USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You do not appear to know what Calvinists believe. Or if you do then you've been articulating it very poorly. So how do you come to the conclusion that the five things you mentioned are "Misconceptions About Calvinism"? To know if any one of them is a misconception it is necessary to know what Calvinism is, right?

Calvinism, like most other schools of thought is a spectrum. Why not address the OP? That would be helpful.

I would consider those who are rigid on double, to be hyper, but some who hold to the idea of double would object to being labeled as such. That is the reason for my clarification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Calvinism, like most other schools of thought is a spectrum. Why not address the OP? That would be helpful.
I do not think that they are misconceptions as much as they are inventions. A fantasy concocted to make this thread look busy.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I do not think that they are misconceptions as much as they are inventions. A fantasy concocted to make this thread look busy.

Either address the OP as it's laid out or visit another thread. Making off topic comments is both inconsiderate and against forum rules.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You need to think a bit harder on that. You must answer the very same question. Your "side" has the same, "problem". In fact, it's a far more difficult one. It leads only to the conclusion that God is unjust, if followed to its logical conclusion.

I haven't stated a side. I do think my question is a valid question given the content of the OP I mean. If there is no answer for it, that's okay, but it does explain why so many are not Calvinists maybe?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't stated a side. I do think my question is a valid question given the content of the OP I mean. If there is no answer for it, that's okay, but it does explain why so many are not Calvinists maybe?

There are general two sides. Do you hold some unusual position regarding God's sovereignty in election?

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are general two sides. Do you hold some unusual position regarding God's sovereignty in election?

My 'side' or rather point of view isn't unusual to me. Why won't you answer the question?

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's part of your problem if you think the only choices are either Calvinism or Arminianism and nothing else. Calvinism and Arminianism are BOTH partly right and partly wrong.
Why Ravi Zacharias rejects Calvinism

Reactions: jax5434
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My 'side' or rather point of view isn't unusual to me. Why won't you answer the question?

Firstly, this dilemma is not peculiar to Calvinists. If Christ died only for the *possibility* of salvation, which, at the end of the day depends on men's choice of God rather than His choice of them, then God created millions without the choice to truest Christ for salvation, as He intentionally made them born in lands which never heard the gospel, for starters.

In the other side's view, He knew, prior to creating millions of people, that they would reject forgiveness in Christ, yet He made them anyway. Knowing that they would end up eternal condemned, He created them. Do you see that?

If you can begin to see that, I'll be happy to answer further what "my side" does with this "problem".

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What if God ordained both the ends and the means?
What use or purpose in playing a game of chess if all the moves and the winner and loser already predetermined before hand? What purpose is there if God created the world, put man in the world with everything that happens predetermined? Giving commands would pointless and useless for man could only do what he was predetermined to do. Judgment is useless and unjust for again man can only do what he was predetermined to do.

Yet God created man with free will and allows man to use that free will. And it is God's desire that His creation use his free will to love, serve and obey Him. Therefore giving commands guides man to use free will the right way. Judgement makes sense when man abuses that free will in choosing wrong. Evangelism allows man to use his God given free will in choosing to obey, love God or disobey.

• Agree
Reactions: -V-
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes. For His glory.

“I will harden Pharaoh’s heart so that he will pursue them. Then I will receive glory by means of Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am Yahweh.” So the Israelites did this.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭14:4‬ ‭
So God is a moral monster according to Calvinism, even though the OP denied it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You can't ignore other passages that state Pharaoh hardened his own heart, though.
Exodus 8:15, Exodus 8:32, Exodus 9:34.

See this article:
Who Hardened Pharaoh's Heart?
(Spoiler: in the Hebrew language, "God hardened Pharaoh's heart," means God allowed it to be hardened; it doesn't mean God forced it on Pharaoh.)

The fact that Calvinism has God forcing one to disobey just so God can then punish him for his disobedience God forced him to do has God being the moral monster the OP denied Calvinism makes Him.

If parents forced their children to disobey them just so the parents could punish the children, would not these parents be looked at as "monsters"? Unjust, sadistic monsters? Sure.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, this dilemma is not peculiar to Calvinists. If Christ died only for the *possibility* of salvation, which, at the end of the day depends on men's choice of God rather than His choice of them, then God created millions without the choice to truest Christ for salvation, as He intentionally made them born in lands which never heard the gospel, for starters.

In the other side's view, He knew, prior to creating millions of people, that they would reject forgiveness in Christ, yet He made them anyway. Knowing that they would end up eternal condemned, He created them. Do you see that?

If you can begin to see that, I'll be happy to answer further what "my side" does with this "problem".

I see and understand the argument you are making, yes. And it of course then veers into a separate debate of whether those who have not heard the gospel and given a chance to know and accept the Christ and the salvation he offers can still go to heaven. The Apostle Paul does point to that possibility: "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse" (Romans 1:20).

But even if that is too vague, it could be argued that those born into non-Christian cultures and environments at least have a chance to hear and accept the word and be saved. And even if we Christians fail to reach them, they are not automatically condemned from conception.

Strict Calvinism insists that they are.

So what is the purpose of evangelism if who will be saved is preordained even before the human is on the way?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
what is the purpose of evangelism if who will be saved is preordained even before the human is on the way?

Firstly, God has commanded it. Secondly, the proclamation of the gospel is the *means* which God has chosen to gather in His sheep.

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? (Romans 10:14)​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
But even if that is too vague, it could be argued that those born into non-Christian cultures and environments at least have a chance to hear and accept the word and be saved. And even if we Christians fail to reach them, they are not automatically condemned from conception.

How are men saved?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So God is a moral monster according to Calvinism, even though the OP denied it.
I personally don't believe that this verse makes Him a moral monster.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What use or purpose in playing a game of chess if all the moves and the winner and loser already predetermined before hand? What purpose is there if God created the world, put man in the world with everything that happens predetermined? Giving commands would pointless and useless for man could only do what he was predetermined to do. Judgment is useless and unjust for again man can only do what he was predetermined to do.

Yet God created man with free will and allows man to use that free will. And it is God's desire that His creation use his free will to love, serve and obey Him. Therefore giving commands guides man to use free will the right way. Judgement makes sense when man abuses that free will in choosing wrong. Evangelism allows man to use his God given free will in choosing to obey, love God or disobey.
Was the question at the start of your post one where you expect an answer?

• Haha
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Was the question at the start of your post one where you expect an answer?

What I honestly can't believe is that after so many corrections - countless corrections, the straw men are still unchanged.

We are still left wanting an argument against Calvinism in this thread. As usual, all we have are scarecrows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, God has commanded it. Secondly, the proclamation of the gospel is the *means* which God has chosen to gather in His sheep.

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? (Romans 10:14)​

And if only the predestined sheep are called, why are there other sheep at all?

Upvote 0