For Catholics only: Is this a mortal sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorTortilla

I love COFFEE!!~~
Jun 27, 2005
Home of the Bucks-Ohio
✟15,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Please just tell me if this is a mortal sin: masturbation. Just a yes or no and if so, then please tell how. I honsetly don't see why God would care about somebody quietly masturbating in their room as He would somebody going out and raping a girl because they didn't releive their sexual tensions. I wouldn't think it would be a mortal sin, just a venial one.

Is it?

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."

To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Photini said:
I would say yes, because whatever spiritual disease this person has that would cause them to go out and rape a woman, would still be present in him either way. Eventually masturbation would not be enough for him and he would probably go out and rape her anyway.

What have you been inhaling ?

I need to clarify this:

If I touch regularly over a long enough period of time I going to become a rapist ?

Even on this forum that's just an outragous statement.

Laughably outragous.

Upvote 0

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Cosmic Charlie said:
If it is, we're all going to hell.

In which we'll be so busy shaking hands with our friends we won't have time to worry about it.

So lighten up on yourself.

Are you implying that we should not strive for purity and sinlessness?

Unfortunately, God does not grade on a curve.

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Cosmic Charlie said:
If it is, we're all going to hell.

Many of the saints who have been granted visions of hell have reported that most of the souls there are there due to sins of lust.

God intended sex to be between a husband and wife, with the intent of creating new life. Masturbation, like all sin, perverts what God created. It's a common sin, but that doesn't make it any less mortal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Cosmic Charlie said:
What have you been inhaling ?

I need to clarify this:

If I touch regularly over a long enough period of time I going to become a rapist ?

Even on this forum that's just an outragous statement.

Laughably outragous.

It would be, if that's what he was saying. Re-read the opening post:

"I honsetly don't see why God would care about somebody quietly masturbating in their room as He would somebody going out and raping a girl because they didn't releive their sexual tensions."

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
DreamTheater said:
2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."

To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

You pick one word out of two paragraphs to highlight and then post this without comment ?
What a dodge.

point 1) The sentence says its gravely disordered, not a grave matter - a not so suble difference.

point 2) The second paragraph states = To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

So its subjective then, isn't it ?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
DreamTheater said:
Are you implying that we should not strive for purity and sinlessness?

Unfortunately, God does not grade on a curve.

How do you know ? Has He infomred you of the grading system ?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Paul S said:
It would be, if that's what he was saying. Re-read the opening post:

"I honsetly don't see why God would care about somebody quietly masturbating in their room as He would somebody going out and raping a girl because they didn't releive their sexual tensions."

I have rereed the post, I have reread your post and I stand by post.

Masturbation is not a gateway practice to rape.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Paul S said:
Many of the saints who have been granted visions of hell have reported that most of the souls there are there due to sins of lust.

God intended sex to be between a husband and wife, with the intent of creating new life. Masturbation, like all sin, perverts what God created. It's a common sin, but that doesn't make it any less mortal.

By the churches own docoumentation ( that you dreamtheather) it does automatically make it mortal period.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CorTortilla

I love COFFEE!!~~
Jun 27, 2005
Home of the Bucks-Ohio
✟15,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I meant that I don't see how God would care about somebody masturbating as much as He would somebody raping a girl, which is a horrid sin, much more horrible than masturbating. I believe that God will be just in His judgements and that He wouldn't sentence us to an eternity in Hell for something small like masturbating once for about 5 minutes. True it would lengthen our time in purgatory but it wouldn't get us sent to an eternity in Hell. Who could you see going to Hell, a rapist murderer scumbag or a nice polite God fearing person who masturbated once for a few minutes?

Upvote 0

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Cosmic Charlie said:
You pick one word out of two paragraphs to highlight and then post this without comment ?
What a dodge.

When one highlights a word, it is not meant to stand alone and make the rest of the text irrelevant; it is used for emphasis purposes.

point 1) The sentence says its gravely disordered, not a grave matter - a not so suble difference.

It's a grave action. That's enough to deem it unacceptable.

point 2) The second paragraph states = To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

So its subjective then, isn't it ?

Force of habit may diminish the "deliberate consent" aspect, but that certainly doesn't qualify as a "get out of jail free card." Notice it says "lessen" and "reduce", but never mentions the word "nullify".

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CoreyZallow said:
I meant that I don't see how God would care about somebody masturbating as much as He would somebody raping a girl, which is a horrid sin, much more horrible than masturbating. I believe that God will be just in His judgements and that He wouldn't sentence us to an eternity in Hell for something small like masturbating once for about 5 minutes. True it would lengthen our time in purgatory but it wouldn't get us sent to an eternity in Hell. Who could you see going to Hell, a rapist murderer scumbag or a nice polite God fearing person who masturbated once for a few minutes?

Its ok Corey, everybody understood.

Except those who didn't

Upvote 0

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
CoreyZallow said:
I meant that I don't see how God would care about somebody masturbating as much as He would somebody raping a girl, which is a horrid sin, much more horrible than masturbating.

1858 - ...The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

I believe that God will be just in His judgements and that He wouldn't sentence us to an eternity in Hell for something small like masturbating once for about 5 minutes. True it would lengthen our time in purgatory but it wouldn't get us sent to an eternity in Hell. Who could you see going to Hell, a rapist murderer scumbag or a nice polite God fearing person who masturbated once for a few minutes?

Why risk it? Doesn't Christ tell us to enter the narrow gate?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
DreamTheater said:
When one highlights a word, it is not meant to stand alone and make the rest of the text irrelevant; it is used for emphasis purposes.

It was the not commenting that got me. Likes it all obvious.

It's a grave action. That's enough to deem it unacceptable.

But not a mortal sin. For that you need "grave matter", not "gravely disordered action"

Force of habit may diminish the "deliberate consent" aspect, but that certainly doesn't qualify as a "get out of jail free card." Notice it says "lessen" and "reduce", but never mentions the word "nullify".

No, but it sure seems like it knocks it down to a misdemeanor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.