Status
Not open for further replies.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
science adapts but atheists stay stuck
Oh, we can adapt to not believe in any god or gods that might come up. 'Stuck' is not a particularly meaningful or useful description - we're 'stuck' not believing in gods the same way you're stuck not believing in all the things you don't believe in.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
That's a problem with science, there are always changes. It's not stable in the least.
It changes because it continually discovers more about the world, updates our understanding of what was known, and corrects its errors.

Besides, 'science' is still telling you that you are hurtling on a ball in the vacuum of space in multiple directions at over 2 million miles per hour, while a gravitational force that cannot be measured keeps planets, moons, and comets in a predictable orbit, all satellites around the earth in perfect order, the tides a predictable interval, and all while you can't feel or measure any of it.
We can measure the gravitational force - Isaac Newton did that in the 17th century.

If you spent the time to understand the science, you'd understand that it explains why the celestial bodies orbit the way they do (Newton understood) and why you don't feel that movement (it's basically the same reason you don't feel the movement in a car, train, or aircraft cruising at constant speed).

Sorry, I'm not that gullible.
Oh, the irony!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OnePath

Oct 26, 2021
Texas
✟2,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It changes because it continually discovers more about the world, updates our understanding of what was known, and corrects its errors.

We can measure the gravitational force - Isaac Newton did that in the 17th century.

If you spent the time to understand the science, you'd understand that it explains why the celestial bodies orbit the way they do (Newton understood) and why you don't feel that movement (it's basically the same reason you don't feel the movement in a car, train, or aircraft cruising at constant speed).

You mean this Newton?

Tis unconceivable that inanimate brute matter should (without the mediation of something else which is not material) operate upon & affect other matter without mutual contact; as it must if gravitation in the sense of Epicurus be essential & inherent in it. And this is one reason why I desired you would not ascribe {innate} gravity to me. That gravity should be innate inherent & {essential} to matter so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum without the mediation of any thing else by & through which their action or force {may} be conveyed from one to another is to me so great an absurdity that I beleive no man who has in philosophical matters any competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it.
Original letter from Isaac Newton to Richard Bentley (Normalized)

He's stating that gravity pertaining to celestial bodies in a vacuum is so absurd that no one competent would ever even consider it, and that he didn't want such a thought ever associated with him. Funny how I knew this and you didn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Faith is a muscle

Matthew 8:26
Nope. One can just as easily believe wrong ideas as right ones when it comes to faith. People only use "faith" when they do not know. And they are wrong at rather high rate when they make that error. It is better to be honest and say "I do not know".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You mean this Newton?

Tis unconceivable that inanimate brute matter should (without the mediation of something else which is not material) operate upon & affect other matter without mutual contact; as it must if gravitation in the sense of Epicurus be essential & inherent in it. And this is one reason why I desired you would not ascribe {innate} gravity to me. That gravity should be innate inherent & {essential} to matter so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum without the mediation of any thing else by & through which their action or force {may} be conveyed from one to another is to me so great an absurdity that I beleive no man who has in philosophical matters any competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it.
https://www.newtonproject.ox.ac.uk/view/texts/normalized/THEM00258/

He's stating that gravity pertaining to celestial bodies in a vacuum is so absurd that no one competent would ever even consider it, and that he didn't want such a thought ever associated with him. Funny how I knew this and you didn't.
Your link does not work. And yes, as great of a mind as he had Newton did not fully appreciate his work. Others went on after him and added to it. Your poor attempt does nothing to put any doubt on his work at all.

Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
You would have to prove that "spirit" exists to make such a claim be reliable. As written all you have is word salad.

you would have to be spiritual to know it is real

your perspective is that of an atheist

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.