Midwest
✟82,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Wherefore, I command you to repent, and keep the commandments which you have received by the hand of my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., in my name..."
Doctrine and Covenants 19:13

"And after that you have received this, if you keep not my commandments you cannot be saved in the kingdom of my Father."
Doctrine and Covenants 18:46

"If you keep not my commandments, the love of the Father shall not continue with you, therefore you shall walk in darkness."
Doctrine and Covenants 95:12

Doctrine and Covenants
SECTION 25
Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, July 1830. See HC 1: 103–104; see also heading to Section 24. This revelation manifests the will of the Lord to Emma Smith, the Prophet’s wife.

"Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness thou shalt receive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come."
Doctrine and Covenants 25:15

Reactions: Sten

Laterhosen

May 3, 2010
United States
✟327.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
"Wherefore, I command you to repent, and keep the commandments which you have received by the hand of my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., in my name..."

"And after that you have received this, if you keep not my commandments you cannot be saved in the kingdom of my Father."

"If you keep not my commandments, the love of the Father shall not continue with you, therefore you shall walk in darkness."

Doctrine and Covenants
SECTION 25
Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, July 1830. See HC 1: 103–104; see also heading to Section 24. This revelation manifests the will of the Lord to Emma Smith, the Prophet’s wife.

"Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness thou shalt receive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come."

Is there a point in this?

Upvote 0

Laterhosen

May 3, 2010
United States
✟327.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'll save her the trouble of being redundant, "It seems like a great topic to discuss among followers and non-followers of Joseph Smith! "

Rufus :wave:

We're trying to figure out exactly what the topic is. Is this like the 14 Californians it takes to screw in a light bulb leaving 12 people to relate to the experience?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We're trying to figure out exactly what the topic is. Is this like the 14 Californians it takes to screw in a light bulb leaving 12 people to relate to the experience?

The topic is Follow Joseph Smith.

Upvote 0

BarryK

Feb 16, 2006
pocono mountains, Pennsyltucky
✟7,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Doctrine and Covenants
SECTION 25

Is there a point in this?

Okay, again..... What's your point???

The topic is Follow Joseph Smith.
could that be why you titled this thread "Foloow Joseph Smith"?:doh:

Upvote 0

BarryK

Feb 16, 2006
✟7,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

hey, nice flame!!! but since your a new guy, i wont report you on this one

ok, i know that sounds sarcastc, but the way things go on tis thread, dont be surprised if you get reported for somthng like that.

I once was reported for this:

Q. How many Mormons does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A. One, just like anybody else

somebody actually took offense that they wre treated with the same dignity and respect that everyone gets

Yeah, i know its nuts, but that is the way the Contra-contras around here sometimes roll like that

Upvote 0

BarryK

Feb 16, 2006
✟7,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Doctrine and Covenants
SECTION 25

And dont forget what the "prophets' have to say about Smith as well

[There is] "no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith. If Joseph Smith was verily a prophet, and if he told the truth...no man can reject that testimony without incurring the most dreadful consequences, for he cannot enter the kingdom of God"
- Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, p.190

"No man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith...every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are... [Joseph Smith] reigns there as supreme a being in his sphere, capacity, and calling, as God does in heaven. Many will exclaim—"Oh, that is very disagreeable! It is preposterous! We cannot bear the thought!" But it is true."
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p.289-91

"I tell you, Joseph holds the keys, and none of us can get into the celestial kingdom without passing by him. We have not got rid of him, but he stands there as the sentinel, holding the keys of the kingdom of God; and there are many of them beside him. I tell you, if we get past those who have mingled with us, and know us best, and have a right to know us best, probably we can pass all other sentinels as far as it is necessary, or as far as we may desire. But I tell you, the pinch will be with those that have mingled with us, stood next to us, weighed our spirits, tried us, and proven us: there will be a pinch, in my view, to get past them. The others, perhaps, will say, If brother Joseph is satisfied with you, you may pass. If it is all right with him, it is all right with me. Then if Joseph shall say to a man, or if brother Brigham say to a man, I forgive you your sins, "Whosoever sins ye remit they are remitted unto them;" if you who have suffered and felt the weight of transgression—if you have generosity enough to forgive the sinner, I will forgive him: you cannot have more generosity than I have. I have given you power to forgive sins, and when the Lord gives a gift, he does not take it back again."
- Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p.154-155

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laterhosen

May 3, 2010
United States
✟327.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
hey, nice flame!!! but since your a new guy, i wont report you on this one

ok, i know that sounds sarcastc, but the way things go on tis thread, dont be surprised if you get reported for somthng like that.

I once was reported for this:

Q. How many Mormons does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A. One, just like anybody else

somebody actually took offense that they wre treated with the same dignity and respect that everyone gets

Yeah, i know its nuts, but that is the way the Contra-contras around here sometimes roll like that

No, Sir, that was not a flame. That was a case of using an extreme example to demonstrate a like situation. Do you just throw out random words and discuss them here? That's how it appears. If you still believe my comment was a flame and want to present your argument for that conclusion, I will be happy to address it further. Also it is very rare for me to become angry so, if you think you can goad me into irrelevancies like ad hominem attacks and so forth, it's very unlikely that is going to happen.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, Sir, that was not a flame. That was a case of using an extreme example to demonstrate a like situation. Do you just throw out random words and discuss them here? That's how it appears. If you still believe my comment was a flame and want to present your argument for that conclusion, I will be happy to address it further. Also it is very rare for me to become angry so, if you think you can goad me into irrelevancies like ad hominem attacks and so forth, it's very unlikely that is going to happen.

The OP is not random words. This is what Joseph Smith taught:

What happens if people don't keep the commandments that Joseph Smith taught? According to Joseph Smith, the Lord said:

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Brigham Young declared, "...and he that confesseth not that Jesus has come in the flesh and sent Joseph Smith with the fullness of the Gospel to this generation, is not of God, but is antichrist."
Journal of Discourses, Vol. 9, p. 312

Let's look at that in context;

The time was when the test of a Christian was his confession of Christ.The time was when the test of a Christian was his confession of Christ. In the first Epistle of John it is written, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God; every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, is of God, and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, is not of God. And this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come, and even now already is in the world." This is no test to this generation, for all men of the Christian world confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. This generation, however, is not left without a test. I have taught for thirty years, and still teach, that he that believeth in his heart and confesseth with his mouth that Jesus is the Christ and that Joseph Smith is his Prophet to this generation, is of God; and he that confesseth not that Jesus has come in the flesh and sent Joseph Smith with the fulness of the Gospel to this generation, is not of God, but is antichrist.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Looks like Brigham was more forthright in stating his views than modern day LDS folk.

Wonder whether those LDS members here consider these statement truthful or in error?

I categorically deny that Jesus sent Joseph Smith with the fullness of the Gospel to this generation.

Does that make me anti-Christ?

That is a pretty bold statement.

If he is right then there are tremendous implications.

If he is not right then there are tremendous implications.

I don't think claiming he was just joking is an alternative......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Brigham Young declared, "...and he that confesseth not
that Jesus has come in the flesh and sent Joseph Smith with the fullness of the Gospel to this generation, is not of God, but is antichrist."

Let's look at that in context;
what patriarchal arrogance!! :o

Now, the ^_^ "anti-christ", is all us :) Christians.

Upvote 0

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
what patriarchal arrogance!! :o

Now, the ^_^ "anti-christ", is all us :) Christians.

Brother Brigham didn't mince words, and he wasn't exactly known for tact, either. These characteristics are both endearing and embarrassing within the church, and my guess is that the latter is at least part of the reason the Saints are now being told they are no longer accountable for the words of church authorities which do not appear printed in the four standard works.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Brother Brigham didn't mince words, and he wasn't exactly known for tact, either. These characteristics are both endearing and embarrassing within the church, and my guess is that the latter is at least part of the reason the Saints are now being told they are no longer accountable for the words of church authorities which do not appear printed in the four standard works.

This is false. It spins the situation into something you wish were the case. I have provided plenty of scriptures, including Brigham himself, that indicates the same expectation from church leaders and the members themselves. And despite the number of times it is presented the misrepresentation of our doctrines, our beliefs, and our attitudes continues.

I personally think Brigham got it right on this one. No need to sugar-coat it. Those who reject the teachings of Christ are anti-Christ. If I were to walk up and ask the average Christian on the street if a person who rejected the Bible and the teachings within it were anti-Christ I have a strong suspicion that the majority of them would say yes.

I also suspect that in the same situation if asked how they would know if someone spoke the word of God they would answer that they would compare it to the Bible, yet when the LDS do this it is spun into us "no longer being accountable for the words of church authorities." It is shameful that there is a reliance on this continued misrepresentation of us.

:o

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

"I know just as well what to teach this people and just what to say to them and what to do in order to bring them into the celestial kingdom...I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture. Let me have the privilege of correcting a sermon, and it is as good Scripture as they deserve. The people have the oracles of God continually."
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13, p. 95

Upvote 0