Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I used to believe that the only thing that would galvanize a person against God enough for them to be willing to forfeit their soul, was to fall in love with money. I now have come to find that there is another thing. That thing being the power of propaganda or false teaching . I had never realized just how powerful it was until about the last 10 years. I have tried to figure out how it entraps a person's psyche to the point of anti-God. I have so far found that it has something to do with stoking a person's pride to the point that they care nothing of the objective truth of a subject or the facts pointing to the truth. This may be why Christians still think the Bible teaches about homosexuality and still think that interventional evolution was not applied to creation.
And so many wonder why churches are dying out.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So you really think the issue is "attraction?"
In terms of membership numbers, yes. I’ve seen a good case that Christianity was a really attractive way to live in the Roman Empire. Both then and today, it appears that the most effective evangelism is when people around us see something they don’t see elsewhere.

For 16 centuries it wasn’t necessary. Christianity was the default. You neede a reason to not be Christian. Today it’s like the first few centuries. You need a reason to be a Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve thought a lot about the impact of this issue on public perceptions of Christianity. It’s a problem, but I don’t think it’s so critical. Liberal churches aren’t doing any better.

The real problem is that we aren’t presenting anything that would attract people unless you are already part of what I’ll call traditional culture. There are plenty of parts of the world, and the US, that still are. But it’s decreasing, and probably won’t come back (though there’s plenty of dystopian fiction that imagines a future where the right wing wins — I don’t know of any visions of the future where a right-wing win is credibly portrayed as a good thing). The problem isn’t so much that the world thinks Christians hate gays, as that the world doesn’t think Christianity has anything to offer. Attitudes to homosexuality are just part of a broader picture.

For that reason I’m always skeptical of these posts that say we’ve got to start treating gays better if we’re going to be persuasive. We do, but that’s only one part of the picture. And for the moment conservative Christianity is most attractive to people that are still part of traditional culture. Those people would probably prefer rejecting gays and trans. Going beyond that culture is a problem none of us, liberal or conservative, are doing very well. Liberal Christianity hasn't done very well at making a case that it's better than enlightened humanism.
Yeah, you're definitely right. It's also partially because the loudest apologetics are done with a distinct anti-intellectual flavor that makes people feel like they have to turn their brains off to accept Christ.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, you're definitely right. It's also partially because the loudest apologetics are done with a distinct anti-intellectual flavor that makes people feel like they have to turn their brains off to accept Christ.
It’s not strictly speaking anti intellectual. Many conservatives are quite intellectual. They just don’t accept mainstream science and scholarship.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not strictly speaking anti intellectual. Many conservatives are quite intellectual. They just don’t accept mainstream science and scholarship.
I agree to an extent, but "gotcha" apologetics often stains any possibility of engaging in rational discussion across the lanes. Though, of course, the fault is not entirely on the side of Christians as a lot of outspoken anti-theists routinely goad and go after low hanging fruit.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to believe that the only thing that would galvanize a person against God enough for them to be willing to forfeit their soul, was to fall in love with money. I now have come to find that there is another thing. That thing being the power of propaganda or false teaching . I had never realized just how powerful it was until about the last 10 years. I have tried to figure out how it entraps a person's psyche to the point of anti-God. I have so far found that it has something to do with stoking a person's pride to the point that they care nothing of the objective truth of a subject or the facts pointing to the truth. This may be why Christians still think the Bible teaches about homosexuality and still think that interventional evolution was not applied to creation.
And so many wonder why churches are dying out.
You don't think Romans 1:26-27 are pretty clear?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you're being evasive.
I don't think so . . . would you rather I added to the text?

I can elaborate on the point if you like. Homosexual sex is described as
lust, impurity, dishonoring the body, dishonorable passions, exchanging natural relations for unnatural, men giving up natual relations with women, consumed with passion for one another, committing shameful acts with men and receiving within themselves the penalty for their erroneous moral path.

All of it being God's judgment on their refusal to acknowledge, glorify and thank God for his earthly provision.

That's the best I can do.
You can do better?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don;'think so . . . would you rather I added to the text?
I'm over it.

I don't think I'll be getting a sincere, full and complete, honest answer from you about what you think and why you think it.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm over it.

I don't think I'll be getting a sincere, full and complete, honest answer from you about
what you think and why you think it.
And you know this, how?

I'm not getting it. .what more do you want me to say? Is the Scripture not enough for you?
Is there a problem with my thinking what Scripture thinks?

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You don't think Romans 1:26-27 are pretty clear?
What do you think it means?
It means what it states. What does it state?
What do you think it means?
It states the immorality of homosexual sex
that's your answer?? nothing else. ??
That's what it states, do you want me to make up something else?
I think you're being evasive.

I think you're trying to be clever and difficult instead of forthright.
I don't think so . . . would you rather I added to the text?

This has been difficult and I haven't much to show for the work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare73 said:
It means what it states. What does it state?

I can elaborate on the point if you like. Homosexual sex is described as
lust, impurity, dishonoring the body, dishonorable passions, exchanging natural relations for unnatural, men giving up natual relations with women, consumed with passion for one another, committing shameful acts with men and receiving within themselves the penalty for their erroneous moral path.

All of it being God's judgment on their refusal to acknowledge, glorify and thank God for his earthly provision.

That's the best I can do.
You can do better?
This has been difficult and I haven't much to show for the work.
You've lost me. . .I have no idea what you mean.

However, noting that you did not answer my question above, it appears to me you are the one not being clear.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You've lost me. . .I have no idea what you mean.

However, noting that you did not answer my question above, it appears to me you are the one not being clear.
As I say - I'm over it.

Upvote 0