Foru.ms - a new beginning and a fresh start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Hi everyone

Yes, as you can see, Christian Forums is now called Foru.ms, and the new web address is the same as the name, "foru.ms" - short, simple and to the point.

This name change has been suggested to me by several members and is in line with the recent changes to the direction of the website.

In summary:

Name:
Foru.ms

Slogan:
Forums-based Social Networking For You

Vision:
An online forums-based self-governing social networking community guided by Christian principles for everyone.

Mission:

1. To establish and grow a self-governing community that is open to everyone guided by rules driven by Christian principles which are collaboratively agreed upon by all members, keeping in mind:
Gal 5:22-23 GNT But the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these.

2. To provide a meeting place for Christians to fellowship with one another and outreach to non-Christians, keeping in mind:
2 Cor 5:17-18 GNT Anyone who is joined to Christ is a new being; the old is gone, the new has come. All this is done by God, who through Christ changed us from enemies into his friends and gave us the task of making others his friends also.

The above statements summarises the new direction and vision of the site.

What does it all mean?

1. It means that all members will be given the power to self-govern by collaboratively working together with coming up with the rules for this whole community, including voting for their own moderators.

2. It means that members who want their particular forums to have certain restrictions may do as this is part of self-governance. Sub-forums members will be able to develop their own rules and choose their own moderators.

3. It means that this site will be continue to be open to people from all backgrounds and give them the opportunity to interact.

From a practical point of view, everything should really function as before prior to the name and vision change, except that now we have a much broader vision and goal than before.

Thank you for all your patience. It's 12:30 am here now and I have an all-day medical conference tomorrow (yes, on Sunday) to attend so I need to sleep - I hope to check up on Foru.ms to ensure everything is going okay.

Feel free to discuss this change in this thread.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Axver

Dreaming on a railway track
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't know what to make of this. As someone who was very strongly in favour of the 07/07/07 changes, I don't believe that a name change was necessary. I felt Christian Forums was a very appropriate name - a forum for those who wish to discuss Christianity, whether Christian or interested in the religion for whatever reason. I did not believe that the name implied any "Christian only" exclusivity.

Well, I suppose I'll just wait and see how this pans out. I appreciate Erwin's dedication, even if I'm yet to be convinced this latest change is a good one.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I like the new name, it's interesting! :) And the recent changes made the site better than it ever was before. :)

Time for a new logo/banner contest.
That would be cool :)

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're absolutely right - the one up there right now is a temporary one I rehashed from an Easter 2006 competition.

I'll start a new thread straight away about that, and quickly go to bed!
Awesome. Thanks Erwin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.