Florida Dabbles in Foreign Diplomacy - F SB 264 Forbids Foreign Nationals from Owning Most Property in State

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this even legal?
The bill (Chapter 2023-33, L.O.F.) generally restricts the issuance of government contracts or economic development incentives to, or real property ownership by, foreign principals, which are certain individuals and entities associated with foreign countries of concern. Foreign countries of concern include the People’s Republic of China, the Russian Federation, the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the Republic of Cuba, the Venezuelan regime of Nicolás Maduro, and the Syrian Arab Republic.

With respect to conveyances of real property in this state, the bill generally:
  • Prohibits foreign principals from owning or acquiring agricultural land in the state.
  • Prohibits foreign principals from owning or acquiring any interest in real property within 10 miles of any military installation or critical infrastructure in the state.
  • Prohibits China, Chinese Communist Party or other Chinese political party officials or members, Chinese business organizations, and persons domiciled in China, but who are not citizens or lawful permanent residents of the U.S., from purchasing or acquiring any interest in real property in the state.
  • Provides limited exceptions from the ownership restrictions for the purchase of one residential property that is not on or within 5 miles of any military installation in the state.

That sentiment is echoed by many Chinese residents in the US as laws banning foreign property purchases, most targeting Chinese people, have proliferated around the nation. According to the advocacy group APA Justice, 33 states have proposed or enacted similar bans against ownership of real estate by people of specific national origins. As legislators have revised their bills to address arguments that they are bigoted, some have added exceptions for lawful permanent residents who hold green cards.

On 8 May, Governor Ron DeSantis signed SB 264 into law, a measure that bars almost all property ownership for people or entities from various “countries of concern” including China, Cuba, North Korea and Russia. Under the law, they can’t buy property with some exceptions; individuals who hold a non-tourist visa or have been granted asylum can buy a residence of less than 2 acres (0.8 hectares) if it is at least 5 miles (8km) away from a military base or “critical infrastructure”. The law singles out Chinese people with higher penalties for violation, but it does not apply to those who are naturalized US citizens or who have legal permanent “green card” residency.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would seem as if this bill had bipartisan support in Florida

1690413674966.png

There were only 17 "nays" from the house, despite having 35 democratic house members in their state legislature.

I guess I'm curious as to what the major concern here is. (apart from some people seeing this as a potential dog whistle for bigotry against people from China)

Florida isn't even "first to the dancefloor" on this one.

Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho and Oregon have similar laws preventing foreign entities (especially political ones) from acquiring certain types of property. (a few of which were done in response to the spy balloon incident)

A knee jerk reaction? Perhaps...but I wouldn't press the "racism alarm" button just yet.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is racist. There are no Florida laws against Russians owning property in Florida, so why target Chinese people?

Didn't read the whole OP?

It says, the Russian Federation.

It partly makes sense....if you don't trust the federal government. Foreign nationals can buy land and eminent domain can strip it from them if needed.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's wrong with the Chinese government flying spy balloons, opening Chinese police stations in the US, donating billions of dollars to our schools and buying large swaths of land here? Seems totally okay! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I actually kind of agree with this law on principle. I would probably rather it not specify countries/entities, though.
I think you kinda have to though.

We obviously can't get rid of all of those types of foreign investments.

For instance, I would have zero issues with a Japanese, Canadian, or British entities being able to buy certain types of land. (even farm land)

The countries specified per the article are:
China, Cuba, North Korea and Russia

I would extend the list even further and include the following in the restriction: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Belarus, and Syria

Saudi Arabia is replete with human rights violations, I don't like the idea of us being chummy until they make some reforms. Iran goes without saying...they're in the same hostile category as North Korea, Belarus is a puppet of Russia, so allowing them to still buy would be the equivalent of a straw gun purchase, Putin would be able to easily convince a company in Belarus to make the purchase and let him pull the strings, and Syria is another ally of Putin so they'd be in the same category as Belarus.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,580.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Didn't read the whole OP?

It says, the Russian Federation.

It partly makes sense....if you don't trust the federal government. Foreign nationals can buy land and eminent domain can strip it from them if needed.
Yes, the Russian Federation, as in the government of Russia. Nothing about individual Russians the way it is about individual Chinese residents.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The countries specified per the article are:
China, Cuba, North Korea and Russia

I would extend the list even further and include the following in the restriction: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Belarus, and Syria

Saudi Arabia is replete with human rights violations, I don't like the idea of us being chummy until they make some reforms. Iran goes without saying...they're in the same hostile category as North Korea, Belarus is a puppet of Russia, so allowing them to still buy would be the equivalent of a straw gun purchase, Putin would be able to easily convince a company in Belarus to make the purchase and let him pull the strings, and Syria is another ally of Putin so they'd be in the same category as Belarus.
The first paragraph of the OP includes: Foreign countries of concern include the People’s Republic of China, the Russian Federation, the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the Republic of Cuba, the Venezuelan regime of Nicolás Maduro, and the Syrian Arab Republic.

Saudis still have too much money and influence.

• Informative
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Prohibits China, Chinese Communist Party or other Chinese political party officials or members, Chinese business organizations, and persons domiciled in China, but who are not citizens or lawful permanent residents of the U.S., from purchasing or acquiring any interest in real property in the state.
For this particular part...

Is there any data showing what percentage of the "secret Chinese police" would fall into this category? (I'm sure most of us have heard about these secret police stations that have popped up all over the world) Basically, they're residing in other countries, but still doing the work of the CCP via intimidating Chinese Americans who still have relatives back in China.

There's a unique concern in that aspect with regards to China and Russia that we don't typically have to worry about with other nations of ill-repute.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well maybe look into what LAND any Foreign Nationals own. Its allot! Try to just buy land in say China.. try it. "Foreign investors are not allowed to buy land in China. The land in China".

The man in Florida loves believes in Jesus Christ that came in the flesh. Maybe we should be careful how we speak.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like Florida is ruled by a totalitarian dictator--like most of the news I've heard about Florida in the past year.
The kind of totalitarianism where most people willingly voted a guy in a democratic election (including a lot of blue counties flipping red)? I don't think that's indicative of a totalitarian dictator.

Is anyone willing to consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, some on the left have gone too far left on certain issues and more and more people see conservativism as the lesser of two evils? Or at the very least, saw DeSantis as a bulwark against the excesses of the left?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums