Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would say there's a lot of questions that need to be answered about this mid-term cycle by the GOP, but it's pretty obvious what happened. Don't get me wrong, they took the house and will probably pick up the Senate as well, which is a victory for the Republicans by any definition, but the overall results were pretty dismal when compared to what was expected to happen. Ben Shapiro believes that this cycle was about punishing Republicans for weak leadership and weak candidates, to which I agree. With a president and many other Democrats so wildly unpopular, it was the GOP's mid-terms to win or lose.

Conservatives have one person to thank for most of the disappointment that occurred this week: Donald Trump. While Trump is doing victory laps touting that most of those he endorsed won, his supporters have to be honest with themselves. Most of the people he endorsed were no-brainers who were endorsed by pretty much every Republican. The candidates that mattered; the one's Trump hand pick to "buck the system" and primary candidates who had the support of the GOP, had a dismal performance in the general election. You've likely already heard it said that this shows Trump is in the GOP's rear-view mirror. I would agree to some extent, but he's not quit out of the picture yet.

Ron Desantis' stellar performance in Florida has, for many and to the ire of Donald Trump, cemented his status as the new leader of the Republicans. With Trump likely to announce his run for the White House in 2024 next week and Desantis' new found popularity making it highly probably he will do that same, the next two years are going to be interesting to watch as the Republican party attempts to amputate Trump without bleeding to death. It is a given that Trump's ego will not allow him to stand behind Desantis when, in all likelyhood, Trump is defeated in the primaries. Will Desantis be able to convince enough Trump loyalists to vote for him in the general election or will we see a repeat of election denial, aimed at Republicans this time, that splits the party and, once again, costs them an election that is theirs to win or lose?

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Republicans tried to portray Democrats as wildly unpopular. They tried to blame inflation on Democrats when it was a worldwide problem. People didn't believe Republicans would do a better job on inflation. They would try to help the rich again and the poor would be in even worse shape. Young people voted in larger numbers. Gen Z votes were up 30%. The party of old white men doesn't have much to offer young people. The good news is that there will be even more young voters in 2024. Young people don't want authoritarians like DeSantis or Trump. They are much more independent. They want to chart their own course.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say there's a lot of questions that need to be answered about this mid-term cycle by the GOP, but it's pretty obvious what happened. Don't get me wrong, they took the house and will probably pick up the Senate as well, which is a victory for the Republicans by any definition, but the overall results were pretty dismal when compared to what was expected to happen. Ben Shapiro believes that this cycle was about punishing Republicans for weak leadership and weak candidates, to which I agree. With a president and many other Democrats so wildly unpopular, it was the GOP's mid-terms to win or lose.

Conservatives have one person to thank for most of the disappointment that occurred this week: Donald Trump. While Trump is doing victory laps touting that most of those he endorsed won, his supporters have to be honest with themselves. Most of the people he endorsed were no-brainers who were endorsed by pretty much every Republican. The candidates that mattered; the one's Trump hand pick to "buck the system" and primary candidates who had the support of the GOP, had a dismal performance in the general election. You've likely already heard it said that this shows Trump is in the GOP's rear-view mirror. I would agree to some extent, but he's not quit out of the picture yet.

Ron Desantis' stellar performance in Florida has, for many and to the ire of Donald Trump, cemented his status as the new leader of the Republicans. With Trump likely to announce his run for the White House in 2024 next week and Desantis' new found popularity making it highly probably he will do that same, the next two years are going to be interesting to watch as the Republican party attempts to amputate Trump without bleeding to death. It is a given that Trump's ego will not allow him to stand behind Desantis when, in all likelyhood, Trump is defeated in the primaries. Will Desantis be able to convince enough Trump loyalists to vote for him in the general election or will we see a repeat of election denial, aimed at Republicans this time, that splits the party and, once again, costs them an election that is theirs to win or lose?
Mr. Trump is only loyal to himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he started a new political party and ran against them all. He likes to carve his own diabolical path; what ever makes him the most money.
I guess we'll know next week!

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Republicans tried to portray Democrats as wildly unpopular. They tried to blame inflation on Democrats when it was a worldwide problem. People didn't believe Republicans would do a better job on inflation. They would try to help the rich again and the poor would be in even worse shape. Young people voted in larger numbers. Gen Z votes were up 30%. The party of old white men doesn't have much to offer young people. The good news is that there will be even more young voters in 2024. Young people don't want authoritarians like DeSantis or Trump. They are much more independent. They want to chart their own course.

Look, America gave Republicans the house and most likely the Senate in the face of abortion bans, terrible candidates, and Donald Trump. So, they obviously trust, and want, Republicans to do something different than what's been happening. As far as the party of "old white men" goes, it would seem that all the GOP Hispanic and women candidates were getting beat by....old white democrat men, who party leader is....and old white democrat man. Sorry to burst your racist and sexist worldview bubble that only white men can be Republicans, but Hispanic people and women are, and will continue to be, a major driving force behind the Republican party. The outcome in Florida should, at the very least, make you consider that the media and Democrat politicians have been race baiting you for the past decade or two.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Look, America gave Republicans the house and most likely the Senate in the face of abortion bans, terrible candidates, and Donald Trump.

I'm not so sure that the Senate is going to the Republicans. If anything it will once again be a 50/50 split with the VP being the tiebreaker.

I am good with that. It means the Republicans cannot do too much damage at this time.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From everything I'm reading and hearing, abortion was the main reason women
voted democrats. Second, was their hatred for Donald Trump. Without winning
the women's vote, no candidate has a chance.

The next two years of a recession with huge layoffs may change people's thinking,
but we're now a society which depends on government for benefits and means of
living.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The next two years of a recession with huge layoffs may change people's thinking,
but we're now a society which depends on government for benefits and means of
living.

If the recession continues. I see prices of things starting to ease now on some things. I'm not sure a recession is sticking around.

Have to wait and see.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not so sure that the Senate is going to the Republicans. If anything it will once again be a 50/50 split with the VP being the tiebreaker.

I am good with that. It means the Republicans cannot do too much damage at this time.

An incumbent that is forced into a run-off will likely lose, especially considering the 2 percent of the vote that went to the Libertarian candidate will mostly go for Walker.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
An incumbent that is forced into a run-off will likely lose, especially considering the 2 percent of the vote that went to the Libertarian candidate will mostly go for Walker.

We will have to see. Walker is the least qualified candidate that I saw. If he is chosen, then I will agree that America has gone down the tubes.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If the recession continues. I see prices of things starting to ease now on some things. I'm not sure a recession is sticking around.

The Fed just raised interest rates again this past week.

If we look at interest rates for mortgages, we see an increase of houses on the market with no buyers.

Food prices are going up, as I do the food shopping for my family and see the costs
of what it takes to buy groceries these days.

Prices at the pump are going up and the price of diesel fuel is causing a supply
shortage again as truckers can't afford to run their trucks.

This week, Facebook announced it's laying off 11,000 workers.
Amazon announced a hiring freeze.
Automakers are doing the same.

A recession is coming, if we're not already in one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Food prices are going up, as I do the food shopping for my family and see the costs
of what it takes to buy groceries these days.

I'm seeing prices going down.

Prices at the pump are going up and the price of diesel fuel is causing a supply
shortage again as truckers can't afford to run their trucks.

They, gas prices, have been going up and down with the cost of oil and other events. Diesel I agree with.

This week, Facebook announced it's laying off 11,000 workers.
Amazon announced a hiring freeze.
Automakers are doing the same.

I haven't heard any of that. I will have to research it.

The Fed just raised interest rates again this past week.

Okay.

If we look at interest rates for mortgages, we see an increase of houses on the market with no buyers.

Again, ok.

A recession is coming, if we're not already in one.

I think we still have to wait and see.

This was going to happen because of Covid. I knew back in 2020 that this would happen and called it. Now we just have to wait and see.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah hear hear for the party that's not run by old white men, except for Joe Biden, Steny Hoyer, Chuck Schumer, Bernie Sanders, Richard Blumenthal, Tom Carper, Dick Durbin, Tim Kaine, Angus King, Patrick Leahy, Ed Markey etc etc....

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank God we don't have Republicans running things. If i can't afford gas, i want programs targeted for the 99%, not billionaires we hope will let a penny or two trickle down.
Please explain what programs you need that you don't have?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Health care is still out of control. We need improvements to the ACA.
Republican solutions are deregulation-- worry about poisoned food, contaminated water, and sinking coastal water later, and pray you can successfully lay blame on Democrats.

Why should a SWAT team police detective pay $1700 a month for health insurance with a $6000 deductible?

So many families are struggling with this-- and Republican solutions--"we'll lower Merck taxes--keep your fingers crossed" are insulting and offensive

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank God we don't have Republicans running things. If i can't afford gas, i want programs targeted for the 99%, not billionaires we hope will let a penny or two trickle down.

Sorry "thank God"? We as believers know He does not do this for there are Rep and Dem that love believe in Jesus Christ as lord. So truth is since 2020 Dem/Biden have been in office. The way America is right now Rep didn't have much of a hand in. I am sorry but gas was not $5 when Biden took office as he said that was a lie.

So if so many families are struggling right now sorry whos fault is it? Did not the elections just happen? You know nothing is going to change. Biden already said so. No matter what happens in the House or Senate Biden can just say no. There are things regurading the "law" that Congress can not do. They will investigate which hello is there right as it was for the Dem's which did the same. But in the end nothing will happen. I would want balance for we know not all 330 million Americas are Dem or Rep. So praise God we try our best to help all. I know according to the word of God what the great I am is against and any man that is against Him and His word He is not for.

I think this was about Trump vs. Desantis sorry don't mean to get off topic. I don't know if Ron is even running he has not said. Any "so called" threats by Trumps team would be so unwise but I dont see Ron running. He just won huge in Flor and I see him staying there. I like Trump I hope he runs but Ron would be even better I think and would have a better chance of winning I think

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Health care is still out of control. We need improvements to the ACA.
Republican solutions are deregulation-- worry about poisoned food, contaminated water, and sinking coastal water later, and pray you can successfully lay blame on Democrats.

Why should a SWAT team police detective pay $1700 a month for health insurance with a $6000 deductible?

So many families are struggling with this-- and Republican solutions--"we'll lower Merck taxes--keep your fingers crossed" are insulting and offensive

That number seems insanely high for health insurance. Not sure what's going on there, but I pay between 250 and 300 per month for my family, so I'll use that as a baseline. There were thirty million people in the U.S. that did not have health insurance as of 2021. Let's go with the low number of $250 and we have a grand total of 7.5 billion dollars per month to cover the cost of just those without insurance. That's without deductibles or other people who may have private insurance that would want to switch over to the government paid insurance, but let's hear your plans on how you're going to come up with 90 billion dollars per year first.

I'm sure there's more items on your Republican oppressors list. Government paid abortion, perhaps? An abortion, to my surprise, cost up to $750 dollars, but can be less, so we will just say $500 because life is cheap in America, right? There were over 600,000 abortions in 2018, so we will round down to that number, giving us a grand total of $300,000,000. A small price to pay to sacrifice your kids to Molech I'm sure, but that's another nearly quarter of a billion dollars to find for one procedure.

We need to get all those homeless people taken care of too, right? 500,000 homeless x average cost of rent at 1249 per month = $624,500,000 per month. There's a housing shortage going on right now, so you'd probably have to build a bunch of those yourself. Since you're a Democrat, you're not allowed to offer any tax breaks to construction companies to lower costs. That would mean they aren't paying their fair share, so you get pick up the full bill out of your own pocket.

Alright President Fantine. I think this is enough on your plate for now. You're pecking right at a hundred billion dollars per year to PARTIALLY cover these 3 issues. Now, before you go cutting the military budget and raising people's taxes, remember you're waging a proxy war against Russia in Ukraine and you're working with a Republican controlled house. The moderate Democrats in the Senate aren't going to give you what you want either if your policies threaten their reelection bids so let's steer clear of the "Green New Deal" stuff for now, ok? We are all eagerly standing by to hear your plan.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I willlook at the number crunchers in the CBO before yours. This individual has a family plan. Many companies offer health insurance and throw in a few nickels to help pay the cost, especially in red states.
They are looking into the ACA.
The overall savings of universal health care is huge, and there would be premiums.

If you could get healthcare from the government and not have to pay the extra 20 to 25% insurance companies pay wouldn't that be better? Hopefully companies would take what they used to pay as insurance subsidies and add them in to salaries. Or perhaps pay those subsidies towards the government plan another good idea. Our system now is inefficient and ineffective and very expensive we can do better when we realize that we are being conned.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm seeing prices going down.

They, gas prices, have been going up and down with the cost of oil and other events. Diesel I agree with.

I haven't heard any of that. I will have to research it.

Okay.

Again, ok.

I think we still have to wait and see.

This was going to happen because of Covid. I knew back in 2020 that this would happen and called it. Now we just have to wait and see.

I do the food shopping for my wife and myself. The prices have gone up from
my experience, but also from the report on the local news just yesterday.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So you want dependency on government. This is a dangerous mindset.

It's what leads to tyranny.

When the people become dependent on government, the government then
controls them.

Upvote 0