Fr. Seraphim Bell, Scotland & USA: "I became Orthodox for one reason: Obedience to the Truth" - Vid

WadeTheophan

Falling and getting up to fall again
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Houston Texas
✟89,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Fr. Seraphim Bell, Scotland & USA:

"I became Orthodox for one reason: Obedience to the Truth"
I’m sorry but obedience to the truth sounds like a horrible reason to become Orthodox. It sounds like a Protestant who changes churches because the new church got their theology correct in his current view.

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I’m sorry but obedience to the truth sounds like a horrible reason to become Orthodox. It sounds like a Protestant who changes churches because the new church got their theology correct in his current view.

I like his story so much! Every person has his own journey to the Truth.

Every person has his own story that he find the Truth.

His first reason was obedience to the Τruth. Then he believe with all his heart and be baptized and became Orthodox Priest.

God has many ways to lead a sincere heart to the 100% of Truth.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

obedience to truth is obedience to Christ, and therefore not relative

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I have to disagree with you here. :)

It was a search for "true worship" that lead me to a belief in the sacraments and out of the Baptist church I grew up in. Then it was a search for the "original church" that lead me out of Anglicanism and into Orthodoxy. God works with whatever material we give Him, poor as it was in my case. :)

Upvote 0

WadeTheophan

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Houston Texas
✟89,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to disagree with you here. :)

It was a search for "true worship" that lead me to a belief in the sacraments and out of the Baptist church I grew up in. Then it was a search for the "original church" that lead me out of Anglicanism and into Orthodoxy. God works with whatever material we give Him, poor as it was in my case. :)
True worship is a whole different thing than just “the truth”. I have known too many people who have sought a church that satisfies their own personal idea of the truth. I’m sorry to say they had developed their own concept of truth and were only interested in finding a church that met their requirements. Mary, like you, I came from the baptist church. It wasn’t a search for true worship that motivated me but a search for an explanation of a miracle I had seen. Whatever the reason for someone entering the Orthodox Church I couldn’t be more happy.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
True worship is a whole different thing than just “the truth”. I have known too many people who have sought a church that satisfies their own personal idea of the truth. I’m sorry to say they had developed their own concept of truth and were only interested in finding a church that met their requirements. Mary, like you, I came from the baptist church. It wasn’t a search for true worship that motivated me but a search for an explanation of a miracle I had seen. Whatever the reason for someone entering the Orthodox Church I couldn’t be more happy.

I see the distinction you are making now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mary of Bethany

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Whew, that was a close one. I hate being misunderstood but that sure doesn’t stop it from happening.

I see we are both Texans, both former Baptists now Orthodox. We should be able to understand each other perfectly! :-D

Upvote 0

WadeTheophan

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Houston Texas
✟89,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see we are both Texans, both former Baptists now Orthodox. We should be able to understand each other perfectly! :-D
Ha ha shucks, I don't even understand myself half the time that's why I have to pray. I do appreciate your optimism though. How about lunch....as long as your not in Amarillo. :bicyclist:

Upvote 0