• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genealogical discoveries

Discussion in 'History & Genealogy' started by Cearbhall, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cearbhall

Cearbhall Unitarian Universalist

+5,633
    United States
    Other Religion
    Single
    What are some of the things that you've learned in your research? Is there anything that you regret finding out?

If you've taken a DNA test, has it led to new information and connections?

2. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+1,045
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I've never done any genelogical reasearch, but my aunt did anddiscovered that her grandmother had not married her grandfather. At least no record of a marrage could be found.
    This was kept very quirt untill my aunts mother died, she would have been horrified.

3. Tohu va bohu

Tohu va bohu New Member

+13
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Well, I discovered that I’m a direct descendant of Odin, and of Audumbla, the Norse cosmic cow of creation, and of the family of Jesus (both by way of King Arthur and by the secret Holy Grail/Templar genealogy that Dan Brown made famous), and I forget how many more. But I suspect that some of those internet family trees might not be entirely reliable.

4. Quid est Veritas?

Quid est Veritas? In Memoriam to CS Lewis

+3,788
    Protestant
    Married
    I have been following up my family, trying to trace out all the various family lines back to when they came to South Africa. My grandmother started this process, poring through baptismal records and death notices and such.

She did this during the height of Apartheid, so every time she found a non-white ancestor, she summarily stopped or fudged a good European one. So now I have a good framework, but I have to check her work and correct and extend it.

The first generations of Europeans that came to South Africa married their freedwomen or the daughters of slaves. Phenotypically I look white, but I have Bengali, other Indian, Malay, Timorese, Angolan, Malagasy, Khoisan and even one Chinese ancestor in addition to my Dutch, German, French, English, Scottish, Italian, Portuguese and Danish ones. It can be quite strange, although the vast majority of my ancestry lies with the French, Germans and Dutch.

I found an ancestor called Maria Kickers who had four sons. Her husband then claimed they were all another man's and a big divorce case followed. Eventually she admitted they were another other man, Friedrich Botha's children, but people in the case testified she had other affairs.
    With modern genetic evidence, one of the four Botha boys turns out to be another man's child - Ferdinand Appel. For 300 years a quarter of the Bothas weren't really Botha. I am descended from fake and true Bothas myself.

5. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+4,205
    Christian
    Most of mine has been done in pieces. I did learn from my grandmother's research that her side came over on the Welcome with William Penn....and there is a cool relative that used to smuggle things like medicine from the North to the Confederate soldiers by quilting them into her skirt. Though is sounds like she was popular enough on both sides that no one really tried to stop her.

I did do my husband's family and learned a whole lot about Southern history. He had two immediate relatives that fought for Texas' freedom in the Battle of San Jacinto, multiple relatives who were Confederate soldiers, a governor of Texas, and had multiple college educated women in his family in the late 1700s & early 1800s in Georgia. It also appears that he has relatives who were part of the later settlers at Jamestown though I was using someone else's research and need to verify that a bit better sometime.

6. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+2,005
    Christian
    Married
    For what it's worth, a lot of records can't be found. It doesn't necessarily mean the event didn't occur, only that a record of it has not been located. In New Jersey, for example, parents weren't required to register the birth of their children prior to about 1885.

7. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ

+3,732
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    The brother of one second great-grandmother was murdered and on another line, my second great-grandfather was put in prison for spousal abuse and adultery, and died in prison from a staph infection. One ancestor was accused and aquitted of witchcraft but two of her sisters were found guilty and hung in Salem.

Another ancestor came over on the Mayflower. My Crawford line supposedly descends from Robert the Bruce, but I no longer trust the accuracy of research that goes back that far.

8. jmldn2

jmldn2 Newbie Supporter

+44
    United States
    Methodist
    Married

9. jmldn2

jmldn2 Newbie Supporter

+44
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    I love genealogy. I've been researching all 4 sides of my heritage since the 1970s. I have also taken the DNA test and found out I am as much Irish as I believed I was English. I have also met many people through my research and love it. I regret nothing I have found. Everything has contributed to my unique self.

10. JacquelineDeane55

JacquelineDeane55 Newbie

+647
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    About 15 years ago when I was 15, I did A LOT of genealogical research at my local library. I was just wanting to know so badly where I came from, what my family's past was.

But now I have lost interest.

Grandma tells me that Queen Mary of Scots was an ancestor of mine.

There is no longer a monarchy in Scotland, right? I don't know much about Scotland, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know!

11. jmldn2

jmldn2 Newbie Supporter

+44
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    Genealogy takes a lot of time and much, much patience. Lol. I don't have a lot of either. But I try and spend a bit of time each day to work on mine a bit.

12. USincognito

USincognito The Spite Reporters Win Supporter

+6,505
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    I had a lot of work done for me by my cousin 1x (my great aunt's daughter), my aunt and my father. I had a lot of the basics in 2001, but let it sit aside until 2 years ago when I took an Ancestry DNA test. It turns out my father was my grandfather's only child with my grandmother and my aunt was trying to find her and my uncle's real father. I was the control subject. My uncle found a long lost half-sister a year before he died.

For myself I discovered that my "orphaned" paternal great-grandfather was actually descended from some fairly prominent families in the North Shore of Massachusetts and one of his (and my) ancestors was Roger Conant who founded Salem, Mass.

Speaking of Salem, I am descended directly from witch hysteria victims Susannah North Martin and Mary Towne Easty and John and Elizabeth Proctor were my great-aunt and uncle. Trial juror John Dane was my 8th great-grandfather.

I recently discovered that I have two "proven" royal gateway ancestors Thomas Nelson and Olive Welby Farwell.

13. jmldn2

jmldn2 Newbie Supporter

+44
    United States
    Methodist
    Married

Genealogy is wonderful. You learn just enough sometimes to give you that desire to continue on and on and on. I have royalty as well as some "commoners" in my history.