I believe this is how to become like Jesus.

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John chapter 1 verse 1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John chapter 1 verse 14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Luke chapter 6 verse 40
A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.
Matthew chapter 23 verse 10
And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.
John chapter 8 verse 31,32
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

I switched from NIV to NEW KJV and old KJV because they changed the NIV many years ago, to make the bible less gay friendly, I don't know why, unless you have a translation from 2001.

I don't think I've become like Christ yet, but I've read the bible or listened to it over 200 times maybe over 300 times, I've lost count, The year before covid I listened to the bible 20 times. I've been studying the bible since 1982, and study it about 2 hours every morning, and in the afternoon, I play hymns on harmonica on tic tok.

Reactions: Vambram

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
John chapter 1 verse 1
John chapter 1 verse 14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Luke chapter 6 verse 40
A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

I switched from NIV to NEW KJV and old KJV because they changed the NIV many years ago, to make the bible less gay friendly, I don't know why, unless you have a translation from 2001.

I don't think I've become like Christ yet, but I've read the bible or listened to it over 200 times maybe over 300 times, I've lost count, The year before covid I listened to the bible 20 times. I've been studying the bible since 1982, and study it about 2 hours every morning, and in the afternoon, I play hymns on harmonica on tic tok.
They changed the NIV to make it MORE 'gay friendly', not less. Maybe that's what you meant to say?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be more like Christ . . . I need this. This is discovered, how God changes our character.

He makes us humble.

And being humble includes we love any and all people. We do not look down on anyone.

But love has us condemning sin. And Jesus on the cross did not discriminate against anyone by saying they did not need Him to die for them.

So, it is a hate crime to say Jesus on the cross is not for gays: they need to be forgiven the same as anyone else. We all were born in sin, all born wrong. So, to say gays don't need Jesus to forgive them is discrimination, a hate crime.

We all are born wrong, and God is able to correct us of any sin problem. So, part of being Christ-like is we have hope for any sinner to be saved and cured of any sin problems > love "hopes all things" (1 Corinthians 13:7).

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But love has us condemning sin.
Romans chapter 3 verse 20
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

Galatians chapter 2 verse 21
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John chapter 1 verse 1
John chapter 1 verse 14
Luke chapter 6 verse 40
Are you having trouble with someone's teaching? Who, and what topic? I hope you will be a careful teacher here.

That's great!

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It used to say teacher now it says this.

Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah.
I've always preferred the NKJV. I agree with Com7 love the person but not the sin.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus says,

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

So, Jeaus is "gentle and lowly in heart". Being like Jesus, then, includes being gentle and lowly in our heart.

And if Jesus gives us rest for our souls, we are like Him and love like Jesus, by supporting people to do things with rest for their souls.

Reactions: Derf
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus says,

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

So, Jeaus is "gentle and lowly in heart". Being like Jesus, then, includes being gentle and lowly in our heart.

And if Jesus gives us rest for our souls, we are like Him and love like Jesus, by supporting people to do things with rest for their souls.
Is that the end of discussion on the matter? Is that all Jesus was like?

And, more, how do you make the logical jump, that being like Jesus implies supporting people to do things producing rest for their souls? Particularly, when we are so willing to take cheap substitutes for temporary rest, rather than the lasting rest, that the TRUTH produces?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
John chapter 1 verse 1
John chapter 1 verse 14
Luke chapter 6 verse 40

The only way to attain a character trait is through faith that we ought to be a doer of that trait, so we he way to believe in the God of Israel is through faith that we ought to be a doer of His character traits. For example, the way to believe that God is just is by being a doer of justice, so the way that we live testifies about who we believe that God is. Our good works testify about God’s goodness, which is why they give glory to Him (Matthew 5:16), and by testifying about God’s goodness we are also expressing the belief that God is good. Jesus is the exact image of God’s character (Hebrews 1:3), which he expressed through setting a sinless example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law, so the way to be like him is by having faith in his character as being the model for how we ought to live by following his example. In Psalms 119:142, the Mosaic Law is truth, and in John 8:31-36, it is sin in transgression of the Mosaic Law that puts us in bandage while it is the truth that sets us free, so obedience to it is the way to believe the truth. In other words, obedience to God’s word is the way to believe in and become like God’s word made flesh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
it is sin in transgression of the Mosaic Law that puts us in bandage while it is the truth that sets us free, so obedience to it is the way to believe the truth. In other words
1 John chapter 1 verse 8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

James chapter 2 verse 10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Galatians chapter 5 verse 4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Galatians chapter 4
21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
shout for joy and cry aloud,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband.”[e]
28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”[f] 31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.

Galatians 3 verse 17
What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.

(The law introduced 2000 years later also doesn't do away with the promise. )

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is that the end of discussion on the matter? Is that all Jesus was like?

And, more, how do you make the logical jump, that being like Jesus implies supporting people to do things producing rest for their souls? Particularly, when we are so willing to take cheap substitutes for temporary rest, rather than the lasting rest, that the TRUTH produces?
There is always more to learn. I am offering just one thing.

It means the rest which Jesus gives, that we support people to gain and live in. For example, by not arguing we encourage people to submit to Jesus, instead. And support people to submit to Jesus in His yoke, instead of doing workaholic ministering with its burnout and stress-out.

Support, here, means ministering and encouraging people to submit to Christ in His yoke. It does not mean to pay lazy people's way.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1 John chapter 1 verse 8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
I did not claim to be without sin.

James chapter 2 verse 10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
If we break any law and become a lawbreaker, then we need to repent and return to obedience to the Mosaic Law in accordance with what James was encouraging them to do.

Indeed, it is by the Mosaic Law that we have knowledge of sin and we should refrain from doing what God has revealed to be sin.

I did not claim that we gain our righteousness as the result of obeying the Mosaic Law, but rather I said that the only way to attain a character trait is through faith that we ought to be a doer of that trait. The fact that we do not earn our righteousness as the result of obeying God does not mean that we are not obligated to obey what He has commanded. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20), while returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is also the way to reject what he died for.

Galatians chapter 5 verse 4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.
All throughout the Bible, God wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to the Mosaic Law and even Christ began his ministry with that Gospel message, so it would be absurd to interpret Galatians 5:4 as Paul warning us against obeying God and saying that we will be cut off from Christ if we follow Christ.

Galatians chapter 4
21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
shout for joy and cry aloud,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband.”[e]
28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”[f] 31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
If God freed the Israelites out of bondage in Egypt in order to put them under bondage to the Mosaic Law, then it would be for bondage that God sets us free, but Galatians 5:1 says that it is for freedom that God sets us free, which undermines interpreting this passage as saying that God's law is bondage. Moreover, the Mosaic Law came through the line of the free woman, not the line of the slave woman. Again, in Psalms 119:142, God's law is truth, and in John 8:31-36, it is sin in transgression of the Mosaic Law that puts us in bondage while it is the truth that sets us free.

Galatians 3 verse 17
What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.

(The law introduced 2000 years later also doesn't do away with the promise. )
Indeed, the New Covenant also does not do away with our need to obey the Mosaic Law in connection with the promise. In Genesis 18:19, God knew Abraham that he would teach his children and those of his household to walk in His way by doing righteousness and justice that the Lord may bring to him all that He has promised. In Genesis 26:4-5, God will multiply Abraham's children as the starts in the heaven, to His children He will give all of these lands, and through his children all of the nations of the earth will be blessed. In Deuteronomy 30:16, if the children of Abraham will love God with all of their hearts by walking in His way in obedience to His commandments, statutes, and laws, then they will live and multiply and God will bless them in the land that they go to possess, so the promise was made to Abraham and brought about because he walked in God's way in obedience to His law, he taught His children and those of his household to do that, and because they did that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
There is always more to learn. I am offering just one thing.

It means the rest which Jesus gives, that we support people to gain and live in. For example, by not arguing we encourage people to submit to Jesus, instead. And support people to submit to Jesus in His yoke, instead of doing workaholic ministering with its burnout and stress-out.

Support, here, means ministering and encouraging people to submit to Christ in His yoke. It does not mean to pay lazy people's way.
My apologies. I expect I jumped at the opportunity to climb up onto my soapbox. I am "sick unto death" of the seductive 'feel good' mindset concerning God, in all its various applications. God is not tame. Life is not easy. This life is not for this life. There are people whose whole way of reading scripture is about the notion that God put us here for whatever present happiness can be had.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, the New Covenant also does not do away with our need to obey the Mosaic Law in connection with the promise
Matthew chapter 9 verse 13
But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

1 John chapter 2 verse 2
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

James chapter 2 verse 13
because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does not mean to pay lazy people's way.
I assume you're from America, let me show you something, if someone goes on welfare and studies the bible it's justified, if you like it or not, I'm not on welfare though.

Habakkuk chapter 2 verse 13
Has not the LORD Almighty determined that the people’s labor is only fuel for the fire, that the nations exhaust themselves for nothing?

Luke chapter 10
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Matthew chapter 9 verse 13
But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

1 John chapter 2 verse 2
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

James chapter 2 verse 13
because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
I agree with those verses and have not said anything contrary to them. People can have different understandings of the same verse and I can’t read your mind, so it helps if you give an explanation for why you are quoting a verse and how it relates to what I’ve said.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People can have different understandings of the same verse
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

If Jesus was preaching law, he would have stoned this woman.

John chapter 8 verse 7
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

Jesus is the only person who has ever lived that didn't sin.

Upvote 0