pray about tongues

Eishiba

Dec 15, 2011
✟15,450.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I go to a church that is one of those spirit filled churches At this church they speak in tongues and I have always felt I wasnt going to ever speak in tongues. Then the pastor asked if I wanted to speak in tongues and I said yes. He then says to let me tongue flow and I kind of uttered what felt like random speech. Later that day I asked a friend who spoke in tongues if she knew what she was saying when she prayed in tongues because I dont feel like I was downloaded with any foreign language. She said most of the times she didnt know what she was saying either. When I pray this way I do feel something different but I still feel like I am saying random speech. I told her I wasnt even sure if I was really speaking in tongues and that I dont want to be trying to speak in tongues when I cant before the Lord. She said the enemy likes to put doubt. I would like prayer about this. Im scared to the point of wanting to abandon this tongues thing. I would rather get to heaven and hear "Why did you stop? You were really speaking in tongues" rather than "Why were you trying to do something before me that I didnt give you the gift of?" Should I stop? Should I keep going? Please pray for me.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
So I go to a church that is one of those spirit filled churches At this church they speak in tongues and I have always felt I wasnt going to ever speak in tongues. Then the pastor asked if I wanted to speak in tongues and I said yes. He then says to let me tongue flow and I kind of uttered what felt like random speech. Later that day I asked a friend who spoke in tongues if she knew what she was saying when she prayed in tongues because I dont feel like I was downloaded with any foreign language. She said most of the times she didnt know what she was saying either. When I pray this way I do feel something different but I still feel like I am saying random speech. I told her I wasnt even sure if I was really speaking in tongues and that I dont want to be trying to speak in tongues when I cant before the Lord. She said the enemy likes to put doubt. I would like prayer about this. Im scared to the point of wanting to abandon this tongues thing. I would rather get to heaven and hear "Why did you stop? You were really speaking in tongues" rather than "Why were you trying to do something before me that I didnt give you the gift of?" Should I stop? Should I keep going? Please pray for me.
I am attaching a few earlier posts I did on tongues that may be beneficial to you.

The first one lists the 12 benefits of speaking in tongues

The second one Manifestation not Gift goes through 1Co 12:1-7 & 11

The third one deals with interpretation of tongues and prophecy ...but also deals with the how of Speaking in tongues… if you drop down to about a quarter of the way to the headline → The How it is a good place to start.

12 Benefits of Tongues

Manifestation not Gift

How to

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 14:2
NASB 1995
“For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.”

Of course, there is a kind of tongues that was seen in the book of Acts where people started speaking in foreign languages that they did not know.

But as you can see in the verse above, there’s also a kind of tongues that nobody understands. If nobody understands, then it can’t be used with a foreigner anybody else.

As the Bible says, in that kind of tongues, we are speaking to the Lord.

I pray you will be led to wisdom in this area.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
List of Biblical purposes for tongues includes:
-Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
-Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
-Warfare language - Tongues directly aimed at demonic strongholds
-Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
-Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
-Praise language - Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues
-Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not learned by the speaker). (Saint Steven gave permission to use this basic list.).

There's diversities of tongues (I Cor 12).

There's over 6500 languages and some are unusual including clicking sounds. But God isn't limited to those.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We receive tongues based on John 7:38, ““He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.” When we receive tongues, it flows from the belly. “Water here is the Holy Spirit. No man can say speak in tongues and then it’s done unless the Holy Spirit is in charge at that time.

My experience was first I didn’t want to speak in tongues either but that evening while alone, the Holy Spirit overflowed me. I felt something rising from my belly, which frightened me. It traveled up to my throat and was pushing to come out. I then spoke in an unknown language that sounded like a foreign language. Along with the speaking in tongues was tears flowing uncontrollably for several months.

That was my experience. Someone else told me he also felt tongues rise from his feet to his belly up to his throat then out of his mouth, he then spoke in an unknown language.

I was told that when we receive the gift of tongues, we will always be able to speak in tongues whenever we want to and need to. I have found that to be true.

We can’t just give ourselves tongues. It is a “gift” given by the Holy Spirit (as tongues belongs to the Holy Spirit) and at the point of receiving, we experience the power of the Holy Spirit flowing through us, and out of our belly shall flow rivers of living water,” based on John 7:38.

The gift of tongues edifies us with power to overcome as we pray in tongues.

I pray God give you revelation and understanding, and true manifestation of tongues, and permit you to experience His power through His wonderful gift of tongues by His Spirit.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We receive tongues based on John 7:38, ““He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.” When we receive tongues, it flows from the belly. “Water here is the Holy Spirit. No man can say speak in tongues and then it’s done unless the Holy Spirit is in charge at that time.

My experience was first I didn’t want to speak in tongues either but that evening while alone, the Holy Spirit overflowed me. I felt something rising from my belly, which frightened me. It traveled up to my throat and was pushing to come out. I then spoke in an unknown language that sounded like a foreign language. Along with the speaking in tongues was tears flowing uncontrollably for several months.

That was my experience. Someone else told me he also felt tongues rise from his feet to his belly up to his throat then out of his mouth, he then spoke in an unknown language.

I was told that when we receive the gift of tongues, we will always be able to speak in tongues whenever we want to and need to. I have found that to be true.

We can’t just give ourselves tongues. It is a “gift” given by the Holy Spirit (as tongues belongs to the Holy Spirit) and at the point of receiving, we experience the power of the Holy Spirit flowing through us, and out of our belly shall flow rivers of living water,” based on John 7:38.

The gift of tongues edifies us with power to overcome as we pray in tongues.

I pray God give you revelation and understanding, and true manifestation of tongues, and permit you to experience His power through His wonderful gift of tongues by His Spirit.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been praying in tongues for 52 years.
Just thought I would throw this in.

1 Corinthians 14:14 KJV
14. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

What is praying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brodav9@thicket

Feb 2, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
✟26,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is very important that you have the baptism of the Holy Spirit first. Then it is by faith --(no doubt or unbelief)tongues. when you release your tongue . many talked in tongues for hours, so best be alone. After the initial creation of noises ( like a baby does) You will know God's anointing and his involvement. It is a growth and a daily if possible praying in tongues. Rom.10:17 faith comes by?

Upvote 0

Berserk

Oct 15, 2011
✟44,678.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
So I go to a church that is one of those spirit filled churches At this church they speak in tongues and I have always felt I wasnt going to ever speak in tongues. Then the pastor asked if I wanted to speak in tongues and I said yes. He then says to let me tongue flow and I kind of uttered what felt like random speech...Im scared to the point of wanting to abandon this tongues thing. I would rather get to heaven and hear "Why did you stop? You were really speaking in tongues" rather than "Why were you trying to do something before me that I didnt give you the gift of?" Should I stop? Should I keep going? Please pray for me.
The pastor unwittinly encouraged you speak in the flesh, not in the Spirit. You can't TRY to speak in tongues. It is a grace bestowed that feels like a loving ambush by God when you are lost in praise, seeking Him. You must first intensify your longing for more of the Spirit. Then as your affections intensify and your words seem inadequate to express the surging joy you feel, you will be unexpectedly enveloped by a heavenly warmth or breeze that fills the void created by your sense of the inadequacy of your words to express the adoration you feel and you will just explode in other tongues. So after you ask God for the gift of tongues, just seek the Giver, and not the gift.

When that happened to me after a long frustrating prayer vigil preceded by fasting, I felt a breeze and was suddenly enveloped by wave after wave of liquid love surging through m being, each wave more intense than the last, until I feared my puny mind would be absorbed in God mind. A spectator later told me she was staring at me because my face was glowing in the darkening amphitheater where this outpouring happened. This was by far the happiest day of my life. The experience so transformed my mind that my academic performance was drastically upgraded as a result and I got a Harvard doctorate in New Testament and Judaism.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is a series of Scriptural steps to receive anything from God according to His will.

1. You have to believe that the ability to pray in tongues is God's will for you. Paul makes that quite clear when he said, "I would that you all speak with tongues". Seeing that he said that under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, we can get a good indication of whether it is God's will or not. However, the ministry gift of public tongues that needs interpretation may not be God's will for you because Paul asked, "Do all speak with tongues?" [as a public ministry].

2. You need to ask God for the ability. Phil 4:5-6 says, "Everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving make your requests known to God." and, "If you ask for anything according to God's will for you, you will receive it."

3. You need to say to God, "I now receive the ability to pray in tongues." This is supported by "He who asks, receives." This means that as soon as you ask, God hands it out to you. Then, by faith, you "take" it out of God's hands by saying, "I receive it."

4. Believe you now have it and are able to pray in tongues. To prove it, start trying to make up a language you have never learned. It may be hesitant at first, because you are doing what you can to "prime the pump", but the Holy Spirit will honour your faith and before long you will be speaking a fluent, expressive language that you are no longer conscious of making it up. The words will just come out of you. This is the action of the "rivers of living water" flowing out of you. Some object to the idea of making up a language, but I say, "How can you activate your faith by doing it any other way?" I sometimes get people to copy my tongue to give them the idea, and when I say, "Now speak without stopping", they come out with their own unique language. This has happened so many times, that I know that there is nothing wrong with priming their "pump" as long as when they speak by themselves, it is their own language and not mine. I don't accept that something like "ba ba shaba baba" is real tongues. I don't believe that the Holy Spirit gives baby talk. When He does flow out, it is an expressive, articulate, fluent language right from the start, and someone starting out should persevere in prayer and not be satisfied until that happens.

This is not teaching people how to speak in tongues. Only the Holy Spirit can bestow the ability. All I do is to guide the person through the Scriptural steps of asking and receiving. Once we know the will of God, we can ask confidently and expect to receive. This is not the heretical "naming and claiming", but it is asking and receiving in accordance with the will of God and the Scriptural steps to accomplish it.

I trust that this is helpful.

Upvote 0