Friend's visa expired; what should she do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Brethren,
I thought I'd pass this on to you, just to see if anyone has any input. My friend's visa expired and she was told that her only option is to marry someone or she will be put in jail and deported. This doesn't sound right to me. Does she have any options here?

Thank you in advance.

Blessings,

-Davide

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This happened to my advisor last year. He reapplied for his visa, flew to Vancouver, British Columbia for literally about three hours, then flew back and re-entered the country on his new visa.

A legitimate marriage to an American citizen is certainly an option to solve your visa problems permanently, but the INS tends to frown upon marriages of convenience (cf. the movie "Green Card")

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
RS,

I work in travel so I would agree with what is posted above. Normally (though it depends on nationality) one has to extend their visa from the country of origin, so they would have to travel home (which they can without problems from the US) and request the extension or reapply with the US consulate or embassy in that country.

She certainly can get deported whether a student or work visa. That is correct. Technically if immigration is current on her status (that the visa has been extended or that she has left the country) they will come and get her.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
ok thank you for the replies everyone. She was under the impression that the re-application process can take a few years, but from what people have said here, it may only be a matter of weeks. This is much better news, and i'll be sure to pass it on to her.

And by the way, marriage is of course out of the question for her since, being Catholic, she doesn't believe in divorce.

Thank you everyone.

blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.