May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I meet many many christians. I make the mistake of assuming they follow Christ. But to my disappointment, most of these people do not care enough to truely follow him. What is the deal with this ? I am by no means perfect, but sometimes I feel like I am one of very few that care to do what is right. I feel like I am the only one who cares.

I know people who go to church, pray, even read their bibles. But their lives don't follow. I am always saddened to see these believers who won't take the necessary steps to follow Christ. Do we not preach enough on serious faith? I used to think it was a select few that aren't true followers. But that has changed. For those of us that are completely sold out to Christ, we are the minority. Brothers and sisters, this is to our shame! Fourty-two percent of Americans claim to be born again, and we have almost nothing to show for it.

Comments ?

Does anyone feel the same way ?

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What do you mean almost nothing to show for it, I think we are doing fine if you want to be compared to other countrys. But if you compare us to God, well we fall short by an inch, well maybe 2 inchs. :p

I kind of feel the same way at times about serious faith. I am shocked that most people haven't read the bible all the way through. The bible says God will not be mocked, you shall reap what you sow.
I tell my study group they don't have to do what the bible says, but then again you don't have to be blessed either.

Its a complicated matter, depending who you talk to and what place you are in.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Amen, and blessings to you brother for your heart and message on this vital issue.

If you break the numbers down further you will find that we are losing young people at a rate that should shake us up. It should have all of us on our knees. It's us they see and they don't like what they see.

I believe you are correct, in that it takes a changed life to affect another life. We can't expect to see large numbers of New Christians as long as the old ones are just part of the world.

Many of us have tried to make a differences by working alone. It just doesn't work as effectively as working with a sold out flock of believers. I believe that there are some good ideas out there on how to begin dealing with this.

Our Local Churches need to start working together on this issue. We need to put our differences where they belong in the scheme of things, they don't belong anywhere. We need to stop worrying about which translation we are reading and start worrying about our neighbors eternal lives. There are many Elders out there that need to resign, get off the board. There are committees on top of committees setting agendas in the house of God that are private ones, and they are driving the godly folk out the door to work alone. We need to stop firing Pastors that tell the truth. We need a clean house first and then we need to begin work with the flock by bringing them into a clean house.

PK is working with pastors, there is a conference in feb that is I believe of vital importance to all of us.

I hear your frustration but IMHO we must start work from within the local church.

Let's change it, I am with you.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Gryphon

Sep 23, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟527.00
I think a lot of it has to do with just how comfortable life has become. TV constantly streams in non-Christian shows. Radio and music proclaim all the selfishness you could want! Look at neighborhoods compared to a few decades ago. How long has it been since you went to a "block party"? How many people really know the people around them?

People are succumbing to the influences of Satan. Even when it doesn't seem like it, it's there.

Upvote 0

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
I don't find it surprising at all. After all, our Lord and Saviour, Jesus told us that there are only two roads. And that most people are on the road that leads to destruction and that only a few are on the road to life.

What about all the self-proclaimed Christians?

Titus 1:16 says: "They publicly declare they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort."

Most so-called Christians are part of this world with all of its political, nationalistic, and militaristic characteristics. Rather then remaining neutral and advocating only God's kingdom as the only hope for mankind......they fall into the devil's snare and are blinded from the truth.

One does well to contemplate the life course of Jesus and not merely follow the crowd on the broad and spacious road.

Upvote 0

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It really gets to me when I see a brother or sister who is so close to giving their all to God. I am not referring to your typical hypocrite, rather to those who have faith, but are just lazy. Lets use the example of someone trying to follow God, then they start dating someone, and they drop off the God scene. Do they not know better? Sure they do! What stops them? I feel its a lack of serious faith. For me, I would rather go to one extreme or the other. If I did not follow Christ, I would be involved in a heap of sins. But there seems to be lack on the opposite extreme. Where are the people saying "I will do what is right, I will follow Christ will all that I am. I will not compromise my faith for anything in this world. Watch how I act and you will see. Follow me as I follow Christ." Can anyone today actually tell others to watch how they live their life, and to follow what they do ? I want my life to be this way !

Upvote 0

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by SUNSTONE
What do you mean almost nothing to show for it, I think we are doing fine if you want to be compared to other countrys. But if you compare us to God, well we fall short by an inch, well maybe 2 inchs. :p

We are not doing fine. Think about this. Homosexuals count for 2% of the population. How loud is their voice? How much are they a part of the media? They are not only loud, but they are heard, and they are a big part of mainstream american society. Now lets look at born again christians who are 21 times bigger than the homosexual population, yet we don't even have the influence on our society that they do. We should have 20 time the influence, but we don't.

And if christians in the U.S. were doing a fine job, then where is the growth? Where are the thousands upon thousand being saved? Well guess who is not spreading the good news, US (pun intended). Guess which people are not living a serious faith lifestyle, US !

Upvote 0

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
Within your own sphere of friends of associates, your topics of discussion may be the Lord, the Bible, getting saved, etc.

However, please, someday take a poll amongst strangers, whether by phone or in person.....and ask the question.......who is it that comes to you regularly with a Bible or religious message?

Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus prophesied that in the last days, an all important preaching work would take place. Notice Matthew 24:14:

(Matthew 24:14) And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.

It will be interesting to hear the results of your poll.

Upvote 0

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by lared
Within your own sphere of friends of associates, your topics of discussion may be the Lord, the Bible, getting saved, etc.

However, please, someday take a poll amongst strangers, whether by phone or in person.....and ask the question.......who is it that comes to you regularly with a Bible or religious message?

Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus prophesied that in the last days, an all important preaching work would take place. Notice Matthew 24:14:

(Matthew 24:14) And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.

It will be interesting to hear the results of your poll.

I don't see what you are asking.

I was making the point that too many of us have lazy faith, and don't truely follow God. That people who tightly follow after God are in a minority when it comes to christianity, which is the opposite of the way it should be. What would the point of that poll be? I don't see one.

Yes, the end will come when the message is spread. But the message is not spread. We are not fulfilling the great commission ( matt 28:19 ) People are dying without Jesus and we just sit back and watch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
Dave,
Yes, I would agree with you that many have what you called 'lazy faith', and don't truly follow God. However, I would not include myself in with that crowd.

I spend much time each month, introducing the good news to complete strangers and following up on interested ones.

I believe that the message is being spread. Why in fact, stats. show that last year, well over 1,169,000,000 hours were spent doing thus in 235 lands. (That is over one billion hours! in hundreds of languages!)

Jesus is king and people need to know that and give their allegiance to God's kingdom and put their faith in his shed blood.

Go ahead and make some random phone calls throughout your area. Ask if anyone ever comes to them with a Bible message. You may be surprised, if not, then true, there is still alot of work to do.

sincerely, lared

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that God requires Christians who are walking with Him to be 100% correct on every point of primary, secondary, and tertiary doctrine and practice in the sight of Him and of other Christians, and to be entirely sinless.

However I cannot meet this standard no matter how hard I work at it, so please do not condemn me.
I would do anything short of that for God though. If God wanted me to sit on top of a pole for 40 years or live as a shrill Jack Chick/Michael Woronecki/Berit Kjos clone that spewed hate toward everything and everyone, I would. If God wanted me to join the Hutterites that live alone out on farms, or the so called "trash Brethren" that eat out of garbage dumpsters and live in tents, I would.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Good thread Dave. From the replies posted here we can clearly see what a difference a dozen born-again Christians,who accept that God's Word has already been translated and does not need translation but rather Application, would band together in unity of purpose could accomplish right here in these forums. I mean these 12 would follow each other and support their posts by adding to and enhancing them.

When the atheists and pagans and other "christians" saw this group working together in unity and in POWER, they would take notice, and see that these people did not publically argue and dispute over matters of doctrine, no matter how small or large.

They would see that THIS group of Christians had something going for them, and would see a witness that they do not see now. There are supposed top be over 4,000 members here now. Do you suppose there are 12 born again Christians who would band together to bring Glory and Honor to the Lord Jesus Christ in a very special way? To unite in a way that they are forever pointing to Jesus? What a thought, eh?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by seebs
How can you tell whether someone isn't trying, or is merely a bit confused?

Hey Seebs,

The answer to that question is easy.

When that someone is speaking, does he truly understand the words that he speaks?
Then, he's trying.

If he chooses to give a retort to a person who asks him for clarification, he's not trying.

If he makes an effort to respond to the request for clarification, that response can demonstrate his sincerity in making an effort, and may reveal if he's confused. But, that depends on the level of understanding that the listener is at.

Patty

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Susan
I believe that God requires Christians who are walking with Him to be 100% correct on every point of primary, secondary, and tertiary doctrine and practice in the sight of Him and of other Christians, and to be entirely sinless.

However I cannot meet this standard no matter how hard I work at it, so please do not condemn me.

God wants all of who we are to follow after him. There is nothing expected of us to have perfect doctrine, thats impossible. God wants us to follow after him whole heartedly, its a love relationship. He loves us much, we love him much back. We love much because we have been forgiven much.

I do not condemn you. You and I are in the same boat, imperfect sinners. What matters is that you are not satisfied with a sinful lifestyle. It matters that you repent and turn away from evil things, and get back on track with God, and continue to serve him. He has a plan for your life, a plan that only you can accomplish. I don't know about you, but I am not willing to miss out on what God has planned for me.

Upvote 0

cthoma11

Up in Canada
Jun 11, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟278.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Susan

Hi,

I think God requires that we strive to become like Christ, but does not require that we be like Christ (100% correct, sinless). That was the whole problem in the first place. No one could make it.

Upvote 0

shout2thelord

adopted aussie :)
Oct 11, 2002
crewe, england
Visit site
✟2,215.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have begun to understand the need to change areas of my life ever since i gave my life back to the lord but without knowing Jesus i wouldnt have been able to do this. My love for him made me want to draw closer to God which inspires me to read my Bible.

Some christians still read their Bible or p[ray out of duty which wont inspire you to change your lifestyle.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by DaveKerwin
I meet many many christians. I make the mistake of assuming they follow Christ. But to my disappointment, most of these people do not care enough to truely follow him. What is the deal with this ? I am by no means perfect, but sometimes I feel like I am one of very few that care to do what is right. I feel like I am the only one who cares.

I know people who go to church, pray, even read their bibles. But their lives don't follow. I am always saddened to see these believers who won't take the necessary steps to follow Christ. Do we not preach enough on serious faith? I used to think it was a select few that aren't true followers. But that has changed. For those of us that are completely sold out to Christ, we are the minority. Brothers and sisters, this is to our shame! Fourty-two percent of Americans claim to be born again, and we have almost nothing to show for it.

Comments ?

Does anyone feel the same way ?

I don't know. Imagine how much worse it might be if even fewer were born again Christians! This country might not be in even as good shape as it is. Our lives and our prayers make a big impact on our nation.

Instead of looking at the glass as half-empty...

Upvote 0

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by lambslove
I don't know. Imagine how much worse it might be if even fewer were born again Christians! This country might not be in even as good shape as it is. Our lives and our prayers make a big impact on our nation.

Instead of looking at the glass as half-empty...

That's fine, but the reality is that as a whole, christians are not doing their jobs. If we earned a wage by how much we followed God, then the majority of us would be bankrupt.

Let me give an example of what I am talking about. I was takling with a female friend of mine about dating, physical touch, and all that. The topic came up because of a concern we have for a mutual friend of ours. I shared with her my standards for dating, physical touch, and all that. She was shocked. She was shocked by how high the standards are (which are not that high in reality). Keep in mind she is a christian. Now, why would this be a shock to her? It should not be! It should be a standard, a given. Christians should be shocked instead when that standard is not met! But that's not the way it is. A lot of christians now a days are shocked when someone actually follows God, they are shocked and impressed by righteousness, because they don't see it enough. This is bad.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.