Florida Man Pleads Guilty Hate Crime Against Black Shopper Outside Family Dollar

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Told Deputies ‘If We Don’t Do Anything About Them, They Will Take Over the World’

“There, defendant Roy Lashley asked the clerk if she saw [the black shopper] push him as he walked through the door. The clerk replied ‘no,’ prompting defendant Roy Lashley to again say that D.B. pushed him and that, “that [n-word] needs to be taught a lesson.”

“Surveillance video does not show [the shopper] push or otherwise contact defendant Roy Lashley as they passed one another. The clerk and store manager admonished co-defendants Robert and Roy Lashley for using racial slurs inside the store,” the factual basis of the plea agreement said.

Roy Lashley admitted that he and his brother followed the victim and attacked him, the former with an axe handle and the latter with his fists.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it's unfortunate that this kind of stuff still happens...

And I think the tribalism is an indirect culprit in a lot of this, as that sort of behavior, objectively, is unacceptable in the eyes of most people regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum, but the current environment has made people less likely to call out abhorrent behavior committed by people in "their own political tribe", which emboldens the bad actors as half of the people will turn a blind eye to it (or in some cases, even try to rationalize it) in the name of "defend the people who vote like me at all costs against the people who vote the opposite"

"Party first, common sense & decency second" has created a less than stellar environment in the US.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, it's unfortunate that this kind of stuff still happens...

And I think the tribalism is an indirect culprit in a lot of this, as that sort of behavior, objectively, is unacceptable in the eyes of most people regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum, but the current environment has made people less likely to call out abhorrent behavior committed by people in "their own political tribe", which emboldens the bad actors as half of the people will turn a blind eye to it (or in some cases, even try to rationalize it) in the name of "defend the people who vote like me at all costs against the people who vote the opposite"

"Party first, common sense & decency second" has created a less than stellar environment in the US.

Not just tribalism... Americans are losing civility. Some of it is due to the pandemic and the trauma associated with that, but alot is due to divisive politics.

Upvote 0