Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No Acts 15 is not just about circumcision. The question the apostles considered was from the Pharisaic believers who insisted that "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.” The answer the apostles gave was No they didn't: "Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”
Nice to meet you swordsman1,

I do not wish to discuss this topic here as it is not the OP topic of discussion.

APOLOGIES to STEVE, I only wanted to make the point that no one has God's Spirit or Spiritual gifts while KNOWINGLY breaking any of God's Commandments which is on topic. I will adress your post briefly once here but you may wish to discuss it somewhere else. I will be happy to discuss it in detail.

Let's look at the scriptures and the CONTEXT.

WHAT IS THE QESTION BEING CONSIDERED IN ACTS 15?

ACTS 15
[1], And certain men who came down from Judea taught the brethren, and said, Except you be circumcised after the manner of Moses, you cannot be saved.

NOTE: ACTS 15:1 is the question that needs to be answered and the topic of conversation and CONTEXT of the chapter of ACTS 15. Here we have Jewish believers coming to Paul and Barnabas saying if the new GENTILES believers are not circumcised and made proselytes then they cannot be saved. This is the chapter context and issue of contention.

[2], When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

NOTE: ACTS 15:2 there was much arguing over the claims of the Jewish believers who are claiming that unless the gentiles are circumcised they cannot be saved. They then determined that Paul and Barnabas must go to Jerusalem to the Apostles and elders ABOUT THIS QUESTION.

Which question? Weather your salvation depends on being CIRCUMCISED.

They then travelled to Jerusalem about this question to determine if new gentile believers needed to be CIRCUMCISED in order to be saved. Once they got to Jerusalem, the question was then asked and the discussion continued with the Pharasees stating their cas first..

[5], But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees who believed, saying, It is needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

NOTE: Where does the law of CIRCUMCISION come from? Yep you guessed it the law of Moses. The law of CIRCUMCISION is not the 10 COMMANDMENTS. The law of CIRCUMCISIONS is from the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT * EXODUS 24:7.

ACTS 15 CONTEXT and chapter topic; v1-2 IS CIRCUMCISION FROM THE LAW OF MOSES A REQUIREMENT FOR SALVATION? That is the within scripture and chapter CONTEXT v1-3. They went to JERUSALEM about this question v2. NOT wheather they should break God's 10 COMMANDMENTS.
The 4th commandment doesn't say the Sabbath must be observed on a Saturday. The commandment was that no one was to work on the Sabbath. “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you."
Of course it does. God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH has been kept every SEVENTH DAY since it was given to ISRAEL. You may want to let all the JEWS and the NATION of ISRAEL know who have been keeping it on Saturday for 1000's of years already. The SEVENTH DAY of the week is SATURDAY. [Actually according to God's time it is FRIDAY sunset to SATURDAY sunset]

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.
Do you keep that commandment and do absolutely no work on the Sabbath? That includes anyone who works for you. Would you switch on a light on a Saturday and in doing so employ thousands of people who work to provide the electricity?
The Pharisees had this kind of attitude to the Sabbath with all their man-made laws that made Sabbath keeping a burden to the people as if mankind was made for the Sabbath.

Jesus came and taught that man was not made for the Sabbath but that the Sabbath was made for mankind and he was the Lord of it (Mark 2:27-28) and it is lawful to do GOOD on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-12).

Hope this helps

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
Let's look at the scriptures and the CONTEXT.

WHAT IS THE QESTION BEING CONSIDERED IN ACTS 15?

ACTS 15
[1], And certain men who came down from Judea taught the brethren, and said, Except you be circumcised after the manner of Moses, you cannot be saved.

NOTE: ACTS 15:1 is the question that needs to be answered and the topic of conversation and CONTEXT of the chapter of ACTS 15. Here we have Jewish believers coming to Paul and Barnabas saying if the new GENTILES believers are not circumcised and made proselytes then they cannot be saved. This is the chapter context and issue of contention.

[2], When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

NOTE: ACTS 15:2 there was much arguing over the claims of the Jewish believers who are claiming that unless the gentiles are circumcised they cannot be saved. They then determined that Paul and Barnabas must go to Jerusalem to the Apostles and elders ABOUT THIS QUESTION.

Which question? Weather your salvation depends on being CIRCUMCISED.

They then travelled to Jerusalem about this question to determine if new gentile believers needed to be CIRCUMCISED in order to be saved. Once they got to Jerusalem, the question was then asked and the discussion continued with the Pharasees stating their cas first..

[5], But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees who believed, saying, It is needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

NOTE: Where does the law of CIRCUMCISION come from? Yep you guessed it the law of Moses. The law of CIRCUMCISION is not the 10 COMMANDMENTS. The law of CIRCUMCISIONS is from the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT * EXODUS 24:7.

ACTS 15 CONTEXT and chapter topic; v1-2 IS CIRCUMCISION FROM THE LAW OF MOSES A REQUIREMENT FOR SALVATION? That is the within scripture and chapter CONTEXT v1-3. They went to JERUSALEM about this question v2. NOT wheather they should break God's 10 COMMANDMENTS.

The Pharisaic believers in Jerusalem added to the original question. It wasn't just should the gentiles be circumcised. It was "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.” That was the matter considered by the apostles.

The law of Moses includes the 10 commandments.

Of course it does. God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH has been kept every SEVENTH DAY since it was given to ISRAEL. You may want to let all the JEWS and the NATION of ISRAEL know who have been keeping it on Saturday for 1000's of years already. The SEVENTH DAY of the week is SATURDAY. [Actually according to God's time it is FRIDAY sunset to SATURDAY sunset]

No the actual commandment given was to keep the Sabbath holy by not doing any work on that day. There is no commandment to observe it only on a Saturday.

The Pharisees had this kind of attitude to the Sabbath with all their man-made laws that made Sabbath keeping a burden to the people as if mankind was made for the Sabbath.

Jesus came and taught that man was not made for the Sabbath but that the Sabbath was made for mankind and he was the Lord of it (Mark 2:27-28) and it is lawful to do GOOD on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-12).

Right. So it is not essential for gentiles to abstain from work on the sabbath.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sorry last one Steve then back to Spiritual gifts....

The Pharisaic believers in Jerusalem added to the original question. It wasn't just should the gentiles be circumcised. It was "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.” That was the matter considered by the apostles.The law of Moses includes the 10 commandments.

The law of CIRCUMCISION is part of the law of MOSES. They were arguing that CIRCUMCISION from the law of MOSES is a requirement for salvation and were required to keep the law of MOSES. The MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7 is NOT the 10 COMMANDMENTS which was the work of God alone written on two tables of stone.

YOU have your shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT (EXODUS 24:7) mixed up with God's eternal law that give us a KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTOUENESS (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; Psalms 119:172).

No the actual commandment given was to keep the Sabbath holy by not doing any work on that day. There is no commandment to observe it only on a Saturday.

And your saying no to what? Your saying no to God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH being kept every SEVENTH DAY since it was given to ISRAEL and that ISRAEL have already been keeping it for 1000's of years already?

So your saying that Jesus and all the Apostles kept the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH on the wrong day of the week? In that way of thinking according to you the seventh day Sabbath is any day of the week. Never heard any one spin that one before. Not sure I would want to gamble with that one come judgment day. Jesus is our example and he kept the Sabbath on Saturday [FRIDAY EVENING to SATURDAY EVENING] thats good enough for me.

Right. So it is not essential for gentiles to abstain from work on the sabbath.

That does not make any sense. Read the 4th Commandment. It does not say you are free to do your own work on the Sabbath. It says it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. You work your own work you break it.

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4)
Those who CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

swordsman1, probably good to let the thread go on topic so this is the last one for me. I will let you have the last word as you probably need it more then me.

Apologies to Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God's Spirit and his gifts are never given to those knowingly practicing sin or breaking God's commandments (Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19). Don't you teach God's 10 commandments are abolished ?
I am mostly ignoring you on this topic. I'm glad others have jumped in to reply. But I wanted to say that you have not made your point here. The Bible does not confirm your opinion on this. Just to be clear, I'm not promoting sin as you like to claim. But I don't think there is a case to be made for God withholding gifts, or his Spirit, to anyone.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am mostly ignoring you on this topic. I'm glad others have jumped in to reply. But I wanted to say that you have not made your point here. The Bible does not confirm your opinion on this. Just to be clear, I'm not promoting sin as you like to claim. But I don't think there is a case to be made for God withholding gifts, or his Spirit, to anyone.

Well we can agree to disagree. I believe God's WORD is very clear on this. No one has God's Spirit while breaking his commandments this is why the scriptures provided earlier say that repentance from sin (breaking God's commandments) is one of the requirements for receiving God's Spirit. You cannot receive God's spiritual gifts without receiving his Spirit now can you?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well we can agree to disagree. I believe God's WORD is very clear on this. No one has God's Spirit while breaking his commandments this is why the scriptures provided earlier say that repentance from sin (breaking God's commandments) is one of the requirements for receiving God's Spirit. You cannot receive God's spiritual gifts without receiving his Spirit now can you?
Your claim is a house of cards. You are all over the place. This is pretty much on topic, so don't be shy. Where's your proof?

I also want to hear your take on the five kinds of tongues. I'm pretty sure you don't agree with that either. Tongues is a wonderful blessing. You should seek the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:11
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your claim is a house of cards. You are all over the place. This is pretty much on topic, so don't be shy. Where's your proof?

I also want to hear your take on the five kinds of tongues. I'm pretty sure you don't agree with that either. Tongues is a wonderful blessing. You should seek the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:11
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Not really Steve, your only providing your own word's over God's WORD.

ACT 2:38 [38], Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

REPENTANCE from sin is a requirement for receiving God's Spirit and his gifts.

I am only here to make the comment that none receive God's spiritual gifts while living a life of known unrepentant sin. I do not disagree that there are spiritual gifts. Though not all have the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is not a topic to debate whether tongues are for today.

The purpose of this topic is to explore the different kinds of tongues.
If you have other kinds to add to the list, you are welcome to share.
This list of five are the basic ones that I know about.

I have seen many uniformed comments about tongues on the forum.
Many have the idea that there is only one kind of tongues.
This topic is intended to inform those with a limited understanding of this subject.

Five Different Kinds of Tongues
1)
Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
3) Prophetic prayer language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
4) Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
5) Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scriptural Support

> Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God

Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

> Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit

Ephesians 6:18
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

> Prophetic prayer language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation

1 Corinthians 14:5
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

> Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity

1 Corinthians 14:15
So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.

> Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)

No scriptural example for this except the outpouring at Pentecost.
But some have made the valid point that the tongues spoken were not evangelistic, but rather praise and worship. The final effect of it was evangelistic, but not the tongues themselves. And I don't personally accept the interpretive hearing theory.

As a pentecostal myself I can only accept that which I read. The historic church has always had a progressive absence on tongues to a point it is rejected completely (citing its own historic absence as proof) but if I truly am a "sola scriptura" believer how can I reject tongues as scripture makes no responsible indication that they will cease?

With that said charismatics go to the other irresponsible corner and make outlandish interpretations from little information (sounds like the cessationist) or add in the spirit to something and put emotional responses over biblical. I feel it, so it must be true, now let's find some scripture to back it up (sounds like the cessationist again) Let's not be guilty of the same parlour tricks we accuse cessationist of.

Tongues is what we see in Acts by way of the baptism of the HS and what we see in 1 Corinthians 12-14 by way of Spiritual gifts. They defy each other as Acts tongues doesn't follow the rules laid out by Paul (for example Acts tongues is pour out indiscriminately where Paul's rules are quite intentionally discriminate) Let's let these scriptures inform us about tongues and leave the other verses where they are.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
We seem to have gone off course from the OP, but I'd like to address it again, and add one to your list.
Five Different Kinds of Tongues
1)
2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
3) Prophetic prayer language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
4) Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
5) Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)
6) Spiritual warfare.
In the first 5 points, the communication is between God and man, or man and God, but I am talking about addressing the enemy, often a demonic strongman in the heavens.

I guess it could be classified as tongues of angels, and the Spirit knows it will be understood by that enemy.

• Agree
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
Sorry last one Steve then back to Spiritual gifts....

Same here.

he law of CIRCUMCISION is part of the law of MOSES. They were arguing that CIRCUMCISION from the law of MOSES is a requirement for salvation and were required to keep the law of MOSES. The MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7 is NOT the 10 COMMANDMENTS which was the work of God alone written on two tables of stone.

YOU have your shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT (EXODUS 24:7) mixed up with God's eternal law that give us a KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTOUENESS (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; Psalms 119:172).

No the Pharisaic believers were arguing that the gentiles also had to obey the whole Law of Moses as well as be circumcised. It says so plainly in Acts 15:5. That includes the 10 commandments. If it was just circumcision that was the issue then Peter's answer would not have made sense. He said for centuries it was a yoke that the Jews have not been able to bear. If it was just circumcision he was referring to then he would have been lying - it was easy for the Jews to keep the circumcision law.

Peter says 'No' to the gentiles having to keep the Law of Moses, including the 10 commandments.

And your saying no to what? Your saying no to God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH being kept every SEVENTH DAY since it was given to ISRAEL and that ISRAEL have already been keeping it for 1000's of years already?

I'm saying that the 10 commandments do not command that the Sabbath must only be observed on a particular day of the week. The commandment was only for people not to work on the Sabbath.

That does not make any sense. Read the 4th Commandment. It does not say you are free to do your own work on the Sabbath. It says it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. You work your own work you break it.

Yes it was lawful to perform necessary work on the Sabbath (such as pulling a sheep out of a pit). But there are be plenty of times you use electricity when it is not a necessity, and in so doing employ others. If you turn on a light to read a novel on a Saturday, or turn on the TV to watch a film, then according to you that would be sin.

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4)
Those who CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

Yes James says we are all guilty of breaking the Law. But he does not say we are now obligated to keep the law. That would be legalism.

Read the verse immediately before Romans 7:7:
Rom 7:6 "we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."
The word lawlessness (ἀνομίαν) in 1 John 3:4 does not refer to breaking the Law of Moses. It means to practice iniquity. In the NT the word is never associated with the Mosaic Law. And the theme of the Mosaic Law is completely absent from John's epistle.

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God.

Sunday worship was endorsed by Paul in Acts 20:7. There is no commandment that forbids worshiping on a Sunday. Certainly not Exodus 20:8.

We worship on Sundays in celebration of the Christ's resurrection. Nowhere does it say Christians are to continue to meet on Saturdays as the Jews did. And nor did they. Sunday is not a replacement for the old Jewish sabbath.

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Acts 15 says we are no longer under any obligation to keep the sabbath. We have been released from the Law (Rom 7:6).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
As a pentecostal myself I can only accept that which I read. The historic church has always had a progressive absence on tongues to a point it is rejected completely (citing its own historic absence as proof) but if I truly am a "sola scriptura" believer how can I reject tongues as scripture makes no responsible indication that they will cease?

I would reply to that but the OP has requested this topic not be about cessationism. But we've been down that road before anyway.

Tongues is what we see in Acts by way of the baptism of the HS and what we see in 1 Corinthians 12-14 by way of Spiritual gifts. They defy each other as Acts tongues doesn't follow the rules laid out by Paul (for example Acts tongues is pour out indiscriminately where Paul's rules are quite intentionally discriminate) Let's let these scriptures inform us about tongues and leave the other verses where they are.

I don't see any difference between the tongues of Acts and 1 Corinthians. Only the circumstances differed.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have the Spirit of prophey. Not all have the same gifts. If you teach God's LAW is abolished then how can you have God's Spirit when if you break God's LAW you commit sin and it is sin that separates us from God?
If one is no longer under the law for righteousnes when they have faith in Christ.
And the law is not of faith.
And whatsoever is not of faith is sin...
And the law is not made for a righteous man
And since one is righteous by Christ.....then who is really living in sin?

• Winner
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If one is no longer under the law for righteousnes when they have faith in Christ.
And the law is not of faith.
And whatsoever is not of faith is sin...
And the law is not made for a righteous man
And since one is righteous by Christ.....then who is really living in sin?

You do not know what is means to be "UNDER THE LAW". To be UNDER THE LAW from ROMANS 3:19 means to be condemned by it and standing guilty before God of sin. Who is really living in sin? Any one who is breaking God's LAW because they are still under it and stand guilty before God of Sin.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

With that said charismatics go to the other irresponsible corner and make outlandish interpretations from little information (sounds like the cessationist) or add in the spirit to something and put emotional responses over biblical. I feel it, so it must be true, now let's find some scripture to back it up (sounds like the cessationist again) Let's not be guilty of the same parlour tricks we accuse cessationist of.

That's good.
Imagine if the Corinthian church had not been "swinging from the chandeliers" we wouldn't have first Corinthians chapters twelve through fourteen. Where most of our info about the gifts comes from. However, I found other references helpful as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We seem to have gone off course from the OP, but I'd like to address it again, and add one to your list.

6) Spiritual warfare.
In the first 5 points, the communication is between God and man, or man and God, but I am talking about addressing the enemy, often a demonic strongman in the heavens.

I guess it could be classified as tongues of angels, and the Spirit knows it will be understood by that enemy.
That's a good point, I agree.
I guess I was thinking that would go under #2 Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit, but I think you are onto something here.

Spiritual warfare prayer, whether in tongues or your own language is different from all other prayer. And who would no better what needs to be said to be effective than the Spirit. The more I think about this the MORE that I agree. Great point!

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

Sorry to go on topic here but does anyone have any personal experience with this? Is this one of those prayers where all you can do is grieve or cry aloud?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to go on topic here but does anyone have any personal experience with this? Is this one of those prayers where all you can do is grieve or cry aloud?
I should have found a better scripture for this type. The groaning prayer is a subcategory of a personal prayer language, from my perspective. I have experienced this when I was beside myself about WHAT to pray and just let the Spirit do it. More likely that it might begin as groaning but then progress into the more common type of personal prayer language. I have learned to use it as a first response instead of a last resort.

One of the problems is that the Bible simply doesn't give us a lot of information about the workings of these things. This is partly why I feel we need topics like this to discuss it.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really Steve, your only providing your own word's over God's WORD.

ACT 2:38 [38], Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

REPENTANCE from sin is a requirement for receiving God's Spirit and his gifts.

I am only here to make the comment that none receive God's spiritual gifts while living a life of known unrepentant sin. I do not disagree that there are spiritual gifts. Though not all have the same.
Translation: You got nuthin'

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

You came on this thread with a direct attack against me due to my position on the Ten Commandments. My position on the Ten Commandments does not make me a sinner.

The Bible says that we are under the new covenant. The TCs are the old covenant. I have every right as a Christian to believe that and not be accused of sin because of it.

You still have nothing to say about the five kinds of tongues? Have you met Jesus, the baptizer in the Holy Spirit. He wants to light you up.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Scripture?
It shouldn't need specific scriptures, as using the gift of tongues against the enemy is just logical application of biblical principles.
But if you need some help, I'll try my best.

We are obviously called to spiritual warfare in Eph6. one of the principle offensive weapons being the Sword of the Spirit.

Just to be clear, using the sword of the spirit doesn't mean waving an imaginary sword in the air as I have seen some do. Nor does it mean just quoting random scriptures at the enemy. The demons know the bible better than we do.

Eph6 tells us that the Sword of the Spirit is the word of God, which, in contradiction of popular teaching, doesn't mean your bible!
In Eph6v17. "Word" comes from the Greek "Rhema".
Here's what Strong's says about Rhema.

rhéma: a word, by impl. a matter
Original Word: ῥῆμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: rhéma
Phonetic Spelling: (hray'-mah)
Short Definition: a thing spoken
Definition: a thing spoken, (a) a word or saying of any kind, as command, report, promise, (b) a thing, matter, business.

So we can see an effective spiritual sword needs words that flow direct from the Spirit of God, not our minds, and not just waving our arsenal of bible verses about.
That's where the gift of tongues is so wonderful, in that it bypasses the mind and flows direct from the spirit, just as Paul says.-
1Cor14v15What then is it? I will pray with the spirit, but also I will pray with the mind. I will sing praise with the spirit, but also I will sing praise with the mind.

So as it often ends up above my mental pay grade, when doing warfare against demonic strongholds at a higher level, I usually revert to the gift of tongues, tongues of angels to be precise. And it produces results.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0