Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oenology is so intriguing to me. I'm not a patient person so whenever my search takes more time than I like, the end result is worth it. Just finding that one piece of info after a long wait lifts my spirits up.

Genealogy can be a fun hobby, I was into it for several years. Ancestry is by far the best researching site I've seen.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Genealogy can be a fun hobby, I was into it for several years. Ancestry is by far the best researching site I've seen.

I use Ancestry.com as well as other sites but, yes, Ancestry is the best. Boy, I really messed up the spelling of Genealogy in my last post. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Found it difficult to trace my family to be honest.

One, they wouldnt sit still long enough for me to draw a pencil around them.

Two, pedigree certificates dont go back that far!

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Found it difficult to trace my family to be honest.

One, they wouldnt sit still long enough for me to draw a pencil around them.

Two, pedigree certificates dont go back that far!

Some of my stumbling blocks. My mother tells us that our family is a bunch nomads lol.

• Haha
Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I use Ancestry and My Heritage but not familiar with others. Also, do you keep up with Legacy for recording and documenting your genealogy?

I usually keep things on Ancestry or MyHeritage.

One of the benefits of having some close relatives that are Mormon is that Ancestry give them a sweet deal. They have full access to all records for free, and when my membership runs out I usually use their accounts to keep searching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you have heirlooms?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Aaron and Phebe Kneeland.jpg
Chet and Mary.jpg
One of the families most directly effected by the Salem hysteria were the Towne's. Three sisters, Mary Towne Estey, Rebecca Towne Nurse and Sarah Towne Cloyes were accused and the first two were hanged. There were six Towne brothers and sisters who came to the colonies and lived into adulthood. Of those six, I am descended from four of them. Mary and Rebecca were my 10th great-grandmothers while Edmund and Jacob were my 10th great-grandfathers. The lines of descent come together in my great-grandparents Chester Saunders and Mary Page. Chester's great-grandparents, Aaron Kneeland and Phoebe Pierce Kneeland were the descendants of Mary and Edmund (Aaron) and Jacob (Pheobe).

Attached are photos of Aaron and Pheobe from a news article commemorating their 65th wedding anniversary and Chester and Mary celebrating their 55th.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mine:
Mary Barton (1746-1835), Samuel Barton (1691-), Samuel Barton*

*Samuel was the eldest son of Matthew Barton and his wife, Martha. He was born about 1664, probably in Salem. He grew up in Salem, and married Hannah Bridges, also of Salem, about 1690. Hannah was the daughter of Edmund Bridges and Sarah Towne. In 1692, Hannah's mother Sarah, along with her aunts Rebecca Nurse and Mary Esty, were accused in the Salem Witch Trials. Rebecca and Mary were hanged, but Sarah, who was also condemned, escaped from the jail in Ipswich.
RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Flint Family and Allied Lines

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
View attachment 253182 View attachment 253183 One of the families most directly effected by the Salem hysteria were the Towne's. Three sisters, Mary Towne Estey, Rebecca Towne Nurse and Sarah Towne Cloyes were accused and the first two were hanged. There were six Towne brothers and sisters who came to the colonies and lived into adulthood. Of those six, I am descended from four of them. Mary and Rebecca were my 10th great-grandmothers while Edmund and Jacob were my 10th great-grandfathers. The lines of descent come together in my great-grandparents Chester Saunders and Mary Page. Chester's great-grandparents, Aaron Kneeland and Phoebe Pierce Kneeland were the descendants of Mary and Edmund (Aaron) and Jacob (Pheobe).

Attached are photos of Aaron and Pheobe from a news article commemorating their 65th wedding anniversary and Chester and Mary celebrating their 55th.

Awesome! Do you have John Wood (b. 1610) and his wife Mary Parmenter?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2019
Texas
✟46,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Several of my Irish ancestors on my dad's side arrived in America on St. Patrick's Day of 1847.
  • My great-grandmother's first cousin once removed was deaf.
  • One of my great-grandmother's (specifically my father's maternal grandmother) great-grandfather fought in the Civil War, took a cannonball to the leg, and died because he refused to let the surgeons operate on him. (Frankly, being squeamish as I am and knowing what I know about Civil War army hospitals, I can't say I blame him for that.)
I took a DNA test a few years ago. Mostly it confirmed what I already knew; Family lore purported us to be Irish, Scottish, Cajun, Spanish, and English, and my DNA test results came back as such. But they did confirm that I do have some distant Native American ancestry (1%). My mom's relatives have said that for years, but many American families do, and I didn't know how true it was. It's pretty cool to know there's something to those claims.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What are some of the things that you've learned in your research? Is there anything that you regret finding out?

If you've taken a DNA test, has it led to new information and connections?

Some things I've found out during my research is I've got different men in my ancestry that were in WW1, WW2, Civil War, etc and the most interesting thing is I found out on my Dad's side, my Great Grandfather x 5 was from Dublin Ireland. :clap: Which is really cool I think.

Some interesting things I found out were the man from Ireland possibly married a Native American woman, this goes back and forth in research, some people discredit her and say she wasn't Native American, some documents say she was, some say she was half, so I don't know for sure.

I've never taken a DNA test, I would be interested in doing so though just to see what it says about me. I want to know the small percentages of my DNA.

The newest info I found out is I found some "long lost cousins" I had no clue about and I feel like I have a whole new family, there are SO many of them and they've been here all a long and I didn't even know it. lol

Lastly what I REALLY want to find out is if there is anyone related to me (and yes I know it would probably be really distant but still!) that lives in Ireland.

Upvote 0