I could use some prayers from my friends here...

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's hard to explain this in a short post but basically my wife's come to me and asked me to pray about the possibility, or rather likelihood that her parents might give us their house. They just paid it off and apparently that was the last hurdle between her dad and retirement, supposedly their plan after that is her parents would retire to Ecuador where they have another home.

The problem is the house is a money pit, and you all know how badly I've wanted to move back to California since I set foot on east coast soil two years ago. I can see the benefits and drawbacks of both scenarios. She's asking me to pray about it so we don't ignore a lifeline God might be throwing us, but I'm afraid I can't be objective and if that God tells us to stay I may ignore or dismiss that.

I'm just completely convinced that moving to California isn't just what I want but it would also be good for my family. In some ways it'd be an "eat your vegetables" experience but in others I think there's real potential to be happy there and most importantly: grow in the faith. If we stay in NY we could be stuck with a house that's a huge liability, her dad's done a bunch of work on the house but it's not permitted, and as you might know towns in NY highly regulate everything - apparently the town already has an open file on the place because some neighbors narc'd on them years ago. The house may need new wiring, plumbing, and a septic tank at least. So we'd have to take out a small mortgage or a home equity loan to pay for those expenses. On top of that, my wife has expressed multiple times that she doesn't want to stay in her hometown longterm because she has bad memories on every corner and she thinks her family overall is a negative influence on her and the kids.

While it would be great to have a free house, I just don't think NY is a good place for my family to be. But I could use your help objectively seeking an answer from God about what to do because I don't trust myself to be honest if he tells me we need to stay.

So if you wouldn't mind praying, I'd appreciate it. And please, if you have any advice feel free to give.

Thanks

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private