✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
woobadooba said:
This is what Jack Sequeira would have you to believe. But what would Paul prefer that you believe?

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Rom. 10:9

Notice that the confession must come before salvation can be effected.

In other words, a person isn't saved until he repents, and thus turns his life over to God.

But then again, people really won't be saved until Jesus comes.

This is why Jesus said, "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." Matt. 24:13

But we can have assurance of salvation:

1 John 5:11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Although we do not yet have the ultimate fufillment of the promise of eternal life (which will happen when Jesus comes), we do have the guarantee of it now:

Ephesians 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory.

This does not mean that we cannot fall away from God, but as long as we remain faithful to Him, we have assurance of salvation. Thus, I believe that we are really saved before Jesus comes.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sophia7 said:
But we can have assurance of salvation:

Although we do not yet have the ultimate fufillment of the promise of eternal life (which will happen when Jesus comes), we do have the guarantee of it now:

This does not mean that we cannot fall away from God, but as long as we remain faithful to Him, we have assurance of salvation. Thus, I believe that we are really saved before Jesus comes.

Saved from what?

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
woobadooba said:
Saved from what?

Well, what did you mean by saved when you made the following statement?

woobadooba said:
In other words, a person isn't saved until he repents, and thus turns his life over to God.

I agree with that sentence, but then you contradicted yourself by saying that we are not actually saved when we turn our lives over to God.

Here is what I mean by saved. I quoted these texts before, but I don't know how I could explain it any better than this:

1 John 5:11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Ephesians 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sophia7 said:
Well, what did you mean by saved when you made the following statement?

I agree with that sentence, but then you contradicted yourself by saying that we are not actually saved when we turn our lives over to God.

Here is what I mean by saved. I quoted these texts before, but I don't know how I could explain it any better than this:

I didn't contradict myself.

You can say you are saved now, but only in the sense that you are saved from the guilt of sin, and in the sense that you are holding on to a promise that will come to fruition in the lives of those who meet the conditions that are attached to it.

But as for the power and nature of sin, you are not saved, and won't be until you are thus completely sanctified and glorified. This will not happen until Jesus returns. But when He does return you will either be translated or resurrected unto a new life--eternal life. When this happens the power and nature of sin will no longer have any bearing on your life. You will be completely free from sin.

There would be no sense in Jesus saying "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved" Matt. 24:13, if we were already completely saved.

Notice how the verse says, "shall be saved"; but it doesn't say "is saved". There is something more to this sin problem that you and Stormy are not addressing.

And the verses that you quoted which state that we have eternal life are not to be interpreted as though we really have eternal life. If this were the case we wouldn't die. Instead they are meant to inform us that God is true to His word; and that if we endure unto the end, just like Jesus said, we will most assuredly receive the promise of God, which assures us of eternal life.

It would be best to interpret those texts within the context of a promise, rather than to take them literally, as though we already have eternal life, and are thus saved from the sin problem--the guilt, power, and nature of sin.

Upvote 0