Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Below are 5 common misconceptions about Calvinism. Please post either in either pro or anti arguments on any of these 5 misconceptions. (yes, they are all misconceptions)

1. It kills evangelism

2. It is a man-made doctrine

3. It eliminates free will and human responsibility

4. It promotes “easy believism”

5. It makes God a moral monster

I don't embrace Calvinist doctrine to any serious degree, but then I don't embrace a lot of doctrines established by congregations or denominations to any serious degree. I have happily worshiped with Calvinist congregations and had no doubt whatsoever that I was among Christians. And I have no problem with those who embrace the Calvinist doctrines.

But let me play devil's advocate for a bit.

The one burning question I think for Calvinists to answer is how can a loving God allow people to be born who have no chance for salvation from the moment of conception?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
When I come across a person who lives immorally, cheats on their taxes, bullies their family, etc, then goes to church every Sunday morning, there's a 99% chance that person is Calvinist.

This is so far out there, there is no need for me to reply other than to let you know that it's also in violation of the rules.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The one burning question I think for Calvinists to answer is how can a loving God allow people to be born who have no chance for salvation from the moment of conception?

That's a question for all, not just Calvinists.

Upvote 0

tryintogrow

ContraryTwit
Sep 11, 2006
✟11,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm really confused as to how my comment was a violation of the rules. It was just an observation from my personal life. I'm not trying to slander anyone.

I see how much good it did for me to offer an outsider's view. I'll see myself out now.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a question for all, not just Calvinists.

Not really for those who do not accept is as any kind of truth. And yet it is the very heart of the predestination doctrine.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Not really for those who do not accept is as any kind of truth. And yet it is the very heart of the predestination doctrine.

You need to think a bit harder on that. You must answer the very same question. Your "side" has the same, "problem". In fact, it's a far more difficult one. It leads only to the conclusion that God is unjust, if followed to its logical conclusion.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You can't ignore other passages that state Pharaoh hardened his own heart, though.
Exodus 8:15, Exodus 8:32, Exodus 9:34.

See this article:
Who Hardened Pharaoh's Heart?
(Spoiler: in the Hebrew language, "God hardened Pharaoh's heart," means God allowed it to be hardened; it doesn't mean God forced it on Pharaoh.)
I haven't ignored them. But I'm sure God trumped Pharoah.

• Haha
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Below are 5 common misconceptions about Calvinism. Please post either in either pro or anti arguments on any of these 5 misconceptions. (yes, they are all misconceptions)

1. It kills evangelism

2. It is a man-made doctrine

3. It eliminates free will and human responsibility

4. It promotes “easy believism”

5. It makes God a moral monster

I think all five points make perfect sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You jumped into the middle of something, and no, you don't have the context right. That's obvious to me. You know, the guy who wrote the post you've misunderstood.
The problem of course is that I have understood it quite well. As have, and will ,everyone else following this thread.

God Bless
Jax

• Agree
Reactions: -V-
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why isn't double predestination a part of the kind of Calvinism that this thread is about?

Sorry. I misunderstood. Yes, it is part of it; however, these arguments are presented against true Calvinism, not just "hyper-Calvinism".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Oh, Hammster is sure. I guess that's all the proof anyone needs.
That, and the scripture that clearly supports it.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry. I misunderstood. Yes, it is part of it; however, these arguments are presented against true Calvinism, not just "hyper-Calvinism".
What makes double predestination "hyper-calvinism"? It appears to be part of the package.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What makes double predestination "hyper-calvinism"? It appears to be part of the package.

Many Calvinists don't speak in terms of "double predestination", but I misspoke. It's not just hypers who speak of double predestination.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many Calvinists don't speak in terms of "double predestination", but I misspoke. It's not just hypers who speak of double predestination.
You do not appear to know what Calvinists believe. Or if you do then you've been articulating it very poorly. So how do you come to the conclusion that the five things you mentioned are "Misconceptions About Calvinism"? To know if any one of them is a misconception it is necessary to know what Calvinism is, right?

Upvote 0