General ramblings only in part related to pets....

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I sit right now in Salt Lake City airport waiting for my next flight. I find I no longer enjoy flying much at all. When I have to travel, I miss my cats. I find comfort in them sleeping on and against me. Even Andromeda, who likes to lick my hands all the time.

I had to fly out from home quickly 3 weeks ago. Got a call from my sister at 1:15am, mom was sent to the hospital with a 104 fever. By 7am her blood pressure was dropping and bottomed at something like 71 over 30 and the consensus from the doctors there and my bother-in-law and nephew (doctors as well) was she was not going to make it. We had her get last rights and I tried to tell her on the phone I loved her, but she was not conscious and likely did not hear me. Even if she had, she has dementia and would have forgotten quickly. It sucks living so far away and in a very rural area. By 9am I had a ticket to get to NJ but it took me to Seattle and then a red-eye landing at 7am the following morning. Mom rebounded, thankfully and I spent 3 days with her in the hospital, then flew home. I had a business trip and mom visit scheduled in about 3 weeks (which is now) and so here I am in Salt Lake City on the way to Chicago and then to NJ at weeks end. I realize that if/when my mother is dying that there is likely no way I’ll make it there in time and if like 3 weeks ago, she was too out of it to talk to on the phone to tell her I loved her. At 91 I know that time will come again and sooner rather than later. Sadly, such is life.

So now I’ll spend almost 2 weeks on this trip and not sleeping well, I never do on trips. One of our older cats, Orion is sick and it is likely cancer. I am not going to even try to have it checked as he is not tolerant of anesthesia and we cannot risk using it on him at his age to get biopsies. So we have been treating him for all other possibilities and are sure it is cancer by the process of elimination now. So being away from home while he is like that also makes me a bit uneasy. And of course Orion was all out of sorts this morning and I was readying to leave, he thought we were going to take him to the vet, which he hates, and so he hid and refused to take some of his meds. I was not able to say good-bye to him (and Andromeda and Apollo) before I left as he/they were busy hiding. But Perseus and Nova said good-bye and sat with me. I do believe Andromeda did manage to leave me some fur on my clothes last night as I packed, she kept curling up in the suitcase on my clothes. ;)

I look forward to seeing mom again on Saturday and to be home the following Saturday and be greeted by Andromeda, Nova and Orion (who always do that) and be snubbed by Apollo and Perseus will hide from me for a couple hours. But they are our cat family/clowder and it makes me happy to get back to them.

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First off, I like your signature, so a little humor..
My youngest daughter went to Catholic school starting in kindergarten, and was a little dutchy, so she always called it the cat-lick school. Always made me chuckle.

Anyways, cat's are pretty resilient and tend to go more with the flow and not get too awful upset like some dogs can.

A thought came to mind, what about a stuffed cat to sleep with and comfort? Wait, no not a real "used to be alive" stuffed kind of cat, but a fake, stuffing filled kind. I know it's not the same, but might help you get a little better sleep.
Anyways, praying that your trip goes well, you are safe, and get back to the loved ones,
In Christ...

Upvote 0