incorporated into the Body of Christ and become children of God. Before Christ became our head, Adam was (which is why we received the effects of His sin and why Jesus is called the new Adam). We were once children of men and we now become children of God.

I think similarly, back then, the term children of God would simply mean godly folks and the children of men are those that simply follow.

The "giants" that are produced from this union are so called more for their monstrous, carnal, and savage ways than for their actual stature. This is why we have the flood, because human beings have become ungodly.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
QuantaCura said:
That's the point of this thread. That passage is vague and no one really knows exactly what happened there. The key is to understand what lesson is being taught there. Here's why I think it's just talking about people:

If we look at what happens when we become Christians and are Baptised, we are incorporated into the Body of Christ and become children of God. Before Christ became our head, Adam was (which is why we received the effects of His sin and why Jesus is called the new Adam). We were once children of men and we now become children of God.

I think similarly, back then, the term children of God would simply mean godly folks and the children of men are those that simply follow.

The "giants" that are produced from this union are so called more for their monstrous, carnal, and savage ways than for their actual stature. This is why we have the flood, because human beings have become ungodly.

Even Seth's decendants. Get it. Even Seth's decendants were not godly. Only Noah.

Your arguing that the "sons of God" were godly because they came from Seth. If this was true God would have saved them too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JFrench

Oct 10, 2005
✟172.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jig —
Also think about this, why would the sexual union of the "sons of God" and "daugthers of men" produce supersized humans? Unless "sons of God" were fallen angels.

Look at Jude 6-7, here we see fallen angels kept in eternal bonds for doing something of a wrongful sexual nature.

I believe the Nephilum in Genesis where the offspring of fallen angels and man. Remember angels can manifest themsleves to look like humans and this would include private parts as well. They could have been doing this to try and taint the bloodline of a future Messiah. Who knows...but right after we read this in Genesis, God decided to Flood the whole world. Angels dont do this today because they know God will chain them up for eternity...like those in Jude. This was one thing God just could not stand for.

These are the best logical arguments that I've ever heard on this issue! Especially the simple fact you mentioned: "...why would the sexual union of the "sons of God" and "daugthers of men" produce supersized humans? Unless "sons of God" were fallen angels." I'd have to agree with this point. Actually, I have no idea why that wasn't obvious to me before. I mean, God warned against being unequally yoked throughout Scripture, and we see other evidence of the consequences of doing such: it ends up spiritually corrupting the one who was godly, simply by influence (Deuteronomy 7:3-4; Nehemiah 13:26-27; II Corinthians 6:14-16). But we don't see unequally yoked human unions after that producing giants - nor do we see that today.

It also makes sense about angels being able to manifest themselves as humans, or how would we be entertaining them without knowing it (Hebrews 13:2). And Satan was able to manifest himself as a physical serpent (physical enough that it had legs before it was cursed and didn't after - Genesis 3).

Thanks for your insight!

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I found this article to be helpful http://www.cresourcei.org/giants.html

In Canaanite mythology the giants came from intermarriage between human beings and the gods. That is the mythical aspect of the story here in Genesis, adopted from the cultural context of the ancient world. Now, whether or not Israel believed in the other gods about which the myths told the stories is not the point here. The point is that they took this particular section of myth, that these giants were the result of intermarriage between the gods and human beings, and used that to illustrate the depths to which the disruption in the world had reached, how bad the crossing of boundaries had become. It was a way to describe how bad the world had become because the divine realm and the human realm had started to mix. This example of the magnitude of disruption in the world implies that it would continue to cause problems in creation.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joykins said:
I found this article to be helpful http://www.cresourcei.org/giants.html

In Canaanite mythology the giants came from intermarriage between human beings and the gods. That is the mythical aspect of the story here in Genesis, adopted from the cultural context of the ancient world. Now, whether or not Israel believed in the other gods about which the myths told the stories is not the point here. The point is that they took this particular section of myth, that these giants were the result of intermarriage between the gods and human beings, and used that to illustrate the depths to which the disruption in the world had reached, how bad the crossing of boundaries had become. It was a way to describe how bad the world had become because the divine realm and the human realm had started to mix. This example of the magnitude of disruption in the world implies that it would continue to cause problems in creation.

Do you actually believe this? This quote suggests that the writer of Genesis held fast to pagan myths and intergraded them into Christian beliefs merely to make a symbolic point to early Jews. What about people today? The bible was written for all ages of history to understand, not just the Jews. If that was actually the intended point of that account in Genesis then it has failed to truely stand out. That understanding is not held on to by the majority of bible scholars nor by the general Christian.

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Princess of the Lord of Grace and Power
Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you don't think the events in Gen 6:1-4 aren't happening today, you'd be wrong.

Matthew 24:36-41 - "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

I suggest that maybe the entities possing as aliens from outer space are really fallen angels and they're doing the same thing they did back when...

Isn't it interesting that abductees describe sexual experiments (retrieving genetic material) being done on them?

Upvote 0

PastorMike

Newry Christian Centre
Oct 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟26,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The lines of Cain and Seth are a myth...If you read this in hebrew (strongs concordance) it speaks of the sons of Elohim (God) and the daughters of Adam...

So if you hold to the Seth/Cain view...Seth was Elohim and Cain was Adam...God bless, Mike.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
knownbeforetime said:
If you don't think the events in Gen 6:1-4 aren't happening today, you'd be wrong.

Matthew 24:36-41 - "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

I suggest that maybe the entities possing as aliens from outer space are really fallen angels and they're doing the same thing they did back when...

Isn't it interesting that abductees describe sexual experiments (retrieving genetic material) being done on them?

My view of the passage you just mentioned.

People today are indifferent just like the people of Noah's day. They ate, drank, married, etc, in other words just went through everyday routines as if they were going to live forever. Though warned of the flood, they choice to not believe and walked around thinking they were flood-proof. So when it came they were unprepared. This is how it will be when Christ comes, we must prepare now and enter into the safety of Christ's ark.

As for the people in the field and mill being taken, is not a reference to the rapture, but jugdment. The one taken away is the one swept away by judgment and the ones left will be allowed the blessing of enjoying Christ's 1000 year reign. Nothing to do with fallen angels here.

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jig said:
My view of the passage you just mentioned.

People today are indifferent just like the people of Noah's day. They ate, drank, married, etc, in other words just went through everyday routines as if they were going to live forever. Though warned of the flood, they choice to not believe and walked around thinking they were flood-proof. So when it came they were unprepared. This is how it will be when Christ comes, we must prepare now and enter into the safety of Christ's ark.
Yes, people are indifferent and think they are immortal. But I also think the gene pool is being tampered with.

Jig said:
As for the people in the field and mill being taken, is not a reference to the rapture, but jugdment. The one taken away is the one swept away by judgment and the ones left will be allowed the blessing of enjoying Christ's 1000 year reign. Nothing to do with fallen angels here.
I didn't say it did. I only included it to give it context. However, I think it does have to do with the rapture. I think the people taken are being preserved through judgment and the people left are going to experience it. The people Noah took with him were preserved and the people left were swept away. Also, Lot was taken from Sodom and the people left were judged.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
knownbeforetime said:
Y I think the people taken are being preserved through judgment and the people left are going to experience it. The people Noah took with him were preserved and the people left were swept away. Also, Lot was taken from Sodom and the people left were judged.

Oh, yes...it does seem to be this way. I admit to believing this too at once. The reason I support my new view is because of a learning of the contex these verses carry. While your interpretation as vaild application, the contex makes it clear that this has everything to do with Christ's riegn. The previous verses talk of Noah and how his ark saved mankind and brought it to a new Earth. A revived Earth so man could start off fresh again. Thus, if we believe in Christ and enter into His life-saving ark that is Him we will pass through the tribulation period (the complete destruction of mankind that are not on Christ's ark) and be saved, we will be brought to yet another new Earth where mankind and Christ now reign fresh for 1000 years.

"Two men will be in the field; one will be taken away to judgment, the other will be left to enter the Millennium reign of Christ."

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jig said:
Oh, yes...it does seem to be this way. I admit to believing this too at once. The reason I support my new view is because of a learning of the contex these verses carry. While your interpretation as vaild application, the contex makes it clear that this has everything to do with Christ's riegn. The previous verses talk of Noah and how his ark saved mankind and brought it to a new Earth. A revived Earth so man could start off fresh again. Thus, if we believe in Christ and enter into His life-saving ark that is Him we will pass through the tribulation period (the complete destruction of mankind that are not on Christ's ark) and be saved, we will be brought to yet another new Earth where mankind and Christ now reign fresh for 1000 years.
You've got your symbolism all wrong. Noah is a type of Israel. Israel is going to be protected from the judgment but will not be removed. The Church is like Enoch who was "raptured" before the flood.

Jig said:
"Two men will be in the field; one will be taken away to judgment, the other will be left to enter the Millennium reign of Christ."
I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all. Enoch was taken, Lot was taken, and eventually the Church will be taken before the judgment happens. In Revelation, the judgment is on the "inhabitants of the Earth" (Rev. 6:10, 8:13, 11:10 etc...). Christians are citizens of Heaven (Phillipians 3:20). So, if you're living through the destruction described in Revelation, you're a citizen of Earth and not of Heaven.

I think I'll throw this out there just for fun...
Isaiah 26:19-21

"But your dead will live;
their bodies will rise.
You who dwell in the dust,
wake up and shout for joy.
Your dew is like the dew of the morning;
the earth will give birth to her dead.

Go, my people, enter your rooms
and shut the doors behind you;
hide yourselves for a little while
until his wrath has passed by.

See, the LORD is coming out of his dwelling
to punish the people of the earth for their sins.
The earth will disclose the blood shed upon her;
she will conceal her slain no longer."

A pre-trib rapture is just how the Lord works...

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't have the time or energy for this anymore so allow me to post this

Appendix 25 from the Companion Bible.

[size=+1][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]The progeny of the fallen angels with the daughters of Adam (see notes on Genesis 6, and Appendix 23 are called in Genesis 6, N[/font][/size][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1] e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]-phil´-im, which means fallen ones (from naphal, to fall). What these beings were can be gathered only from Scripture. They were evidently great in size, as well as great in wickedness. They were superhuman, abnormal beings; and their destruction was necessary for the preservation of the human race, and for the faithfulness of Jehovah's Word (Genesis 3:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]15[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]).
This was why the Flood was brouhgt "upon the world of the ungodly" ([/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]2[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]Peter 2:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]5[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]) as prophesied by Enoch (Jude [/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]14[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]).
But we read of the N[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]philim again in Numbers 13:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]33[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1] : "there we saw the N[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]philim, the sons of Anak, which come of the N[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]philim". How, it may be asked, could this be, if they were all destroyed in the Flood ? The answer is contained in Genesis 6:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]4[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1], where we read: "There were N[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]philim in the earth in those days (that is to say, in the days of Noah); and also AFTER THAT, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became [the] mighty men (Hebrew gibbor, the heroes) which were of old, men of renown" (literally, men of the name, that is to say, who got a name and were renowned for their ungodliness).
So that "after that", that is to say, after the Flood, there was a second irruption of these fallen angels, evidently smaller in number and more limited in area, for they were for the most part confined to Canaan, and were in fact known as "the nations of Canaan". It was for the destruction of these, that the sword of Israel was necessary, as the Flood had been before.
As to the date of this second irruption, it was evidently soon after it became known that the seed was to come through Abraham; for, when he came out from Haran (Genesis 12:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]6[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]) and entered Canaan, the significant fact is stated: "The Canaanite was then (that is to say, already) in the land." And in Genesis 14:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]5[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1] they were already known as "Rephaim" and "Emim", and had established themselves as Ashteroth Karnaim and Shaveh Kiriathaim.
In chapter 15:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]18-21[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1] they are enumerated and named among Canaanite Peoples: "Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims, and the Amorites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites" (Genesis 15:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]19-21[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; compare Exodus 3:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]8,17[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 23:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]23[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Deuteronomy 7; 20:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]17[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Joshua 12:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]8[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]).
These were to be cut off, and driven out, and utterly destroyed (Deuteronomy 20:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]17[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Joshua 3:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]10[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]). But Israel failed in this (Joshua 13:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]13[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 15:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]63[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 16:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]10[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 17:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]18[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Judges 1:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]19,20,28,29,30-36[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 2:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]1-5[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 3:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]1-7[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]); and we know not how many got away to other countries to escape the general destruction. If this were recognized it would go far to solve many problems connected with Anthropology.
As to their other names, they were called Anakim, from one Anak which came of the N[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]philim (Numbers 13:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]22,33[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]), and R[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]phaim, from Rapha, another notable one among them.
From Deuteronomy 2:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]10[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1], they were known by some as Emim, and Horim, and Zamzummim (verse [/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]20,21[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]) and Avim, etc. [/size][/font]

[font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]
As R[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]phaim they were well known, and are often mentioned: but, unfortunately, instead of this, their proper name, being preserved, it is variously translated as "dead", "deceased", or "giants". These R[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]phaim are to have no resurrection. This fact is stated in Isaiah 26:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]14[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1] (where the proper name is rendered "deceased", and verse [/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]19[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1], where it is rendered "the dead").
It is rendered "dead" seven times (Job 26:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]5[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Psalm 88:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]10[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Proverbs 2:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]18[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 9:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]18[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 21:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]16[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Isaiah 14:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]8[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 26:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]19[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]).
It is rendered "deceased" in Isaiah 26:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]14[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. [/size][/font]

[font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]
It is retained as proper name "R[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]phaim" ten times (two being in the margin). Genesis 14:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]5[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 15:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]20[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. Joshua 12:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]15[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1] (margin). [/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]2[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]Samuel 5:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]18,22[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 23:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]13[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]. [/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]1[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]Chronicles 11:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]15[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 14:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]9[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]; 20:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]4[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1] (margin). Isaiah 17:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]5[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1].
In all other places it is rendered "giants" , Genesis 6:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]4[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1], Numbers 23:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]33[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1], where it is N[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]philim; and Job 16:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]14[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1], where it is gibbor (Appendix 14. iv).
By reading all these passages the Bible student may know all that can be known about these beings.
It is certain that the second irruption took place before Genesis 14, for there the R[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=-1]e[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]phaim were mixed up with the five nations or peoples, which included Sodom and Gomorrha, and were defeated by the four kings under Chedorlaomer. Their principal locality was evidently "Ashtaroth Karnaim"; while the Emim were in the plain of Kiriathaim (Genesis 14:[/size][/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman]5[/font][font=Aldine,Kuenst,Clarendon,Times New Roman][size=+1]).
[/size][/font]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.