Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly, and what do you think of those who do not obey Him, and stay in their evil works? Are they saved?
Again, I am not the one who determines that, but I would be very concerned about their eternal life.
Everyone who has responded here has given you essentially the same answer what exactly is the point you are trying to make?
God Bless
Jax

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, I am not the one who determines that, but I would be very concerned about their eternal life.
Everyone who has responded here has given you essentially the same answer what exactly is the point you are trying to make?
God Bless
Jax

I keep hearing good works do nothing towards salvation, but yet everyone says good works will follow salvation. How is it the two are separated? I keep hearing good works are the 'result' of salvation. I say, no good works, no salvation. Is this what you say?

What do you say, evil works or good works will save you?

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing good works do nothing towards salvation, but yet everyone says good works will follow salvation. How is it the two are separated? I keep hearing good works are the 'result' of salvation. I say, no good works, no salvation. Is this what you say?

I keep hearing good works do nothing towards salvation,
That is clear scriptural teaching
How is it the two are separated?
Saving grace is free, it can not be earned.
After you are saved you will have the desire to be a profitable servant of your Lord and good works will flow from that
I say, no good works, no salvation. Is this what you say?
Salvation comes before any good works
Good works are the evidence of Salvation not the cause.
Neither, as everyone on here has made clear to you.

With all due respect I have answered your question as clearly as I can. Perhaps someone else will continue this conversation with you but I have nothing further to add
God Bless
Jax

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

After you are saved you will have the desire to be a profitable servant of your Lord and good works will flow from that

With all due respect I have answered your question as clearly as I can. Perhaps someone else will continue this conversation with you but I have nothing further to add
God Bless
Jax

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God Bless
Jax

Well Jax, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life? Jesus answered that question and it isn't what you are telling me.

Romans 2
6 who will render to each person according to his deeds:
7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;
8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation.

Again Jax, how will God render eternal life to you if you do not do good? Read verse 7 carefully.

John 5
28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

Finally Jax, which resurrection do you want to be a part of? One resurrection is for those who have done good, and the other is for those who have done evil. This includes ALL who are in the graves, not just some.

People had better wake up and listen to what is written. If Jesus was wrong, please excuse what I've said. You may go on with your life as it is. But you can't say you haven't been warned of the truth of doing good.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
EmSw - It's never too late for you to trust in Jesus Christ and His work at Calvary as your only hope of salvation.

If you will but humble yourself and do so - you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit who will lead you into an understanding of the basic doctrines of the faith.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
EmSw - It's never too late for you to trust in Jesus Christ and His work at Calvary as your only hope of salvation.

If you will but humble yourself and do so - you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit who will lead you into an understanding of the basic doctrines of the faith.

Marvin, don't you understand? You are speaking of basic things of salvation, milk if you will. I have gone on from there, to eating meat, if you will.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing good works do nothing towards salvation, but yet everyone says good works will follow salvation. How is it the two are separated?

Because you're confusing cause and effect. Good works is not a cause of salvation, but an effect. The book of James spells this out very clearly.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because you're confusing cause and effect. Good works is not a cause of salvation, but an effect. The book of James spells this out very clearly.

What's the cause of the resurrection of life? What is the cause of God rendering eternal life to us? I'll provide verses if you like.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's the cause of the resurrection of life? What is the cause of God rendering eternal life to us? I'll provide verses if you like.

Or maybe you could just understand what pretty much everyone is trying to explain to you.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Or maybe you could just understand what pretty much everyone is trying to explain to you.

If Jesus already explained to me that those who do good will come forth at the resurrection of life, why do I need man to tell me otherwise?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hello EmSw.

There is an overriding truth within the scripture, regardless of any other secondary doctrine, the Christ is the supreme revelation of the scripture. Believing in the death and the resurrection of the Christ is the primary qualification for salvation (1 Corinthians 15, Romans 10:9-10).

Every other doctrine follows on from this belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In Christ all truth resides, He holds the universe, and the church together.

Everything is from Him, was created for Him, and will be fully subjected to Him.

Your life as a Christian is a zealous obsession with Jesus Christ and nothing else. Don't worry the works will follow, the works are the result of the indwelling Holy Spirit, i.e., Christ within. These works are simply love from a very pure heart, but love is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. So in the end the gift is free and all is from above.

Be careful EmSw, the measure you use is the measure that you will be judged upon.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello EmSw.

There is an overriding truth within the scripture, regardless of any other secondary doctrine, the Christ is the supreme revelation of the scripture. Believing in the death and the resurrection of the Christ is the primary qualification for salvation (1 Corinthians 15, Romans 10:9-10).

Hello klute.

I believe the most important doctrine is the greatest commandment God gave us. That is, to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind. The second is like it - love your neighbor as yourself. All the law and prophets hang on these two.

Ironically, Jesus said nothing about believing in His death and resurrection for salvation. If anyone knew about salvation, it is The Savior Himself. However, He did say if we want to enter life, keep the commandments. He also said those who do good will come forth to the resurrection of life. Why people don't believe Him, I just can't understand.

Every other doctrine follows on from this belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In Christ all truth resides, He holds the universe, and the church together.

Everything is from Him, was created for Him, and will be fully subjected to Him.

I say every other belief follows the two great commandments. Is there anything greater than love? Jesus said He is the Life, not death. Many want to look to death instead of Life. Salvation is Life, not death.

Your life as a Christian is a zealous obsession with Jesus Christ and nothing else. Don't worry the works will follow, the works are the result of the indwelling Holy Spirit, i.e., Christ within. These works are simply love from a very pure heart, but love is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. So in the end the gift is free and all is from above.

Be careful EmSw, the measure you use is the measure that you will be judged upon.

Anyone can measure me by the words of Jesus.

John 5
28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

I guess I would like to ask you, do you think those who continue in evil works are saved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello EmSw.
I believe the most important doctrine is the greatest commandment God gave us. That is, to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind. The second is like it - love your neighbor as yourself. All the law and prophets hang on these two.
Well then you have been poorly taught, the scripture is not about any commandment. The scripture carries the revelation of the Christ, the truth itself.

John 5:39
You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me.

The law is secondary and was only ever given to the nation of Israel (Exodus).
Ironically, Jesus said nothing about believing in His death and resurrection for salvation.
Your statement is profoundly incorrect.

1 Corinthians 15
1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day.
If anyone knew about salvation, it is The Savior Himself. However, He did say if we want to enter life, keep the commandments. He also said those who do good will come forth to the resurrection of life. Why people don't believe Him, I just can't understand.
Jesus was talking to the Jews about their law in the Gospel letters. For some magical reason, no one seems to understand that Jesus was only sent to the Jews. The Gentiles were never given the commandments, the law, the temple, the priests, or anything else in the old covenant.

There are no good people, there are only sinners saved by Grace.
I say every other belief follows the two great commandments. Is there anything greater than love? Jesus said He is the Life, not death. Many want to look to death instead of Life. Salvation is Life, not death.
Jesus had to die so that you could have life.
Anyone can measure me by the words of Jesus.
A brave boast and one that God will no doubt use when he judges you.

The only good that anyone could ever do is a by product of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Believe me, there is no good thing within the heart of man, just darkness.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Hello klute.

Ironically, Jesus said nothing about believing in His death and resurrection for salvation. If anyone knew about salvation, it is The Savior Himself. However, He did say if we want to enter life, keep the commandments. He also said those who do good will come forth to the resurrection of life. Why people don't believe Him, I just can't understand.

'Why people don't believe Him, I just can't understand.'

John 11:24-26New King James Version (NKJV)

24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

Christ says He is the resurrection and He is the life and that those who are alive in Him and believe in Him will never die. For someone to be the resurrection, for one qualification, they would have to die and come back to life. So yeah, believing Christ is the resurrection and the life is of critical importance, for if the dead are not raised ,then your faith is in vain, because Christ says in Him you will be resurrected and if you dont believe this, your denying the words of Christ when He says He is the resurrection and the life.

Revelation 1:18
I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'Why people don't believe Him, I just can't understand.'

John 11:24-26New King James Version (NKJV)

24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

Christ says He is the resurrection and He is the life and that those who are alive in Him and believe in Him will never die. For someone to be the resurrection, for one qualification, they would have to die and come back to life. So yeah, believing Christ is the resurrection and the life is of critical importance, for it the dead are not raised ,then your faith is in vain because Christ says in Him you will be resurrected.

Revelation 1:18
I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

So you completely ignore what Jesus said about doing good.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
So you completely ignore what Jesus said about doing good.
I do not, but you ignore what Jesus says about Him being the resurrection and the life, and that those who believe in Him will never die, they have passed from death into life.
The good works you do and the good fruits you bear are entirely the result of the Holy Spirit at work within you, note v21.

John 3
19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

21 but he who is doing the truth doth come to the light, that his works may be manifested, that in God they are having been wrought.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not, but you ignore what Jesus says about Him being the resurrection and the life, and that those who believe in Hi will never die, they have passed from death into life.
The good works you do and the good fruits you bear are entirely the result of the Holy Spirit at work within you, note v21.

John 3
19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

But you don't believe Him when He says those who do good will attain to the resurrection of life.

Upvote 0