New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
They can't stand the heat so they are getting out of the kitchen.

Tennessee county beats hasty retreat from call to ban homosexuals
(03-18) 18:56 PST DAYTON, Tenn. (AP) --

The county that was the site of the Scopes "Monkey Trial" over the teaching of evolution Thursday reversed its call to ban homosexuals.

Rhea County commissioners took about three minutes to retreat from a request to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature. The Tuesday measure passed 8-0.

County attorney Gary Fritts said the initial vote triggered a "wildfire" of reaction. "I've never seen nothing like this," he said Thursday.

But Fritts said it was all a misunderstanding.

"They wanted to send a message to our (state) representative and senator that Rhea County supports the ban on same-sex marriage," he said. "Same-sex marriage is what it was all about. It was to stop people from coming here and getting married and living in Rhea County."

Not that the issue of banning homosexuals didn't arise.

"I'm not saying it wasn't discussed," Fritts said. "Sometimes you had five or six people talking."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/03/18/national2050EST0804.DTL

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Also from the article:

But 12-year-old Caitlin Kinney, attending the meeting with her mother, said she supported the commissioners' initial vote.

"I think they should go further, try to see if they can ban them," she said. "It's not a Christian thing."
It's unfortunate that this young woman has been taught that "the Christian thing" is to ostracize and cast out, not to treat with love and compassion.

"Inasmuch as you did it unto one of these...."

Upvote 0

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
I wouldn't give her a hard time since she is only 12, but the grown, brains fully formed adults who think along these lines, do they think this logic out thouroughly? I mean, it isn't "christian" Well, neither is buddhism or atheism. What d'ya think they would like seen done to them?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SqueezetheShaman said:
I mean, it isn't "christian" Well, neither is buddhism or atheism. What d'ya think they would like seen done to them?

I'm not sure if that's the context she meant. The way I first read it, she was saying that the act of banning homosexuals isn't just a christian thing, IOW there's supposedly some secular basis to the law. But you could very well be right.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Polycarp1 said:
Also from the article:

It's unfortunate that this young woman has been taught that "the Christian thing" is to ostracize and cast out, not to treat with love and compassion.

"Inasmuch as you did it unto one of these...."
Agreed - this is, in my opinion, tantamount to child abuse.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
how can you even consider banning homosexuals?
Seriously. Were they planning on setting up roadblocks? Or maybe the county attorney thought he'd be able to tell who's gay, cuz no gay man could possibly resist his charm, rugged good looks, and eloquence ("I've never seen nothing like this").

Upvote 0

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
trunks2k said:
I'm not sure if that's the context she meant. The way I first read it, she was saying that the act of banning homosexuals isn't just a christian thing, IOW there's supposedly some secular basis to the law. But you could very well be right.
"I think they should go further, try to see if they can ban them,"

silly, it doesnt get much more obvious than that. lol go drink your coffee :p

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SqueezetheShaman said:
"I think they should go further, try to see if they can ban them,"

Yes I know she said that. But I'm not sure if her statement "it's nto a Christian thing" was meant to be said as:

"Homosexuality is not christian, so it should be banned"

or

"Not only christians want homosexuality banned"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
trunks2k said:
Yes I know she said that. But I'm not sure if her statement "it's nto a Christian thing" was meant to be said as:

"Homosexuality is not christian, so it should be banned"

or

"Not only christians want homosexuality banned"

I vote the first. I think it is a real shame to teach children intolerance. I agree with Chalice it is tantamount to child abuse. A crime against humanity.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
mhatten said:
I vote the first. I think it is a real shame to teach children intolerance. I agree with Chalice it is tantamount to child abuse. A crime against humanity.
Especially in a world that needs more understanding, wise hearts - our children are the ones who have the capacity teach us GOd's love.

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
I think it also illustrates the shear bully-mentality of the folks in question here. As long as they thought they were just banning the members of an under-represented and easily discounted minority, they were wiling to act, but when they get actual scrutiny and questions from people with a little weight, they crumble like old cookies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
Brimshack said:
I think it also illustrates the shear bully-mentality of the folks in question here. As long as they thought they were just banning the members of an under-represented and easily discounted minority, they were wiling to act, but when they get actual scrutiny and questions from people with a little weight, they crumble like old cookies.
"when they get actual scrutiny and questions from people with a little weight"

Umm..that's the essenice of "bully-mentality". Using your "weight" to change someone's position.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Outspoken said:
Umm..that's the essenice of "bully-mentality". Using your "weight" to change someone's position.
Only in the sense that there is some ultimatum in place, or some unpleasant consequence for disregarding. No one was telling the commission they couldn't pass the statute in question or threatening them with harm if they did. The message was, "We can't believe you guys are being so stupid."

Knowing you, you might find some reason still to condemn them - judgmentalism perhaps - but it isn't for bullying.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
SqueezetheShaman said:
Well I certainly won't be visiting Rhea county anytime soon.
Not all of us who reside here feel this way Shaman.

You don't know how bad the politics going on in this state pain me
right now....

There are good people here, they just don't serve in political office.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
SqueezetheShaman said:
What d'ya think they would like seen done to them?
Sadly,
The same.

Ironically these are the same legislators who turn a blind eye
to all the farmers of the area mass-importing Mexicans to
work for slave wages, live in concrete buildings in order
to increase their profits.

You never see that reported in the news...

JUST THOSE DAMMM HOMOS AND EVOLUTIONISTS CORRUPTING OUR
CHILDREN....

Upvote 0