What should we expect when following Christ ?

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Wrong expectation can lead to disappointment. What should we expect if we follow Christ ? Or is it better not to expect anything ?

I think most of when following Christ at least expect this bare minimum, roof over our heads, protection from injustice and pain caused by persecution etc, enough to eat and drink, health, enough finances to live a decent enough life and we also want this for our spouse, children. So it is kinda what prosperity gospel teaches.

But we all know from real life observation this is not always the case, for some it is, for some it isn't.
I mean some of us could die of sickness, we might get persecuted for our faith, we might struggle in finances etc.

Br,

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"be content with such things as you have" (in Hebrews 13:5)

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
But the LORD delivers him out of them all"
(Psalm 34:19)

For marriage and other close relating, expect how God makes us able to relate as His family >

"Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" (in Philippians 2:13-16)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

Loving like this, in sharing with God, is included in Biblical prosperity.

Paul took "pleasure" in his troubles, once he was submissive to God in His grace > 2 Corinthians 12:7-15. Grace includes God in us affecting our character to become how Jesus is and loves, and grace is God in us personally guiding us creatively so we are discovering what He has us doing and how all things fit with what He has us doing. He is creative, constantly bringing us to better than what we can expect ahead of time.

We grow in this, like how a child does not know things which will come, but parents know how you are developing, what you are becoming ready to learn and to do. And they arrange what will show up in your life.

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Wrong expectation can lead to disappointment. What should we expect if we follow Christ ? Or is it better not to expect anything ?

I think most of when following Christ at least expect this bare minimum, roof over our heads, protection from injustice and pain caused by persecution etc, enough to eat and drink, health, enough finances to live a decent enough life and we also want this for our spouse, children. So it is kinda what prosperity gospel teaches.

But we all know from real life observation this is not always the case, for some it is, for some it isn't.
I mean some of us could die of sickness, we might get persecuted for our faith, we might struggle in finances etc.

Br,
In regard to what you're talking about here, what we can expect is this:
if we pursue material things but don't pursue God's things, we will end up regretting our life in the day of judgment, but
if we pursue God's things first (like He commanded in Mat. 6:33), we will end up with an eternal reward.

The idea is to become the kind of person that pleases God, having a Christlike character, bearing the fruit of the Spirit.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Br,
Expect His Holy Spirit to dwell in you. Once this transformation happens, He will lead you to all truth and conviction. Those who love Him can expect this for certain. Blessings.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Br,
When we sincerely receive Jesus we can expect that through walking with Him He will help us change our thinking and our thinking will change our doing ... this happens over the course of our earthly life .... becoming more Christ like.

We are told we will have great tribulation on this earth .. and we do. He goes through our tribulations with us and that is our comfort.

John 16:33 ESV

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Psalm 23:1–64 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Psalm 23:1–64 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
This is prosperity gospel, yes God is always with us I suppose, but second part "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." doesn't seem to always the case, for some it is, for some it isn't for example think about the beatings Paul had to suffer sometimes, not always ofc, but sometimes.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is prosperity gospel, yes God is always with us I suppose, but second part "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." doesn't seem to always the case, for some it is, for some it isn't for example think about the beatings Paul had to suffer sometimes, not always ofc, but sometimes.
The "prosperity gospel" is not the true gospel, because those who teach it deny that tribulation is helpful, and their focus is on material things. But Rom. 8:28 says that God causes ALL things to work together for our good, and that includes suffering. This is why Paul could say that we overwhelmingly conquer through all circumstances. It is spiritual truth, and has the purpose of sharing in God's holiness (Heb. 12). The cup that runs over is the realization that our sins (deserving lake of fire judgment) are forgiven, and we will live forever in paradise. Feelings are secondary. We walk by faith, not by sight. Prov. 3:3-6.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "prosperity gospel" is not the true gospel, because those who teach it deny that tribulation is helpful, and their focus is on material things. But Rom. 8:28 says that God causes ALL things to work together for our good, and that includes suffering. This is why Paul could say that we overwhelmingly conquer through all circumstances. It is spiritual truth, and has the purpose of sharing in God's holiness (Heb. 12). The cup that runs over is the realization that our sins (deserving lake of fire judgment) are forgiven, and we will live forever in paradise. Feelings are secondary. We walk by faith, not by sight. Prov. 3:3-6.

What should we expect when following Christ ?​

We should expect changes in our life (our thinking) constantly drawing nearer to our Savior and the way we live. This is a continuous process throughout our earthly life ... this is the testament (evidence) of the faith of Jesus working in us.

God (Jesus) suffers along with us.

1 Peter 4:12-13 ESV​

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's (who is God) sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.

Galatians 2:20. As rendered in the original King James Version, Paul wrote, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith OF the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

It is the faith OF Jesus working in the believer.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi,

Br,
There is really no real true way to know for sure, since it will be different for each individual.

Much of it will depend on what he chooses you for, or calls you to do, which sometimes only he knows fully a lot of the time, etc, and there could also be different phases to it sometimes also, or times when you could be in severe lack or want or be mistreated for a time, but then maybe after that, maybe times of very great abundance for a time, etc, among a bunch of other things, etc.

There are many, many factors that could play a part, etc.

So just try not to expect either way, but just do what God wants you to do that is right in front of you, and just practice always doing that for awhile, or for a time, etc.

However it goes, if you always fully follow Christ, or always do what God wants you to do that is right in front of you, etc, your reward will always be great in Heaven, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Br,
What to expect from God: that God expects something from us. Not to produce something He doesn't already have, or that we don't already have. But to produce part of what He has already given us, if you have the faith to believe it. We can expect that what He says is a free gift in Christ, we already have it. If He loves us, and it's a free gift, then doesn't He expect us to love Him in return? Do what He commands? Love other people? If we do what He says, then cannot we expect Him to bless us in many ways?

Upvote 0