Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i couldn't resist. They put out bulbs at Wal-Mart today, for $1. I got a pink hyacinth, a blue hyacinth (I love the smell of hyacinths!), Siberian iris, and daffodils.

They have lots of tulips too, but tulips will never regrow here. Daffodils naturalize nicely, if I can keep the squirrels from getting them! I'm looking for a good spot to start these in the yard when they finish blooming. :)

Spring bulbs are so brief here, but they are the HAPPIEST flowers! I'm looking forward to them!

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
love bulbs..tulips and hyacinth don't do well here (I tried) but have freesias and jonquils, love bluebells, snowflakes and daffodils but need to find more. They are great enmasse.

Dutch Iris also.

my gladioli seem to get rust :-(

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am going to try either dahlias or lilies next in a spare bed as these seem to do well in my climate.

I think it doesn't get cold enough for spring bulbs to do well, as our winters are quite mild and wet.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am going to try either dahlias or lilies next in a spare bed as these seem to do well in my climate.

I think it doesn't get cold enough for spring bulbs to do well, as our winters are quite mild and wet.
We have the warm wet winters as well.

Pretty much only daffodils will naturalize well here. Most anything else has to be kept in pots and given cold storage in winter. That's one reason I don't do many spring bulbs, though they are so CHEERY!

I love dahlias though. I need to get some more. I've been without them for a while. :)

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think we are not going to have much winter.

My large tropicals are back outside, plus a few smalls. Next week they predict two nights in the lower 40s ... I'll bring in the tropicals but leave the roses, bulbs, etc. out.

Not much more carrying plants around, soon, I hope. They tend to get disturbed at being moved.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Looking forward to late summer/autumn to plant some more bulbs.
Theyve become available in garden centres now. However I do think aucklanders are a bit gypped when it comes to spring bulbs since we dont have a cold enough winter for them. I dont want to fuss with putting bulbs in the fridge!

I like the belladona lilies. They call them 'naked ladies' . Other flowers that naturalised here are agapanthus and ...crocosmia which grows like a weed!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
Here, mid- west Europe, spring bulbs are a major garden event. From now until May/June there will something showing. At the moment we've only got snowdrops flowering but the first narcissus will be popping in not many days. Otherwise there are a few damp looking pansies around and the white Hellebore is in flower.
The biggest show at the moment are the hazel catkins, like golden rain coming down when the sun shines on them.
This is a good time to enjoy lichened tree trunks before the leaves come out to put them in the shade and the coloured stems of Cornus before cutting them back in a week or so. Ah and yes cyclamen leaves, in their way, as beautiful as the flowers.
Garden good
><>

Attachments

• Feb 2017a.JPG
    Feb 2017a.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 9
  • feb 2017 d.JPG
    feb 2017 d.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Feb 2017c.JPG
    Feb 2017c.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 7
  • Feb 2017b.JPG
    Feb 2017b.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Love the snowdrops!

It's warm here ... my daffodils/narcissus are already fading a few blooms yet to open but the leaf tips are yellowing.

Right now I have a purple hyacinth I just set in the kitchen window for a few days to perfume the house.

And a LOVELY cyclamen - they are some of my absolute favorites and I always try to encourage ongoing reblooming. Sometimes I am successful.

I also have a tiny little trailing pansy I could not resist. I'm not sure it's suited here - I doubt I can really give it the cool brightness it will want unless it likes air conditioning in a few months ;) but I couldn't resist the chance to try. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and I must plant soon! I have some precious seeds sent me by an online friend, collected from her "morning glory tree". It's in the same family as morning glories, and the flowers look the same. But it's a large perennial shrub/small tree. Hers only gave 5 seeds last year, and she sent them to me. I don't know what colors they might turn out to be, but if I can get a few of them to grow I will be happy about it!

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love the snowdrops!

It's warm here ... my daffodils/narcissus are already fading a few blooms yet to open but the leaf tips are yellowing.

Right now I have a purple hyacinth I just set in the kitchen window for a few days to perfume the house.

And a LOVELY cyclamen - they are some of my absolute favorites and I always try to encourage ongoing reblooming. Sometimes I am successful.

I also have a tiny little trailing pansy I could not resist. I'm not sure it's suited here - I doubt I can really give it the cool brightness it will want unless it likes air conditioning in a few months ;) but I couldn't resist the chance to try. :)

Seems strange to think of being able to grow daffs and 'tropicals' together.
I was interested that you said somewhere that your squirrels bother your daffodils.
Do they actually eat them? We have only the european red squirrel here. They visit the garden quite often but have never show any interest in the daffodils.
Keep us upto date on the Morning Glory Tree try.
><>

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seems strange to think of being able to grow daffs and 'tropicals' together.
I was interested that you said somewhere that your squirrels bother your daffodils.
Do they actually eat them? We have only the european red squirrel here. They visit the garden quite often but have never show any interest in the daffodils.
Keep us upto date on the Morning Glory Tree try.
><>

I think the squirrels do eat the bulbs. It's hard to be sure, but they dig them up and steal them.

I need to figure out what became of my lillies. I had about a dozen or so given me by Church over the past few years, and they were in pots ... someone moved the pots? One was left and is coming up. I thought of them because the squirrels dig them too, but I think just to unearth them.

The squirrels have also put two good-sized holes in the bark of one of my palm trees (and they destroy my Rose of Sharon trees). They are not my favorite beasties ... not in the garden at any rate.

I will update on the morning glory trees - hopefully I will be posting pics of flowers later in the year. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've discovered a new flower that others have thats unusual - the blood lily.

It has massive leaves and is bright red.

My cyclamen are in pots and blooming hot pink now.

Another flower that I'd like to grow is moonflower, which is a kind of morning glory.

My gardening friends didn't believe me when I said we should grow moonflowers with the sunflowers in our community garden (we've got Russian giants). They said is moonflower a real plant, you having us on.

Well, it is!!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
One seems to have come up by its own in my garden..
Have decided to put in blue lupins in my bed in the meant time while wait for lilies, bulbs for lilies are only available round october. Or could put in more dutch iris but that also comes a bit later.

I did plants some muscari or grape hyacinth a few days ago..never had them before.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Things are taking off a bit here. A few of the rose bushes are blooming, the azaleas are out. I have a trailing pansy to try. Last winter's violets I thought were frozen are coming back on their own. The alyssum will be done soon I'm afraid. Hmmmmmm ..... what else? I feel like I'm forgetting something. A habanero pepper that's been overwintered two years now is starting to set flowers. Mostly it's foliage coming out though. Still a bit early for most flowers. Discovered some volunteer tomatoes in last year's buckets - interested to see what they will be. Maybe pure Amelia since that's all that was fruiting late, and a few got caught by freezes.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My daffodils are mostly growing NICE long thick strappy foliage, though the flowers are gone. Spring bulbs are SO brief here. Most of them only last a couple of days.

Sometimes I think I might as well grow tulips, though they probably won't come back. But as cut flowers, they'd probably last longer?

I have to look forward to a bit later though.

Upvote 0