Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm genuinely interested in the situation where it's not your house, but you get a text from a friend saying it's happening (and by "it" I mean the set on fire chucking bricks thing) about 20 miles away by car. Would you grab your gun and drive on over? What if the guys with the bricks and the fires also had guns?

There wouldn't be that scenario...because, if a friend who lives 20 miles away told me that, I'd be like "why are you calling me instead of the police???"

I was referring to if I saw that happening to my next door neighbor.

My other point was, when you have one half of the spectrum who's not condemning this sort of behavior (or going as far as even claiming that it's right and people should just have to deal with it and if they don't like it, their a bad person who must be racist):
ca_protestersconfrontation_082520getty.jpg

there's going to be a harsh counter response where people are going to derive some sort of satisfaction from the thought of seeing this dude get punched in the face.

upload_2020-11-12_20-51-44.png

In the interest of full honestly in disclosure, after watching this video, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have a grin on my face to watch this dude get squashed after trying to intimidate a random woman who was just trying to eat her meal.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-12_20-50-36.png
    upload_2020-11-12_20-50-36.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There wouldn't be that scenario...because, if a friend who lives 20 miles away told me that, I'd be like "why are you calling me instead of the police???"

Good to hear.

I was referring to if I saw that happening to my next door neighbor.

Sure, but that's not the only situation this new law covers. So broadening it a bit, whilst you yourself would not grab your gun and drive over, what would your thoughts be on someone that does?

My other point was, when you have one half of the spectrum who's not condemning this sort of behavior (or going as far as even claiming that it's right and people should just have to deal with it and if they don't like it, their a bad person who must be racist):

Perhaps in future keep arguing that point with someone that disagrees with you (pro tip: that doesn't include me)

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps in future keep arguing that point with someone that disagrees with you (pro tip: that doesn't include me)

I realize that doesn't include you, we've interacted enough on here that I understand that you're reasonable even if we don't agree on everything :)

...but there are people who are trying to justify the behavior, or downplay it. And for the people who are being impacted by it, it makes them more spiteful/resentful.

Basically, it's the reason why people love the "instant karma" videos on the internet. When someone is directly trying to bully or intimidate someone else and they get "put in their place" so to speak...there's the human aspect that makes that "satisfying".

People want to see antifa rioters "get whats coming to them" for the same reason people would derive a certain amount of satisfaction to see a Gay guy punch out a member of Westboro Baptist Church. (especially if one half of the political spectrum were trying to say that Westboro were justified in their approach)

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I realize that doesn't include you, we've interacted enough on here that I understand that you're reasonable even if we don't agree on everything :)

...but there are people who are trying to justify the behavior, or downplay it. And for the people who are being impacted by it, it makes them more spiteful/resentful.

Basically, it's the reason why people love the "instant karma" videos on the internet. When someone is directly trying to bully or intimidate someone else and they get "put in their place" so to speak...there's the human aspect that makes that "satisfying".

People want to see antifa rioters "get whats coming to them" for the same reason people would derive a certain amount of satisfaction to see a Gay guy punch out a member of Westboro Baptist Church. (especially if one half of the political spectrum were trying to say that Westboro were justified in their approach)

Meh. Personally, I like my schadenfreude in word format.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, defending a business against total ruin from scum looters is totally like shooting someone for snoring too loudly. You obfuscate very well.
If you seriously think things (which insurance can probably replace) are worth more than people's lives, even those of looters, then I question what sort of "family values" you hold.

Guess that old adage "things can be replaced, people's lives cannot" doesn't mean anything to you.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Meh. Personally, I like my schadenfreude in word format.

I would agree if that was in response to just words.

However, if someone whips a Molotov cocktail at someone's store and causes damage, I doubt the store owner would get much satisfaction from knowing that the person who did it got pwned in an online debate on facebook later that night...they'd likely much more enjoy seeing the person get some "instant karma"

Upvote 0