May 5, 2006
✟67,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I work for a great company and love my job, but over the last 3-4 months I feel like I'm being forced into a leadership role which I do not want. I have been a Staff Engineer at an automotive manufacturer for about the last 2 years. Before that I was a project engineer, and before that a manufacturing engineer (all at the same company). I've had great managers who have not only been excellent leaders, but they have recognized my hard work and promoted me throughout the years; and for that I'm grateful.

About 3-4 months ago, one of our managers was promoted, which led to me being appointed as the 'interim' engineering manager. I'm fine with filling in temporarily, but becoming a manager has never been part the career path which I had planned for myself. It's far too political for me, and although I feel like I can relate to people and lead people very well (although not as good as the former engineering manager), it's just not where my passions lie - I'm much more interested in the technical side of engineering. My current (or maybe former role) as the Staff Engineer was to lead the (much smaller) projects team, and also to help out the production engineers when needed - and I feel like it is a role that fit my passions and personality very well.

Since being appointed as the 'interim' engineering manager, it's pretty much been implied that the role is mine permanently if I want it... but in my heart I just don't. The biggest drawbacks for me are:

1. You can't ever truly walk away from work... ever. The exception to this is when you are on vacation. But other than that, when you go home your phone is with you at all times, and for the most part you're expected to answer it.
2. If a major piece of production equipment is down, it pretty much dominates your life until it is back up and running again.
3. You are now responsible for the entire engineering team... including all of their successes, and all of their failures. I'm a very independent person. I'm more than willing to help others, but that's it... I help them or give my advice, then walk away and what they do with it after that is their choice, and (for the most part) of no consequence to me.
4. I'm a pretty hands-on / 'go out and just do it' person... and management roles just aren't like that. You delegate to people and politic in meetings, and that's it. Which leads me to my 5th point...
5. I (for the most part) hate meetings! I think they are definitely essential, but so many people within my organization come to them unprepared or use them to talk about things that just don't matter, that the majority of them end up being a waste of time. Yes I schedule meetings when I think they are essential; but in my old role, they are a very small part of my day. Managers live in meetings, and I can't stand it.

So there's a bunch of negatives for me.... and the only positives are:

1. Higher salary. (I don't know how much higher, but I have a rough idea). A higher salary would provide (perhaps) a better future for my family - but personally I think that the stresses associated with the manager role outweigh that benefit. And if I want more money in my current position, there is voluntary overtime available on weekends. As a manager, I would no longer be eligible for OT.
2. More control over my own destiny (maybe). If I pass up the manager role and end up with a manager who delegates everything to me anyway, I'm stuck with (at least some of) the responsibilities of a manager, but with none of the monetary benefits.

But those aren't even the biggest negatives. Today, after 3-4 months of pondering this decision, my manager came to me and told me that due to cost cutting measures, the headcount of our department must stay the same. Since I am (by management's perception, it sounds like) the only person within the department who is qualified to be the next engineering manager, I can get promoted into that position, our headcount will then stay the same, and everyone in the department will keep their position / job. If I turn down the position, they will then have to hire a manager from outside the department (or perhaps outside the company), that will increase the headcount of our department by 1, which will require us to let someone go (or best case, maybe we can move them to another department). What?!

So basically, either I take the management position that I don't want, or someone could lose their job. What kind of a decision is that? I've prayed about this for months, asking God to make it clear what His will is for me. Despite all the prayers, I still don't have a firm conviction. In the absence of all other external factors (salary, pressure / perceived pressure from upper management, fear of retribution if I don't take the position), I would choose to not take the promotion, and to stay the Staff Engineer. But, after learning that someone else could loose their job if I don't take the position, my thoughts were "Ok... maybe this is God's way of saying I really need to do this, and it won't be as bad as I think it will. Or even if it is that bad, this is God's will for me, and there will be other benefits (for my family, co-workers and whatnot) that make it worth it in the long run."

So where is God in this decision? Maybe someone else can offer some advice or perspective that I am not seeing?

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Pop D.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, this is the "harsh" reality of the workplace or corporate environment.

If you're not "moving up the ladder", the monetary value you contribute to the company is diminishing because as time goes by, it becomes increasingly more expensive to keep you employed. Remember your salary keeps on increasing even if you don't get promoted, your health insurance goes up too and you get access to more perks and benefits as well. The only way you can stay profitable and more is to move on to greater responsibilities.

You may be happier keeping the same position because life is simpler but your employers are less happy because you could have made more money for them otherwise or at least make them loose less money since the value you contribute is not increasing because you're avoiding promotions and yet, it becomes more expensive to keep you employed.

Also try not to take opportunities for granted. You may think it's no big deal or you don't like it but it could save you one day. It may also be the Lord's plans for you. Disobeying the Lord don't usually end up good.

Our Lord would also want to have more responsible followers. A Christian life is not about being happy in this world and getting what we want but growing more in love and knowledge and often, the only we can grow is through adversities, struggles, and great challenges.

Grab the opportunity while you can. You couldn't have asked for a better opportunity, especially in company where everyone likes you. You'll have great support from your bosses and co-workers.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I work for a great company and love my job, but over the last 3-4 months I feel like I'm being forced into a leadership role which I do not want. I have been a Staff Engineer at an automotive manufacturer for about the last 2 years. Before that I was a project engineer, and before that a manufacturing engineer (all at the same company). I've had great managers who have not only been excellent leaders, but they have recognized my hard work and promoted me throughout the years; and for that I'm grateful.

About 3-4 months ago, one of our managers was promoted, which led to me being appointed as the 'interim' engineering manager. I'm fine with filling in temporarily, but becoming a manager has never been part the career path which I had planned for myself. It's far too political for me, and although I feel like I can relate to people and lead people very well (although not as good as the former engineering manager), it's just not where my passions lie - I'm much more interested in the technical side of engineering. My current (or maybe former role) as the Staff Engineer was to lead the (much smaller) projects team, and also to help out the production engineers when needed - and I feel like it is a role that fit my passions and personality very well.

Since being appointed as the 'interim' engineering manager, it's pretty much been implied that the role is mine permanently if I want it... but in my heart I just don't. The biggest drawbacks for me are:

1. You can't ever truly walk away from work... ever. The exception to this is when you are on vacation. But other than that, when you go home your phone is with you at all times, and for the most part you're expected to answer it.
2. If a major piece of production equipment is down, it pretty much dominates your life until it is back up and running again.
3. You are now responsible for the entire engineering team... including all of their successes, and all of their failures. I'm a very independent person. I'm more than willing to help others, but that's it... I help them or give my advice, then walk away and what they do with it after that is their choice, and (for the most part) of no consequence to me.
4. I'm a pretty hands-on / 'go out and just do it' person... and management roles just aren't like that. You delegate to people and politic in meetings, and that's it. Which leads me to my 5th point...
5. I (for the most part) hate meetings! I think they are definitely essential, but so many people within my organization come to them unprepared or use them to talk about things that just don't matter, that the majority of them end up being a waste of time. Yes I schedule meetings when I think they are essential; but in my old role, they are a very small part of my day. Managers live in meetings, and I can't stand it.

1. Higher salary. (I don't know how much higher, but I have a rough idea). A higher salary would provide (perhaps) a better future for my family - but personally I think that the stresses associated with the manager role outweigh that benefit. And if I want more money, there is voluntary overtime available on weekends.
2. More control over my own destiny (maybe). If I pass up the manager role and end up with a manager who delegates everything to me anyway, I'm stuck with (at least some of) the responsibilities of a manager, but with none of the monetary benefits.

But those aren't even the biggest negatives. Today, after 3-4 months of pondering this decision, my manager came to me and told me that due to cost cutting measures, the headcount of our department must stay the same. Since I am (by management's perception, it sounds like) the only person within the department who is qualified to be the next engineering manager, I can get promoted into that position, our headcount will then stay the same, and everyone in the department will keep their position / job. If I turn down the position, they will then have to hire a manager from outside the department (or perhaps outside the company), that will increase the headcount of our department by 1, which will require us to let someone go (or best case, maybe we can move them to another department). What?!

So basically, either I take the management position that I don't want, or someone could lose their job. What kind of a decision is that? I've prayed about this for months, asking God to make it clear what His will is for me. Despite all the prayers, I still don't have a firm conviction. In the absence of all other external factors (salary, pressure / perceived pressure from upper management, fear of retribution if I don't take the position), I would choose to not take the promotion, and to stay the Staff Engineer. But, after learning that someone else could loose their job if I don't take the position, my thoughts were "Ok... maybe this is God's way of saying I really need to do this, and it won't be as bad as I think it will. Or even if it is that bad, this is God's will for me, and there will be other benefits (for my family, co-workers and whatnot) that make it worth it in the long run."

So where is God in this decision? Maybe someone else can offer some advice or perspective that I am not seeing?

Thanks,
Mark
I don't know something tells me your manager is laying a guilt trip tactic on you to pressure you into the position. Not very cool. Hopefully he didn't mean you would lose your job if you dont take it. Maybe get more facts on the table. Everyone needs to be honest. Blessings.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the replies, they were helpful. I said I would take the position today. It just seems like it was God's will - though sometimes its so hard to tell. If I would have resisted, the personnel moves would have gotten really messy; and it ended up feeling like given the circumstances, this was the right decision.

I'm going to miss a lot of aspects of my old job. I loved planning and executing projects (and am very good at it), loved the autonomy which my old position had, and getting my hands into things and working side by side with the engineers on the shop floor. I'll still get some of those things (maybe), but not anywhere near to the extent that I did before.

I don't know something tells me your manager is laying a guilt trip tactic on you to pressure you into the position. Not very cool. Hopefully he didn't mean you would lose your job if you dont take it. Maybe get more facts on the table. Everyone needs to be honest. Blessings.

Thanks for the support. I can see how it might appear that I was being guilt tripped, but the headcount requirement is coming from our corporate office - so it's not something that anyone at my building has control over. It's just the circumstances, unfortunately. It gives me solace to know that even though this is not what I would have chosen (if I had control over every aspect of the situation), that God has a purpose in this.

Thanks all!

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
the headcount requirement is coming from our corporate office - so it's not something that anyone at my building has control over. It's just the circumstances, unfortunately.

It's just the way things work. It happens in every company with high turnover rates with their employees (in a good way).

The numbers don't look good if you keep the same position, maintaining the same work output, yet your salary and cost of benefits keeps on increasing. You are becoming less and less economical for the company to keep.

The only way to significantly increase your work value and contribution to the company to align with your salary and benefits is move on to positions of greater responsibility.

I hate to say this but one reason the world is so messed up, corruption rampant in some places and politics is because "God fearing" Christians are avoiding adversities, responsibilities. They want to live life as easy as possible. We find very few true Christians in politics, in positions of leadership. Instead, we find greedy, money and power loving, evil people in positions of power and influence.

This isn't what Jesus wanted that we chase after the good and easy life. It puts our faith in question. May even be a sign we may not been saved yet or we love our job and our lives more than God. It's all written in the Bible.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ugh..
I was pressed into service as the interim IT director at a South Carolina College. I hated the job, to say the least. I am the hands-on programmer, engineer kind of guy. That is what I love. I was helping out my friend who moved on to a VP job and needed me to step in. It became evident after some time that they did not intend to hire anyone new and were hoping I would stay in the job. After 9 months, I stepped into the VP's office and told them to start looking for candidates because I was done.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican

1. Higher salary. (I don't know how much higher, but I have a rough idea). A higher salary would provide (perhaps) a better future for my family - but personally I think that the stresses associated with the manager role outweigh that benefit. And if I want more money in my current position, there is voluntary overtime available on weekends. As a manager, I would no longer be eligible for OT.

Thanks,
Mark
I'm gonna be honest before I reply and say I didn't read to the end, I read up until the point where you started listing off the responsibilities of the new job.

This reminds me of a much smaller scale thing in my life at a snack shop where the job of Supervisor kept being asked of me but I kept refusing cause I wanted to be just one of the guys and not tell people what to do. Eventually I took the position but it wasn't after many times refusing.

Back to your post I think you should just be honest in the kindest way possible. Without making the higher ups feel like you are rejecting their offer because some people might take that as an offense despite I know that's not what you're doing.

See how that goes. I realize it's now been 20 days since you posted this but if possible try and see what will happen if you refuse the position. If they end up forcing you to take the promotion then so be it but at least you tried you know?

Upvote 0