Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Seems rather irrelevant to me. The point is that they MIGHT walk. Not guaranteed.
I disagree. He's talking about them being able to do something that they were incapable of doing before they were saved - but you would have to start reading from chapter 1 to see it - particularly chapter 3. Also Rom 6:17-18 shows the final result - the guarantee so to speak: "But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness."

No, he's making clear the choice we as believers all have. And he made it clear that it's a choice to whom we present ourselves to obey.
And the wrong choice ends in death - v16

iow, we choose to obey one of our 2 natures: the sin nature, or the new nature. That's his point. And that was Paul's struggle in ch 7.
Actually - the struggle is proof of genuine faith. We all do struggle. We all still sin - but we should be striving to live a sin free life as chapter 7 also indicates.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"That whosoever believes in Him might have eternal life."

By your logic believing is no guarantee of salvation. Are you sure you want to go there?
By what logic did the verse cited relate to the verse about believers "might walk"?

Upvote 0

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I disagree. He's talking about them being able to do something that they were incapable of doing before they were saved - but you would have to start reading from chapter 1 to see it - particularly chapter 3. Also Rom 6:17-18 shows the final result - the guarantee so to speak: "But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness."

Actually - the struggle is proof of genuine faith. We all do struggle. We all still sin - but we should be striving to live a sin free life as chapter 7 also indicates.
FG2 misapplies Greek verbs. Jesus said, "That whosoever believes in Him should not perish but might have eternal life." By FG2's own logic eternal life is not guaranteed to the one who believes.

Upvote 0

extraordinary

Newbie trainee
Jun 1, 2013
✟16,402.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The comment that says that God has hidden some truths that are "unpopular" are just plain laughable! ^_^
When did God become sensitive to what is "unpopular"?
Like I said, it's all way beyond you!
I'll just deal with only one point here.
The Lord desired as much of a civilized society as possible,
which is obviously more attainable if Christianity is popular,
i.e. if many THINK they are having a go @ heaven!

There are several somewhat hidden spiritual Truths in the NT ... for several reasons!

Like I said, it's all way too deep for you ... might just as well give it up.
Because anyone who can just ignore dozens of obvious Scriptures is in way over their head.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The verb "present" in v.16 is a present indicative, indicating current choices.

Right. Which type of death do you believe is in view here? Eternal, physical, temporal, or what?

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
FG2 misapplies Greek verbs. Jesus said, "That whosoever believes in Him should not perish but might have eternal life." By FG2's own logic eternal life is not guaranteed to the one who believes.

Thanks for the input - but I'll let the man speak for himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because he is giving instruction whereas Jesus was slapping Peter down.
Jesus taught by figurative language. There is no reason to think that John wasn't using figurative language for "effect". The point is: if he was speaking literally, then anyone who sins after believing in Christ "isn't of God".

Upvote 0

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
By what logic did the verse cited relate to the verse about believers "might walk"?
You are being evasive. The SAME verbs are employed regarding the possession of eternal life to those who believe.

"That whosoever believes in Him should not perish , but might have eternal life."

"That we might walk in the newness of life."

Once again you show that your arguments have no substance. If there is no guarantee that those who have died with Christ will walk in the newness of life, then BY YOUR OWN LOGIC there is no guarantee that those who believe in Christ will have eternal life.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON
Superman_Visor_Blue.jpg

Closed at OP request.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.