Flat Earth V.S Round Earth? (Also helio/geocentrism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree... that kind of brainwashing takes serious full time scrubbing and rinsing.
When you say stuff like this, you count yourself in with the tin-foil hat crowd. This kind of completely unsubstantiated conspiracy thinking needs to be named and shamed by the church as I believe it actually discredits the gospel by association.

Not only is there not a smidgen of evidence to support your assertion that scientific expertise constitutes "brainwashing", the fact that science is reputable and reliable is manifest every day in thousands of ways.

People in the church need to stop molly-coddling conspiracy-theory types simply because they are fellow believers.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is my only concern. Trying to line up the world view of an ancient people to what we know today isn't. A 5 year old today probably has a better understanding of science and nature then adults in the times of Genesis.
Oh, so you think that they were just dumb shepherds?

Was Luke not a doctor?

A five year old today would not even come close to doing the chores that a five year old in bible times had to do.

How insulting. Moses was highly trained by the Egyptians and Joseph was also.

This mindset is a great example of the arrogance that our culture possesses.

We may have cell phones and laptops, airplanes and bullet trains... but we are no more intelligent than years of the past... In fact, probably, arguably much more foolish.

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2014
✟18,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh, so you think that they were just dumb shepherds?

By our standards today in the fields that I mentioned (science and nature) and understanding the characteristics of the universe? yes. dumb in general? no. I am sure they were some bright people.

Was Luke not a doctor?

If you were sick would you go see Luke, from 2000 years ago, or your family doctor?

A five year old today would not even come close to doing the chores that a five year old in bible times had to do.

Not sure what that has to do with anything? There is no denying life was a lot harder for people in those times. So I can only imagine a 5 year old from then would have a much tougher life then a 5 year old from today.

How insulting. Moses was highly trained by the Egyptians and Joseph was also.

Great. I am sure they were awesome. Still wouldn't trust them today to explain photosynthesis or why rain falls.

This mindset is a great example of the arrogance that our culture possesses.

We may have cell phones and laptops, airplanes and bullet trains... but we are no more intelligent than years of the past... In fact, probably, arguably much more foolish.

Maybe, maybe not. But we have more knowledge, for better or worse.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2014
✟18,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention they told us about forty years ago that we sent people to the moon six times from 1969-1972 when the mission cost about $350 Million? And as of last year NASA admitted that we never have gone past low earth orbit which is 99-1,000 miles...and the moon is about 235,000 miles from earth? Laughable science.

210543_700b_v1.jpg

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I've been reading the Bible for years. We are to have faith in God, that's what the written word speaks to. Somehow man converted the written word into The Word of God. Instead of obeying God the book worshippers would have us obey books?

This is why we still have a flat earth society.
You have proven yourself to be false by contradicting others and yourself: how can you claim to believe in the God is the Bible in one breath and in the next breath say that people ate wrong for telling others to worship and obey the God of The Bible? Read what I shared on the first page of this thread and you'll see that you have no idea what the Bible says concerning the earth or God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible tells us that the earth is a circle and not a sphere. Read my post on the first page of this thread for a detailed answer.
Not the point! I had argued that experts are credible and you replied that Jesus stumped the highly educated Pharisees. That is what I was commenting on. In any event, I suggest it is eminently plausible that either:

1. whoever wrote in the scriptures that the earth is a circle was speaking metaphorically; or
2. whoever wrote in the scriptures that the earth is a circle was speaking literally but was mistaken.

I challenge you to make a credible case that possibility 2 somehow damages the "inspiration" of scripture.

Evolution literally means 'unroll' and biology means a 'study of life': you don't need to be in a university to do this. According to the translation of these words we already experience an unrolling study of our lives as we grow and learn.
It is hard to believe you are being serious, but I fear you are.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not only that but...

The biggest problem that they are facing with the "Mars Mission" is the Van Allen Radiation Belts...

The space shuttle cannot even go any higher than "it is" going due to the massive amounts of radiation that exists in this orbit range.

Astronauts would die, film would be exposed, electronics would be affected, if they were not protected from this severe area of space around our earth..

The mars mission engineers are stumped as to how on earth (ahem) they are going to do this....

However,....in the late 60's and all through the Apollo missions, the space craft went to the moon and back several times with absolutely no ill effects to the men on board or the film in their cameras...as they went, repeatedly through this deadly area of radiation..... cough, cough, cough.

The Van Allen radiation belts are indeed a serious hazard to any astronaut spending an extended time within them. All the earth orbit manned missions' including the international space station' are well below any radiation hazard. However, the manned missions to the moon had to transit the VA belts both outbound and inbound. A lethal radiation dosage is 300 Rad in one hour. At the time of these missions the VA belts had been well mapped out in terms of radiation intensities. The Apollo mission's average speed through the belts was about 25,000 km/hr for a transit time of about 53 min each both outbound and inbound. Each transit would have resulted in crew members receiving about 12 Rads of radiation. So each astronaut on each complete Mission would have received about 24 Rads or about 8% of a lethal dose. Is there a risk? Yes, but it was a calculated risk. All such voyages of exploration were calculated risks. Some never came back. Lief Erikson, Christopher Columbus and Ferdinand Magellan did. Well, Magellan died in the last leg of the journey home, but his crew did make it back with his records. They were all calculated risks. That is how human progress takes place. The risks may vary but they are all risks.

Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the sentiment but it strike as obviously misguided to think you can develop sufficient expertise to assess things like evolution and global warming based on part-time self-study.

What strikes me as shocking as how you think a curious mind works on this stuff only "part time" :) I'm not experienced in Global warming.. But while working at my full-time job I'm constantly thinking about the concepts of a Flat Earth and Evolution being false.
I look forward to seeing you in a post about Evolution in the near future.

Appropriate University training and years of subsequent study and / or work.
Again, it is shockingly obvious, to me at least, that one cannot become an expert in something "part-time", if that something is as complex as evolutionary biology or climate science.

If universities only teach Evolution to be true and the Earth to be spherical, that means they are experts in those subjects only.
Again, the concept I'm getting at is if they are taught lies they learn lies. People don't enjoy testing their belief system. Let's imagine for a moment You believe such lies to be true because you value them to be experts.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When you say stuff like this, you count yourself in with the tin-foil hat crowd. This kind of completely unsubstantiated conspiracy thinking needs to be named and shamed by the church as I believe it actually discredits the gospel by association.

Not only is there not a smidgen of evidence to support your assertion that scientific expertise constitutes "brainwashing", the fact that science is reputable and reliable is manifest every day in thousands of ways.

People in the church need to stop molly-coddling conspiracy-theory types simply because they are fellow believers.
So, you don't think that academia has an anti God agenda?
You don't think that they are teaching our youth "WHAT" to think instead of "HOW" to think?

I also went to school and the arguments that I had with my Professor did not end with me learning how to debate and present my view... no, no, no.. it ended up with me understanding that I will believe what he is force feeding me or I would be "WRONG".

You have no right to condemn me or anyone else for my belief that "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" whatever they are calling it now... is a smoke screen farce.....

You have no right to condemn me or anyone else for my belief that God created Adam as the very first man and proceed to create Eve from his rib, just as indicated in the Holy scriptures. And that Evolution is the lie of Satan to confuse the human race and deflect the glory of God toward some chance event that resulted in chance beings.

Now you call for the church to shame me? Shame me for standing up for the bible the way it was written. Shame me for my rejection of the wisdom of mere men. Men who hate God?

NO, NO..... I am not the one who is discrediting the gospel. I am not the one who is being molly coddled.

It is fear of ridicule, fear of people leaving their flock, fear that they may step on toes or cause people delve into the truth of God more than they do for one hour on Sunday or simple unbelief of the pastor, that is keeping the truth out of the pulpit.

Academia is a cult.... it is poisoning the minds of our kids. It is not teaching them to think it's telling them what to believe...

May GOD be TRUE and every man a LIAR.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Van Allen radiation belts are indeed a serious hazard to any astronaut spending an extended time within them. All the earth orbit manned missions' including the international space station' are well below any radiation hazard. However, the manned missions to the moon had to transit the VA belts both outbound and inbound. A lethal radiation dosage is 300 Rad in one hour. At the time of these missions the VA belts had been well mapped out in terms of radiation intensities. The Apollo mission's average speed through the belts was about 25,000 km/hr for a transit time of about 53 min each both outbound and inbound. Each transit would have resulted in crew members receiving about 12 Rads of radiation. So each astronaut on each complete Mission would have received about 24 Rads or about 8% of a lethal dose. Is there a risk? Yes, but it was a calculated risk. All such voyages of exploration were calculated risks. Some never came back. Lief Erikson, Christopher Columbus and Ferdinand Magellan did. Well, Magellan died in the last leg of the journey home, but his crew did make it back with his records. They were all calculated risks. That is how human progress takes place. The risks may vary but they are all risks.
I don't want to take too much of your time so just go to the 2.50minute mark in this video... You don't just wiz through he Van Allen belts to avoid health and life risks.

youtube mars mission van allen belt - Bing video

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You have proven yourself to be false by contradicting others and yourself: how can you claim to believe in the God is the Bible in one breath and in the next breath say that people ate wrong for telling others to worship and obey the God of The Bible? Read what I shared on the first page of this thread and you'll see that you have no idea what the Bible says concerning the earth or God.
I havnt contradicted myself at all, you are trying to discredit me for being honest. It's not rocket science, I don't belive some of the claims of the authors of the scriptures. In some cases they have different versions of the same events. (Honest people who study the Bible can see the errors). It's not Gods fault that humans wrote contradictory opinions about him, he never claimed that he wrote the Bible books. Jesus left NO writings behind himself. Years after he left, when they realized he wasn't soon returning, they wrote down what they remembered.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.