Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I personally would like to share about how "first of all" in this scripture has gotten my attention, recently. But others are welcome to share and discuss about however you are blessed with 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

1 Timothy 2:1 says >

"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men," (1 Timothy 2:1)

To me, now, this can mean we need to "first of all" pray, in dealing with anything and anybody. Pray with hope for any and all people > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

So, in case a person is a problem for me, including a politician, "first of all" I need to pray with love and hope for the person, not first just criticize him or her or try to think of how to control a problem person.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This verse says to pray for "all men". And God tells us to do this. So, if God tells us to pray for any and all people, "first of all" > I consider this means prayer is what God knows will work, and even can do the most good > perhaps more good than a number of big-name politicians and difficult family members can do, and even some number of public ministers might be able to do.

And if Paul says to pray, "first of all", for any and all people > possibly, also, this obedient prayer can do more than what people with a lot of money and influence can do.

And, of course, this can mean we care about others as much as we care about our own selves > loving our neighbor as ourselves. So, this means caring prayer not only about our own selves and ones closer to us >

"For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46)

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think one should look into each "petitions, prayers, intercessions,".. just one.. petitions.. does not the word say if we KNOW God hears us then we know we have the PETITIONS we asked for.. His WORD is His will..

So.. maybe help others the difference with "petitions" vs "prayers" vs "intercessions" <----this alone doing takes allot of time :)

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I personally would like to share about how "first of all" in this scripture has gotten my attention, recently. But others are welcome to share and discuss about however you are blessed with 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men," (1 Timothy 2:1)

To me, now, this can mean we need to "first of all" pray, in dealing with anything and anybody. Pray with hope for any and all people > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

So, in case a person is a problem for me, including a politician, "first of all" I need to pray with love and hope for the person, not first just criticize him or her or try to think of how to control a problem person.
That is a good exhortation for us...thank you.
A prayer before answering someone is always a good thing.
"Be slow to speak..." (Ja 1:19)
Time mutes anger...

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
petitions.. does not the word say if we KNOW God hears us then we know we have the PETITIONS we asked for..
Hi, Blade >

One thing I think of is how this scripture is saying to make "petitions" "for all men" . . . not only for our own selves, believing God for mainly ourselves. So, yes He wants us to love and care for others, and make "petitions" for others. And I understand, personally, that this includes submitting to God to make me how He wants me to be while praying, and then obey how He has me making petitions for others.

A few sources I just checked say a petition is a request . . . asking for something.

Now ones can be concerned about how much we are guaranteed to get what we ask God to do. But now I see how most of all is that we know who to ask for what is good :)

And when people do different things, "first of all" we are giving God our attention! And instead of looking to people for what we might expect or demand or require them to do, we are humble to look to God for all He is able to do, and we ask this. And even if He does not do some particular thing we itemize, still we know He will do the good which He pleases. And this will surely be more and better than any detailed items we might have included in our asking, whether He includes doing our specifics or not.

So, Jesus says to ask and we will receive. And we ask for all which is possible with God, even better than it is possible for us to think and say.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A prayer before answering someone is always a good thing.
"Be slow to speak..." (Ja 1:19)
Time mutes anger...
Thank you; this is good, too :)

And in prayer we can be "swift to hear" > hear however God communicates with us; this is in James 1:19 which you are quoting. Get His input.

But, of course, God is quiet . . . not silent! So, we need to be attentive, quiet, sensitive, and trust God to make us able to share with Him.

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

But I have spent hours walking in circles, after waking up in the night, maddened and worried about certain people. It can be hours before God gets me the right way and enlightened in His peace, so I am caring for problem people and getting ready to be kind and caring with them. But it is worth it to be so corrected and then trusting the LORD for how He pleases to take care of people.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I Like how prayer and thanksgiving are considered first of all, good to know priorities.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0