Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not familiar with different forms of Sola Fide. I'm only familiar with the true doctrine and its misunderstandings.
What is the "true doctrine" and what are it's biblical and logical justifications?

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I just want to ask what are the forms of Sola Fidei? I want to know how many forms there are, and what their biblical and logical justifications are for each of them.

I also know of only one sola fide. There are however 5 other solas
Sola Fide, by faith alone.
  • Sola Scriptura, by Scripture alone.
  • Solus Christus, through Christ alone.
  • Sola Gratia, by grace alone.
  • Soli Deo Gloria, glory to God alone.

God Bless
Jax

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've heard of at least two, Once Saved Always Saved and something called Lordship Salvation, but pretty sure there are various Calvinist and Arminian version of both.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've heard of at least two, Once Saved Always Saved and something called Lordship Salvation, but pretty sure there are various Calvinist and Arminian version of both.

Sola Fide is the belief that we are saved only by faith. Not by works or any combination faith and works. Both Calvinist and Arminians are Sola Fide (generally) but disagree on how that grace is applied by God.
Here is a link on Lordship Salvation What is lordship salvation?
OSAS is the belief that once a person is saved; they can never lose their salvation.

God Bless
Jax

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Sola Fide means that salvation is by Faith, not our good works. The "two" that you refer to here are not actually two; different opinions on how we might lose salvation or if that is possible, exactly what constitutes Faith, or exactly what happens to a person who has received saving Faith are merely related issues.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I just want to ask what are the forms of Sola Fidei? I want to know how many forms there are, and what their biblical and logical justifications are for each of them.
Hello JesusLovesOurLady

Sola fide (Latin: by faith alone), also known as justification by faith alone, is a Christian theological doctrine that distinguishes most Protestant denominations from the Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and some parts of the Restoration Movement. (wikipedia)

Ephesians 2
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Saved by the Grace of God but through the instrument of faith, as opposed to any justification by legal works, or any other works.

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sola Fide is the belief that we are saved only by faith. Not by works or any combination faith and works. Both Calvinist and Arminians are Sola Fide (generally) but disagree on how that grace is applied by God.
Here is a link on Lordship Salvation What is lordship salvation?
OSAS is the belief that once a person is saved; they can never lose their salvation.

God Bless
Jax
So the disagreement on Salvation among Protestants is over Sola Gratia? Not Sola Fide?

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So the disagreement on Salvation among Protestants is over Sola Gratia? Not Sola Fide?
I would say not even that. Both Calvinists and Arminians agree we ae saved by Grace alone thru Faith alone. The difference would be that Calvinists believe that God applies that saving grace to only those that he chose before creation, while Arminians believe that that grace is applied the moment that you acknowledge Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
But again there are some in both camps I'm sure will disagree with me.

God Bless
Jax

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian

There's a saying that I and many others agree with: "faith alone saves; but the faith that saves is never alone". Meaning that good works don't cause or help cause salvation, but are the natural result of salvation.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's a saying that I and many others agree with: "faith alone saves; but the faith that saves is never alone". Meaning that good works don't cause or help cause salvation, but are the natural result of salvation.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Are you saying if no good works are present with man, he is unsaved?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello klute. A careful reading will reveal that is exactly what he said.

I will ask you, is a man saved without good works?
Hello EmSw.

Of course, we are saved because we believe in the death and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. By Grace through faith, meaning the transfer of the sinner to saint is a free gift, a result of God's kindness and mercy.

Good works are what we were saved to perform, yet the justification before God is always a free gift.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello EmSw.

Of course, we are saved because we believe in the death and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. By Grace through faith, meaning the transfer of the sinner to saint is a free gift, a result of God's kindness and mercy.

Good works are what we were saved to perform, yet the justification before God is always a free gift.

So if one doesn't perform good works, is he saved?

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello klute. A careful reading will reveal that is exactly what he said.

I will ask you, is a man saved without good works?

A person is saved by grace alone. But every saved person will have good works, not to earn anything but because good works are the natural by-product of faith.
God Bless
Jax

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A person is saved by grace alone. But every saved person will have good works, not to earn anything but because good works are the natural by-product of faith.
God Bless
Jax

Why have good works then? Do you believe a person void of good works is saved?

Upvote 0