Foru.ms - a new beginning and a fresh start (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Erwin, try witnessing in GA some. It will open your eyes, I think. I have challenged the Semper Folks to do so and some are saying it is futile.
Apologetics Challenge

drstevej

PS I plan to post there some. But it really is a skeptics den. It is not a seeker center.

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And when was the last time you led someone to Christ not using words?

Evangelists (i.e. Billy Graham Crusades) plants seed, not winning souls (even though they proclaim to be winning souls). I believed those who came forward were planted and on their way toward accepting the Holy Spirit's conviction to accept Christ.

Evangelism requires courtesy from each Christ's disciples and be Christ-like. Many have accepted Christ by watching Christians more than talking.The Best Evangelist is the Holy Spirit. We plant the seed and if we Christians are faithful in our "witnessing", the soil God has prepared will bear fruit. apostle Paul described the growth process: "I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth" (1 Cor. 3:6-7).

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Erwin, try witnessing in GA some. It will open your eyes, I think. I have challenged the Semper Folks to do so and some are saying it is futile.

drstevej

PS I plan to post there some. But it really is a skeptics den. It is not a seeker center.

Skeptics? Sure... there are those who are struggling and raising issues. God is working on them and they are here raising questions and testing us. :)

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Apologetics Challenge

drstevej

I totally agree - but the non-Christian members of overtly and obviously Christian sites tend to be a a group who actively seek to sign up to Christian sites with the main objective which is to debate and argue with Christians. Obviously not all of them are like this, but a lot of them would be - why else would a non-Christian join a Christian site.

However, if the site is not obviously Christian, and non-Christians are invited to join the site by Christian friends, then these non-Christians are more likely to be interested in fellowship and "social networking" rather than debating Christians. In time, it is hoped that we would have more non-Christians like these, and the Christian members can share the good news with such people. I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I totally agree - but the non-Christian members of overtly and obviously Christian sites tend to be a a group who actively seek to sign up to Christian sites with the main objective which is to debate and argue with Christians. Obviously not all of them are like this, but a lot of them would be - why else would a non-Christian join a Christian site.

However, if the site is not obviously Christian, and non-Christians are invited to join the site by Christian friends, then these non-Christians are more likely to be interested in fellowship and "social networking" rather than debating Christians. In time, it is hoped that we would have more non-Christians like these, and the Christian members can share the good news with such people. I hope that makes sense.

No, it doesn't, because of this:

Please address the issue of how new CHRISTIANS will find this site, and why they would ever want to join it if they did.

Many, many Christians came to this site through searching for Christian forums - you acknowledge that yourself in your FAQ. You also acknowledge that the site has lost many members since these changes, and after reading your responses you are very likely going to lose even more.

So how are new Christians, or any Christians at all, going to come here to participate in your Joel Osteen-ish outreach program? And if they don't come, and you're losing the Christians who are here already, who is going to be doing this outreach?

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Erwin, as I mentioned to you already, I would have done a few things differently, but I certainly respect your motives, goals, and the vast amount of effort you have put into this site. Given the new situation, I will do my best to contribute Christian love and peacemaking to this site. I hope others will do so, too -- whether or not we would have done the same thing in your place, we're still here because we care about the people and this community, and we have an opportunity to help shape this new direction.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Evangelists (i.e. Billy Graham Crusades) plants seed, not winning souls (even though they proclaim to be winning souls). I believed those who came forward were planted and on their way toward accepting the Holy Spirit's conviction to accept Christ.

Evangelism requires courtesy from each Christ's disciples and be Christ-like. Many have accepted Christ by watching Christians more than talking.The Best Evangelist is the Holy Spirit. We plant the seed and if we Christians are faithful in our "witnessing", the soil God has prepared will bear fruit. apostle Paul described the growth process: "I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth" (1 Cor. 3:6-7).
Again I have not argued that it isn't the Holy Spirit. You go on discipling I will go on preaching the Gospel. Unfortunately I won't be allowed to do so here. No matter I am surrounded by non-Christians in real life.

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ok, I have a genuine question, then. Let's say we give it some time and it doesn't work out that way. Let's say it just bcomes more and more non-Christian in terms of member make-up (essentially MySpace-y), what happens then?

Basically, do you have a contingency plan in case it doesn't work? But, realistically, I just can't see how it can.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sorry and saddened that this is your final word as I have already moved to Christ Centered Forums along with quite a few from here. I know you think you are doing the right thing but that isnt how many see it including me. I will check back once in a while to see if the site has returned and this experiment ended as failure is written all over it. What has been accomplished is a mass exodus and excellent staff resigning and leraving as well. It is a shame that it will have to play out and will have to watch what this will ultimately lead to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Esquire

Erwin, try witnessing in GA some. It will open your eyes, I think.

Who are you? Why pull him away from here. New people come here to see and learn what we are getting involved with. He is doing quite well on his own. You are the one that seems to have given him the bad advice regarding this name change. Is that true?

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apologetics Challenge

drstevej

I spend a lot of time there.

Me kinda likes it :p

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Again I have not argued that it isn't the Holy Spirit. You go on discipling I will go on preaching the Gospel. Unfortunately I won't be allowed to do so here. No matter I am surrounded by non-Christians in real life.

Many of us (including me) forget and often try to do their own ways circumstances happens that they never stop and think because their human minds often see doors closing when ignoring another door opening. God taught me through my tials that there are always a new door opening that He is creating. I don't want to be the person when I say that a situation or a person is hopeless, becauswe I will be slamming the door in the face of God.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Who are you? Why pull him away from here. New people come here to see and learn what we are getting involved with. He is doing quite well on his own. You are the one that seems to have given him the bad advice regarding this name change. Is that true?
To begin with Steve was certainly not the only one. As for whether it was bad advice or not it depends on whether you agree that it should have been done or not.

Who's sock are you anyway?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Btw, folks, I'm afraid of a self-fulfilling prophecy: If all the Christians on this site leave for fear that it won't be Christian anymore -- well, then it won't be. But if we stick around and be a part of things, we can influence the spirit of this place, yeah?

Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In Defense of the Change Today

Might answer your questions.

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Btw, folks, I'm afraid of a self-fulfilling prophecy: If all the Christians on this site leave for fear that it won't be Christian anymore -- well, then it won't be. But if we stick around and be a part of things, we can influence the spirit of this place, yeah?
You mean like we as a majprity were able to influance Erwin? That is why I am at another site and will stay there other than checking in here to see when this house of cards falls and Erwin comes to his senses. Sorry, but this is a disaster. And I use my own account and no other so it isnt hard to find me, no socks, maybe I should get ten of them and hide like some others.

Upvote 0
E

Esquire

To begin with Steve was certainly not the only one. As for whether it was bad advice or not it depends on whether you agree that it should have been done or not.

Who's sock are you anyway?
I have read that conservative posting area quite closely and frankly it seems it was his idea. That fact doesn't even seem to matter unless he and others regret making the original suggestion.

PS - I don't wear socks.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There's some old, old politics involved here. Somebody really should gather up the old drama stories so they are preserved.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.